• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

Hello Susan. Though I should have been in school, I really loved my times working at ansells & HP sauce. Loved the mixed aroma of the vinegar & hops. The area had it's own distinct smell, (now sadly gone). How I miss those days.
My mom worked at Ansells brewery on Aston Cross at the time we were at Upper Thomas st. I did make a trip back but most of what I remembered was gone. Found Holy Trinity church Birchfield, my nan was verger there for many years, lived in Trinity house right opposite the church in Trinity road. My brother and I would always get roped in with dusting all the pew's with the wrvs women happy days

My mom worked at Ansells brewery on Aston Cross at the time we were at Upper Thomas st. I did make a trip back but most of what I remembered was gone. Found Holy Trinity church Birchfield, my nan was verger there for many years, lived in Trinity house right opposite the church in Trinity road. My brother and I would always get roped in with dusting all the pew's with the wrvs women happy days
They were certainly happy days susan. How I wish I had a time machine & go back to those days occasionally.

Yes I went there, my younger brother was in the infants at the time I was in the annex, we lived in upper Sutton street but I had to walk all the way back to Upper Thomas street to collect my brother never forget the telling off I got when going home and forgetting to pick him up lol We left in 68 and moved to Tamworth. Annex always freezing cold and damp. After 11+ I went on to Manor Park
I can vaguely remember the Annexe being in Tower Road, I'm pretty sure in the second year of primary School spending a year in the Annexe and playing marbles in the quadrangle which passed for the playground. I would habve been 7 or 8 at this time so around 1963.

Yes I went there, my younger brother was in the infants at the time I was in the annex, we lived in upper Sutton street but I had to walk all the way back to Upper Thomas street to collect my brother never forget the telling off I got when going home and forgetting to pick him up lol We left in 68 and moved to Tamworth. Annex always freezing cold and damp. After 11+ I went on to Manor Park
Yes I was at UTS 63 - 67 and was at the annexe for my third year, I remember my teacher was a large african guy wore a black round hat and had a slipper he called Sam Brown

I was in the same class as Terry Cotter throughout my senior schools years, Michael was a couple of years older than Terry and myself, Gerry Birch, I lived by a Gerry Birch in Great Barr during the late 1970's earlier 1980's on the Aldridge Road not far from the Great Barr Comp, he attended UTS but was a year or two older than myself, I didn't remember him form UTS, He told me his best mate at school was Frank Martin....

I was in the same class as Terry Cotter throughout my senior schools years, Michael was a couple of years older than Terry and myself, Gerry Birch, I lived by a Gerry Birch in Great Barr during the late 1970's earlier 1980's on the Aldridge Road not far from the Great Barr Comp, he attended UTS but was a year or two older than myself, I didn't remember him form UTS, He told me his best mate at school was Frank Martin....
i was in mr baileys class with mates ronnie whitehouse. tommy northfield between 66 70

Ronnie Whitehouse was also a mate of mine, he lived at the bottom of Upper Webster Street, Celtic fan....he was in the year below me, I don't recall Tommy Northfield, ...but from your year was my best mate for many years was Steven Pinkerton, also I can recall Peter Fletcher, Donald Wood, both lived in Burlington Street, Roger Sherratt and Rod Birch founder of this forum who lived in Phillip Street, Alan Wilson who lived in the same street as myself Clarendon Street, probably others who's names escape me for the moment......Tony Whitehouse no relation to Ronnie who lived on the corner of Park Lane and Barton Street...I was in Baileys class when I was in the third year, and in my last year I had Hurford....I hated school but I enjoyed my childhood days...

i am don wood lived next door to peter fletcher. ronnie was a man utd fan as well i rememder roger sherratt good little fooballer . ad a drink with ronnie whitehouse some years ago

Hi Don.....nice to hear from you, a very very long time no see about 50 years I think, hope life has been good to you, I spoke to one of your brothers on here sometime ago,The last time I saw Ronnie again its has to be 40 plus years ago, he was running down I think Kingstanding Road towards the College Road, I was on the bus so I couldn't speak to him, I spoke to Roger on facebook last year, the day he left school his family moved out of the area , he now lives in Telford, this internet has made the world smaller and its nice to hear from my old school mates, take care John ( John K Colin )

Hi Don.....nice to hear from you, a very very long time no see about 50 years I think, hope life has been good to you, I spoke to one of your brothers on here sometime ago,The last time I saw Ronnie again its has to be 40 plus years ago, he was running down I think Kingstanding Road towards the College Road, I was on the bus so I couldn't speak to him, I spoke to Roger on facebook last year, the day he left school his family moved out of the area , he now lives in Telford, this internet has made the world smaller and its nice to hear from my old school mates, take care John ( John K Colin )
nice to hear from u john bringin back good memories from how school day take care , don wood

o, Terry Cotter 57 Dead, Micheal Cotter 59 Dead.
I am so sorry to hear this Geoff, I was in the same class through out my senior days with Terry, good swimmer and cricketer , I can recall the first time I saw Terry, he was playing cricket for Upper Thomas Street junior school against us Burlington Street juniors, I think he beat us on his own...The last time I spoke to Terry was via friends reunited way way back , he told me he had broke his back in a fall while working for the GEC I think....must admit this news has come as a bit of a shocker to me.....

Back