• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

US Base Pheasey Estate

My wording was to avoid thread lock. As we are all tempted, on occasions, to reply to posts when maybe it was best left not commented.
Yes to your last comment.

It was my post that I thought. if commented upon, might cause thread lock. Anyway it is now deleted to save further offence.

Hi Gerry, according to Fran & Martin Collins' book: "They also Serve Who Stand and Wait" (p154); on 9th June 1945 Pheasey Farm was closed as a sub-depot of the 10th Reinforcement Depot. On 10th June the remaining men of the 49th Reinforcement Battalion were alerted for departure. They left Pheasey Farm on 10th July 1945.

Hi Gerry, according to Fran & Martin Collins' book: "They also Serve Who Stand and Wait" (p154); on 9th June 1945 Pheasey Farm was closed as a sub-depot of the 10th Reinforcement Depot. On 10th June the remaining men of the 49th Reinforcement Battalion were alerted for departure. They left Pheasey Farm on 10th July 1945.
Thank you for this Carolann, now I know. It always fascinated me, to think that all those years ago, we would cadge gum at the sentry box, and today, people don't even know it was there. I guess if you look really hard, there would be signs of it all. Once again. Thanks. Gerry

Hi Gerry, quite - such a pity that there's very little evidence. Though on the corner of Doe Bank Lane and Queslett Road, there is (or recently was, within the farmland hedge) one of the brick built gate posts that held the barrier at the sentry post. You would enjoy the book I mentioned above, there is a picture of the Doe Bank sentry post in it. Also once it's accessible again, it's worth a look around Collingwood Centre, some lovely 30s original features in there, which was of course the base HQ. Myself, I am researching the actual Pheasey Farm itself. Do you remember the farmhouse or the barns at all? Apart from the couple already out there, it's very hard to find any pictures of the original farmyard!

Hi Gerry, quite - such a pity that there's very little evidence. Though on the corner of Doe Bank Lane and Queslett Road, there is (or recently was, within the farmland hedge) one of the brick built gate posts that held the barrier at the sentry post. You would enjoy the book I mentioned above, there is a picture of the Doe Bank sentry post in it. Also once it's accessible again, it's worth a look around Collingwood Centre, some lovely 30s original features in there, which was of course the base HQ. Myself, I am researching the actual Pheasey Farm itself. Do you remember the farmhouse or the barns at all? Apart from the couple already out there, it's very hard to find any pictures of the original farmyard!
Carolann, thank you. No I was a very young lad, and was only interested in the chewing gum and the hershey bars. Stay safe, and good luck with you research. Gerry.

Ah yes! Pheasey Community Centre. Thanks for this. No doubt already pin pointed as to its location. But I'll tell you what I think I know - because I can !

It was located next to the Collingwood Drive School, playground entrance, on Hillingford Ave. We called it "The Old Barn". I think I am correct to say that to the right of the single doorway was a group of about 40 or so mainly corrugated asbestos constructed garages [little did they know!!¬] - going down the Hillingford hill. The OB was, part of the complex where Boots the landlords of Pheasey had their hq. As a kid me and my mates used to visit the yard where, for some reason, there was a museum of old charabancs and construction vehicles. We could jump in the cabs of the vehicles and play running bus services or delivering building stuff - we had vivid imaginations in the 50's

I used to park my Austin Somerset (4 door by the way) in one of the lock up garages. It really was good for the ego to rent a garage, even at 19 yrs of age (1966). Garages were paramount in those days as winter starting of cars left to the elements was touch and go - mainly not go! Of course rust was also inherent in car manufacture then! What seem ridiculous now is that I walked 10 mins from our house on Leighton Close - down Linton Road - right Collingwood -up to the school and onto the garage site. The winding drive of the site was, too say the least, a car spring road test. Originally, the houses on the left and right of Hillingford going down from Collingwood junction were not there (built in the '60's) so getting to The Old Barn area from the back of the house on Leighton took 2 minutes or so walk. These fields were a blue bell wood with a flatish surface at the Tynedale end ready made for 17 a side football. Leighton Close and Linton - and there could have been other roads involved - held Coronation Sports Day on this field. My Mum and Dad had a rare Marconi TV and opened up there back door for families to have a peek at the Coronation. as it happened!

I think somewhere on this site I saw a copy of a dance ticket for the Community Centre - if this is the case more than likely my Dad, who became Secretary or was it Chairman of The Community Centre used to get tickets printed by Mr Tector who had his printing works in a wooden factory along Aldridge Road - the one off Queslett Rd - probably near to where Farmer John pub is nowadays.

Another point, earlier Pheasey Gardeners Guild (part of the Community Centre projects) used to have a garage/shed on this site where they the very latest garden composts and plant growth encouraging substances - it used to smell. The 'shop' was open every Sunday morning - Feb to October and was a gathering point for discussion on flowers and veg development and growth. They used to have 2 Flower Shows, annually, originally at the Community Centre and then in the hall of the school. I should know, my Dad was the G.G.club Secretary in the 50's going into the 60's -Bill Marsden. I well knew this as my job on Show days was firstly to help Dad carry all the paperwork, rosettes and certificates to the Old Barn/school and then, employed for pop and sweets, sweep the exhibition arena every hour on the hour of the show!

Most of that was 55 to 67 years ago - I need a drink. good luck to all!!

Welcome Bill and thank you for your detailed memories of the area. A great addition to this thread.

Viv.

Carolann The Prefabs are on this Video outside and inside

Looking at the video, as it swings left with a green area. On that site in the 50,s was a caravan cafe, run by an ex Corporation (BHam) bus driver. It was ideal for a rest for the 29a bus drivers at its terminus after the long route over to Yardley Wood area of the City. He later moved to the corner shop opposite to run a cafe with - new fangled food like burn your mouth roof sausage rolls ! I used collect the Argus for my Dad from Clares, next door throughout the football season delivered to the shop 6.15 pm come hell or high water!!

Actually the 29A ran to Hall Green, Bill. As you point out it was a very long route. There was no catering facilities such as those at Pheasey.

Hi Dave, did you ever post the slide of your old classroom you mentioned on the playground at Pheasey County Sec school on Collingwood Drive? I'm not that great at this but haven't been able to find it. Many thanks.
Collingwood Drive School.

I attended 1959 to 1964. About 1962 the school developed a 5th Year GCE O Level form for the "elite". I, of course, was amongst the group in my years 59-64. (Don't shout it's a rare occasion I get to brag about something!! ). At one time my form class was in the huts room 11 and 12. Can't remember which room we were in. I think during my schooling they changed to room 13 and 14. With the new 5th year created space was a premium and the school built 2 class rooms behind the hall stage designated the form class room for the 5th years. The stage before the build was very deep and well able to deal with big productions put on by the community group and school. Who remembers The Pheasey Review an annual variety show put on by the pupils . Later we put on plays too. I played a drunk in a murder plot!. Still get drunk - but never involved in capital punishment crimes!

Back