• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

View attachment 131933
that was a great film he made "the train set" and whistle down the wind.
That took me by surprise, seeing that about Ray Holder. I can just about remember him, as I was not at Upper Thomas street for long, due to the bullying. I wagged it for ages until I went to an open air school near bromsgrove. Really loved whistle down the wind, as did my mum.

My Dad went to Upper Thomas Street in the 30's - he always told us about Roy Holder also being an UTS boy whenever he was on in anything!

My Dad went to Upper Thomas Street in the 30's - he always told us about Roy Holder also being an UTS boy whenever he was on in anything!
When I was there, I never knew roy by name, just remember his face. He was in the seniors when I started there. He would be about 8 years older than me.

It was an advertisement for Neals the boot repairers.....the painting was of a worms view looking up at the sole's of the policemans boots.....
Thank you Aston Lad. That always had me baffled. I once asked my dad & grand parents if they knew as they lived in Park Lane, but they never told me. Always remember when I was little that when I saw that, I knew I was not far from home.

When I was there, I never knew roy by name, just remember his face. He was in the seniors when I started there. He would be about 8 years older than me.
, Roy was 7 years older than myself....his dad died when he was about 4 years old, his mother married Benjamin Dow they had a son named Malcolm who was a close mate of mine from the mid 1960's to early 1970's when we lost touch, the family moved to Bordesley in 1970 ....Michael you name rings a bell with me, did you live on Park Lane or a street close by it ?...

Last edited:
, Roy was 7 years older than myself....his dad died when he was about 4 years old, his mother married Benjamin Dow they had a son named Malcolm who was a close mate of mine from the mid 1960's to early 1970's when we lost touch, the family moved to Bordesley in 1970 ....Michael you name rings a bell with me, did you live on Park Lane or a street close by it ?...
Hello Aston Lad. My dad's parents lived in Park Lane, & we lived in Potters lane, next to the fish shop just down from the shareholders pub. That was our first house after I was born.

Michael ...did you attend both Burlington Street and Upper Thomas Street schools ?..if so there is a good chance our paths crossed when we were kiddies in Aston...my family left Clarendon Street in 1969 to live in Kingstanding....Can you remember any of your school mates

Michael ...did you attend both Burlington Street and Upper Thomas Street schools ?..if so there is a good chance our paths crossed when we were kiddies in Aston...my family left Clarendon Street in 1969 to live in Kingstanding....Can you remember any of your school mates
hello Aston Lad. I first went to Burlington Street School at the age of 4. Miss Rock was my first teacher. Then I went to Elkington Street junior school before going to Upper Thomas Street. Unfortunately,there is only one person I can remember from days at those schools, that was a girl named Ann Bird, she was in my class at Elkington Street. I only remember her as she helped me get home as I could not walk due to having cramp after sitting for a long time at our school christmas party. I can remember starting at Upper thomas Street & being tied to to basket ball posts in the playground & having medicine balls threw at me, then having my head put down the toilet as part of my initiation. I didn't like the school after that & had a term & a half playing truant, but spent my time working , loading the lorries at Ansells Brewery & H.P sauce. I loved that work until my dad caught me. I just can not remember the head masters name though. I think it was Mr Thomas. I know he was old, had a bald head & wore glasses.

Mr Parker was the headmaster at Upper Thomas Street.....I also had Miss Rock in the infants....., I don't know if you are on facebook at all, because there is a group for Upper Thomas Street on there, and a good one to be a member of is Astonbrook-through -Astonmanor, I know the admin on here don't mind me advertising other groups, because we do try to work hand in hand...well some of us do.....

Mr Parker was the headmaster at Upper Thomas Street.....I also had Miss Rock in the infants....., I don't know if you are on facebook at all, because there is a group for Upper Thomas Street on there, and a good one to be a member of is Astonbrook-through -Astonmanor, I know the admin on here don't mind me advertising other groups, because we do try to work hand in hand...well some of us do.....
Hi Aston Lad. Ya right. It was Mr Parker. Was not too keen on him though. I am on facebook. Will check that out shortly. thank you for that info Aston Lad. If only I could remember or stayed in touch with a few pupils from my school days. We may have knew each other all those years ago.

how strange maurice that very same photo took me right back to learning to swim at victoria road swimming baths...we were doing the same thing....holding onto the bars but with no support from other children..the teacher walked down the line and decided i was not putting effort in so she put her foot on my head and pressed down on it...that was it...down i went...i was traumatised ...after i left school i went to monument road swimming baths with a couple of mates who were good swimmers with the aim of learning to swim...got as far as getting changed but i just couldnt get into the pool and ive never been able to do so since...a great regret of mine....of course this behaviour by a teacher would not be allowed today

lyn
a second of action from a idiot like that,can ruin a persons life for ever,

Pete,

I don't know about ruining my life. I was just glad when I didn't have to go again! I was always wary of deep water, and I don't think that is a bad thing. The coastal areas of Crete become a paradise for tourists in the summer and it gets rather hot down there, always well over 30C and I've known it up to 46C. Whilst I can tolerate those temperatures, I hate sandy beaches, and much prefer to go up in the mountains enjoying all the flora & fauna, and it is a much more equable temperature up there......and peaceful! :)

Maurice

Hello Aston Lad. I have found the group on facebook & am now a member. Saw a photo of all the teachers. I recognised Mr Parker straight away, even though it has been around 54 years since I was there. The memories keep flooding back. I bet we was in the same class when being taught by Miss Rock.

We may have been ....but I am a little bit older than you I think....born in 1953....but you would have been in the same class of my old mates....
I was born in 54, so would have been in the same class as your mates. Pity I was so shy & never mixed with anyone at that time.

Does anyone remember a PT teacher named Mr Clarke , really fit chap , it was about 1964 and he took on the best swimmer in the school Stephen Newton well he had no chance Stephen beat him , he wasn't so cocky after that. Every time the sun came out Mr Clarke would be out there on a chair at UTS annexe Aston Hall Road topping up his tan , nice bloke . Raz x

I was born in 54, so would have been in the same class as your mates. Pity I was so shy & never mixed with anyone at that time.
Hi Michael. I would have been at UTS at the same time as you. I was born in March 55 so I was there from Sept 59/60 until July66 when I left to go to Grammar School. My name is Michael Carney and we lived at 1/161 Clifton Road until we moved to Kingstanding in 69.

Does anyone remember a PT teacher named Mr Clarke , really fit chap , it was about 1964 and he took on the best swimmer in the school Stephen Newton well he had no chance Stephen beat him , he wasn't so cocky after that. Every time the sun came out Mr Clarke would be out there on a chair at UTS annexe Aston Hall Road topping up his tan , nice bloke . Raz x
Raz....He left for a short while to become a profession tennis player, he wasn't any good at that either.....

Hi Michael. I would have been at UTS at the same time as you. I was born in March 55 so I was there from Sept 59/60 until July66 when I left to go to Grammar School. My name is Michael Carney and we lived at 1/161 Clifton Road until we moved to Kingstanding in 69.
Hi michael. Unfortunately, I can not remember many people from my school days at UTS, as I found it hard to make friends due to the bullying I got when I first went there. My Parker (nobby) would not do anything to stop this happening, so I wagged it & worked at ansells brewery & HP sauce loading the lorries until I left to go to an open air school near bromsgrove in 65. I was born in 54 & lived in bracebridge street at the time.

Does anyone rember the annex for upper Thomas street school. It was in Tower street ithnk
Yes I went there, my younger brother was in the infants at the time I was in the annex, we lived in upper Sutton street but I had to walk all the way back to Upper Thomas street to collect my brother never forget the telling off I got when going home and forgetting to pick him up lol We left in 68 and moved to Tamworth. Annex always freezing cold and damp. After 11+ I went on to Manor Park

Hi michael. Unfortunately, I can not remember many people from my school days at UTS, as I found it hard to make friends due to the bullying I got when I first went there. My Parker (nobby) would not do anything to stop this happening, so I wagged it & worked at ansells brewery & HP sauce loading the lorries until I left to go to an open air school near bromsgrove in 65. I was born in 54 & lived in bracebridge street at the time.
Always remember the smell from HP and the giant bottles of sauce we used to have at dinner time lol happy days.

Hi just checked back on this forum and a " baron" mentioned back in June 2006 that he lived in tower rd where ther was a Mission hall ,and was used as an annex for upper Thomas street.
Yes my brother and I went to Upper Thomas st and I did a year at the annex. I left UTs in 66 and then did two years at Manor Park girls, we left Upper Sutton St in 68 and moved to a village (Warton) outside of Tamworth.

I lived on Upper Sutton street and I went to Upper Thomas school, my teacher was Mr Sears he was a lovely teacher, I remember a Mr Hoffman, Mrs Truman? childhood friend was Pat Quigley who lived on Upper Thomas street I think Pat had a sister called Josephine?, Carol Ali lived on Upper Sutton Street? Barbara Strachen? Barbara Babbington? Gail? Elaine?. Boys I remembered was Desmond Chambers, Barry Elliston, Curtis Stapleton, Paul Gaskin?
Mr Hoffman, belted me with a ruler around my legs. So after telling my dad that night he went down the school at home time the next night and got hold of Hoffman sat him in a dustbin on one of the posts outside the school. He ran and jumped on a bus so dad followed the bus. Never had any trouble with him after that. Dad used to pick up my brother and I with our pet monkey in the car. The kids loved to see him. We lived in Upper Sutton st. next to the fish and chip shop. Will have to ask my brother if he remembers any of the names.

When I attend the school 1964 to 1968, (the senior boys) the annex was part of the Aston Hall Road School, which was a mile or two away, not sure about the junior and infants cannot remember an annex or a school in Tower Road ....not in my time .....
I was there at the same times as you mention and did a year in the annex in Tower Road.

My brothers went to Upper Thomas Street School, Michael & Terry Cotter, we lived in Upper Sutton Street.
I'm sure I remember the name Cotter, as my brother and I also lived in Upper Sutton street next door to the fish and chip shop. Did your family live in the maisonettes across the road from us, I'm sure my brother Colin has mentioned a Geoffrey Cotter.

Always remember the smell from HP and the giant bottles of sauce we used to have at dinner time lol happy days.
Hello Susan. Though I should have been in school, I really loved my times working at ansells & HP sauce. Loved the mixed aroma of the vinegar & hops. The area had it's own distinct smell, (now sadly gone). How I miss those days.

Back