• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

US Base Pheasey Estate

Hope this is the correct thread. My elder brother was conscripted in the Army and did his training in Abergaveny? Whilst there he met a young American soldier there and became friends. Brother was then sent to India and this American , Peter] was sent to the Pheasey Base. I was 13/14 and had two younger brothers and Peter became a regular visitor to us in Chingford Road. He gave us his sweet rations and his GUM and his cigarettes to my dad. He also took us children to the Mayfair Cinema often. He was a lovely young man. My brother and he were friends and corresponded till last year when Peter died at the age of 86. We still write to his wife. A little story for you. Miriam.:)

Hello ChrisM. I have just reread your post, and a similar story you have also to remember. Our Peter moved to many places in America after the war - but I remember him writing to us of THE FALL when he lived [with his wife] in Boston and how very beautiful the colours of the trees and falling leaves were. He, Marion and two children visited my brother three times as we all grew older - what memories he leaves of his visits to us, that young American Soldier. [I feel quite weepy.:'( Miriam.

Memories of childhood, Miriam - often upsetting as one gets older.

I don't know what happened to Bob. Wish I knew his surname or exactly where he lived. I know he corresponded with my parents for a while after the war, on one occasion announcing to them that he was getting married as he knew he "couldn't marry your daughter!". All this correspondence is now lost but I wish I knew whether he is still around. The object of his admiration, my sister, has been gone now for 8 years. A gentle, lovely lad. I don't know what he went through in Normandy but my father, a veteran of the Western Front, occasionally wondered how he had got on as an infantry soldier as there didn't seem to be a bone of aggression or violence in his body.

Nothing much to do with Birmingham history or Pheasey, I'm afraid, but fond memories which I cherish.

Chris

Dear ChrisM, Miriam

Loved reading your memories and almost shed a few tears.

I have a 5 Franc note dated 1944, and signed Anthony Marinacio, given to me by a young American who used to go out with my aunt. She used to write to him when he went to France 6th,June 1944 she had a letter return and stamped 'Missing believed killed' we were all very upset. she never heard anything else. But I have kept the 5 Franc note for 65yrs and often get it out for another look and remember that young blond haired chap, I was 15yrs and at the time wished I was as old as my aunt. haha.

Iriselsie:boohoo::(

Hello Iriselsie, Another very sad remembrance.

The girls who lived next door to us [older than me] used to go out with the 'Yanks' and one of them got herself engaged to him, but I know she never left this country when he was re-drafted. So there were the sad and the happy times with our American cousins! Miriam

Hello
We had american soldiers living in our house on the Pheasy Estate during the war. They left all sorts of stuff in the loft, it came as a shock to find it a few years ago.
Im the proud owner of a belt buckle that belonged to an officer, but we also came across coal that had been hidden ready for a cold day. Found loads of cigarette boxes , sweet packets and even peanuts.
Sadly most of the young men who lived in Chantrey Crescent ended up on the beaches on D Day and lost there lives. My house is more intresting knowing the history and the antics that some of the soldiers got up to.
Martin Collins has written a book on the history of the soldiers and the area, sorry cant remember the name of the book but its a great read.
Adele

After D-Day many parcels from US that had been sent to American troops stationed on the Pheasey wasn't delivered.The camp commander (think he was a colonel) decided to have these parcels burnt on a piece of waste ground on the right hand side of Rough Rd.just before Chester Rd.As kids we would go and see if there was any thing from these parcels we could salvage.Seem to remember the colonel finished off in trouble over matter

Another dump from the americans is on Barr Beacon and on the field off Doe Bank park. The big trucks were just put into the ground and covered with soil. Guess they didnt want locals to have them and they wouldnt ship them back stateside.
Adele

Hello
We had american soldiers living in our house on the Pheasy Estate
There is a link in the first post in this thread to the book you mentioned. It was called 'They Also Serve, Who Stand and Wait'. The book explains why the Commanding Officer got into trouble. I was one of the kids in WW2 who often met those soldiers.:)

Just re-joined after a while off-site and its great to read all about the old area. I was born along with my Sister and Brother at 120, Calshot Road, and wondered if anyone else on the site remembers us. I'm Gerry, my sister is Jennifer and younger brother is Jeff. I was born in 1939, and Jenn and Jeff in 47 and 49.
Hope to hear from someone from the past.
Bye.

This is a picture of our American friend [post 41] - it was taken at Hochst. Germany in July 28th 1945. On ther back of the photo he had written " just so you wont forget this mate of yours." We never did. Miriam.

Sorry picture isn't upright [don't know how to turn it ].

hi..im new to this wonderful site, but just wanted to add, i grew up at number 5 collingwood drive, my dad was a war baby, he was from copthorne avenue originally, dad always reckoned the officers stayed in our house at collingwood, just wondered if anyone could verify this? much thanks x

Hi Woodie38
Welcome and enjoy this fantastic site, i have found so many wonderfull people who are willing to help look up details for you.
Im not sure where the officers sayed i do know that the first house in Romney Way was the guard house and there used to be a fence to stop the kids getting on to the estate. Im sure someone will be able to help as some people do remember.
Adele

Hi. Just read your comment on Ann Bolton of Perrywood Rd Gt Barr. Wondering if it was the girl I went to school with Aldridge Rd Or may have been Mary Bolton. did you ever heaar from her. Marilyn

Hi. I went to Aldridge Rd school, when it was first built 1940, I was born 1929, I lived on the Kings rd. Near Shady Lane.
My friends were, Jean Shergold, Beryl Brunt, I lost touch after 1949 when I married.

Miss Fisher was the head mistress, we had Miss Unsworth, Miss Southall. I'm afraid I can't remember the names of the other teachers. The boy's school had Dr Lock as their head master. A tyrant.

Hi, I went to Aldridge late 40's born 1936 it was a lovely modern school with kitchens to cook but never allowed to use most of the beautiful gym equipment. The Clinic/Dentist and the smell. Rememebr Shady Lane.Mrs Fisher. Miss Southall, Mrs Melton very strict but an iteresting teacher. Miss Plummer Favourite was Mrs Grigg. My brother was always complaining about Mr Lock. Remember seeing 2 classrooms bombed from Foden Rd where we lived.

Back