• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Usb 3

Smudger

master brummie
I`ve installed a ssd on my laptop, but i don`t have usb 3, so i don`t get the full advantage of the ssd. My laptop doesn`t have a express card slot which i could have used to upgrade to usb 3, so the question is, how can i upgrade usb 2 to usb 3 when i haven`t got a express card slot.? I`ve tried google, but all the advice seems to presume that all laptops have a express card slot! Any advice will be welcome, (just don`t make it too technichal ) TIA.

When you say you dont get the full advantage of the SSD do you mean when copying files TO or FROM the SSD to an external hard drive (or some other USB device)?

That is the only situation where a lack of USB3 would make any difference to an SSD.

When you say you dont get the full advantage of the SSD do you mean when copying files TO or FROM the SSD to an external hard drive (or some other USB device)?

That is the only situation where a lack of USB3 would make any difference to an SSD.
Yes, transferring data to or from the ssd via usb 3. I now have usb 3 & all my back-up files & recovery are on this usb3. It says that usb3 is 10 times faster than usb 2. Hope that makes sense ( I`m not very techie )

USB3 is faster than USB2 but I think ten times faster is a bit much.

I just transferred some files from my PC to two external hard drives.

The first was USB2 and the second USB3 and it went about 3 times faster on USB3.

Of course data transfer speed can depend on the size of the files and the number of files. The time taken for thousands of small files will be different than if it is a couple of large files.

The thing is guilbert, ae far as computers are concerned, we strive to go faster & then faster again. Not that long since usb2 was all the rage & now most new pc`s have usb3. Pretty soon, hard drives will be replaced by ssd ( when the price comes down ) & then in a few years everything will change again, what to i don`t know. Anyway, at my age i`ll make do with what i`ve got.

Smudger,

I had my current machine built to my spec a couple of years ago and it has 14 USB ports on the motherboard, just two of which are USB3, one of which I use for my 2TB external drive. Compared with a similar set up on my other half's machine (which only has USB2), as Guilbert says, it does run appreciably faster when doing backups and other data transfers, but I don't think it achieves anything like ten times faster!

Certainly if I was replacing the machine in the near future I would opt for all USB3 and a large SSD, as I have a large library of musical samples which I use from time to time, but other than that, USB2 still seems to do quite a good job for everyday use.

Maurice

Back