• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

US Base Pheasey Estate

The Commanding Officer of 322 Reinforcement Company used the house on the left. The house next door was used as the Orderly Room. The houses were on the corner of Chantrey Crescent and Romney Way.
View attachment 142624

The houses today ... the one on the right extended ...
View attachment 142625
I wonder if this was the Commanding Officer of a tale I've mentioned here before?

The Home Guard (including my Dad) were asked to act out being enemy forces and protect Barr Beacon from invading allied forces aka the regiment based on Pheasey. This was organised to 1. give the US corps practice and 2. get used to snow and cold for the real European war. This was on a December week end. Remember most Home Guard troops were working on Saturdays (not sure if it was a full shift until 6pm). Barr Beacon was then and remains quite chilly in winter! The HG took up positions at about 8pm and waited and waited and eh waited for the invasion. At about 10:30pm the HG Commander (Mr Foster) made a field line call to the US Commander to request tentatively if the invasion is likely soon. Upon which the US Commander responded - "Gee, Commander it's much too cold to send my troops out in such weather"

I cannot confirm this incidents veracity but it's a good story. Almost a plot line from Dad's Army and I believed everything my Dad told me - did you? What's more I've enjoyed many drinks bought me over the years in reciting the story embellished, naturally, as all good stories.

I wonder if this was the Commanding Officer of a tale I've mentioned here before?

The Home Guard (including my Dad) were asked to act out being enemy forces and protect Barr Beacon from invading allied forces aka the regiment based on Pheasey. This was organised to 1. give the US corps practice and 2. get used to snow and cold for the real European war. This was on a December week end. Remember most Home Guard troops were working on Saturdays (not sure if it was a full shift until 6pm). Barr Beacon was then and remains quite chilly in winter! The HG took up positions at about 8pm and waited and waited and eh waited for the invasion. At about 10:30pm the HG Commander (Mr Foster) made a field line call to the US Commander to request tentatively if the invasion is likely soon. Upon which the US Commander responded - "Gee, Commander it's much too cold to send my troops out in such weather"

I cannot confirm this incidents veracity but it's a good story. Almost a plot line from Dad's Army and I believed everything my Dad told me - did you? What's more I've enjoyed many drinks bought me over the years in reciting the story embellished, naturally, as all good stories.

Looking beyond the Curtains View attachment 153069
Good photo looking onto the stage
Looking beyond the Curtains View attachment 153069
Good photo looking onto the stage. As far as I recall the back wall and doors in the picture of the stage were added to a accommodate construction of the two classrooms behind the artificial wall. The original stage went back much further. Nice to see that the proscenium surrounding the stage space is still in tact. Art Deco ? Nice One!

Hi, I’m currently researching family history, what I’d like to know is if anyone knows of any Canadian or American bases based around Erdington in early 1950’s if so let me know
Thanks Stella

Depends how near. There was an American base on Pheasey estate about 4 or 5 miles away

MY WIFE LIVED IN 31 RIPPINGILLE ROAD IN 1960S LYNDA BUXTON
Hi Chris, Do you remember me, I helped you move your furniture to your new home in Tamworth, in a speedy commer van if I remember right, about the same time you were hit over the head with an ashtray in the Trees public house, small world,

I spent the first few years of my life at 51 Rippingille road. I have been looking back at the houses that I lived in as a child and remember my parents telling me that the US army lived in the houses on Rippingille road and after the war they were then sold off. I am sure that my mother told me that my father had to queue with £50 to buy one of the houses. Sadly my mother is no longer alive to ask more questions, does anyone have any more information about the houses on Rippingille Road and their history. I remember attending Barr Beacon infants school for a short time before we moved Harbourne.

I spent the first few years of my life at 51 Rippingille road. I have been looking back at the houses that I lived in as a child and remember my parents telling me that the US army lived in the houses on Rippingille road and after the war they were then sold off. I am sure that my mother told me that my father had to queue with £50 to buy one of the houses. Sadly my mother is no longer alive to ask more questions, does anyone have any more information about the houses on Rippingille Road and their history. I remember attending Barr Beacon infants school for a short time before we moved Harbourne.
Hi, some time ago, here on this site, we had a long run about the camp, and the houses and who lived where on the Estate, lots of pictures too ( this is one of many) so I would expect a lot of replies to your post. Thanks. Gerry.GIs_on_Pheasey_WW2.jpg

I have an excellent book by Fran and Martin Collins called 'They also serve who stand and wait'. A history of Pheasey Farms, US Army Replacement depot-sub depot of the 10th Replacement Depot 1942/1945. Lots of stories and photographs from people involved there. (Brewin Books).

Back