• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

I went to both upper Thomas st schools, (Juniors and seniors) between 1961-1969. The headmaster I remember was Mr Parker, a small man, with glasses. anyone remember him.
My teachers were Mr Anderson, Mr Frances, Mr Edwards, Mr Evans, Mr Nichols.
Hi Astonboy
I went to Upper Thomas Street Infants & Juniors from 1960-1966. I didn't go to the Senior School. We lived in Clifton Road. Unfortunately, I can't remember anyones names or teachers names. I can remember we had a lady teacher in Junior School around 1965 and in 1966, if I remember correctly, the teacher who ran the Junior School football team also ran a team, Birmingham United, who played their matches in somewhere in Shirley. I can remember being picked to play for them and going on tour in Belgium and Holland at Easter 1966. Hopefully someone will remember me and jog my aging memory. Mike Carney

hi folks i have on loan the original admission register for upper thomas st infant boys school..found in a bin wagon when the school was demolished..admissions start from 1921 to 1944 and give information of those who left the school and for what reason and where they were evacuated to during ww2 also those who ended up in various homes it also states their home addresses and if they died while attending this school the cause of death so very useful info....if anyone had rellies who went to this school i am quite happy to look through it to try and find their names and take a photo of the page..cant scan it as the book is too large...not had time to trawl through it properly but i dont think i had anyone at this school

lyn
Hi
My grandmother Leah clayton (married name jones)worked at upper Thomas street School. Do you have any information employees at the school. On her death certificate 1923 it says she her occupation was at council schools upper Thomas street Aston. Thanks Raye

sorry ray no info on employees just info on the admissions of boys only..hope you enjoy the forum

lyn

Hi Lyn.....Does the book cover the senior school or the infant and juniors ?, if it's the senior boys, can you please check to see if my dad and uncle are mentioned ? my Dad Kenneth Colin and my uncle Ronald Colin, my dad was the elder of the two, thank you ...

hi phoebe i had to return the book as i said earlier i only had a limited time to do look ups but i should be able to borrow it back...will be in touch asap

lyn

Thank you Lyn, I only drop in from time to time, so didn't see this till now. No rush though, don't put yourself out.

no problem phoebe i shall have the register tomorrow.... fingers crossed that douglas is listed...by the way is he a rellie of yours just curious oh if if you know his parents names and where he lived that may also help but dont worry if not

lyn

hi pheobe think i have found him...

DOUGLAS DAVIS...DATE OF BIRTH 25TH NOVEMBER 1927..DATE OF ADMISSION 28TH NOVEMBER 1932...ADDRESS 18 CHESHIRE STREET...NEXT OF KIN (WRITING NOT GOOD BUT IT LOOKS LIKE WALTER) DATE OF LAST ATTENDANCE 18TH OF MAY 1934...CAUSE OF LEAVING.. GONE TO NEWBURY

hope this is your man...

lyn

Wow thanks Lyn, that was quick! Yes, that's my uncle. Walter is correct, but are you sure the year is 1934? I thought he and my mum were sent off to their uncle in Berkshire soon after the war broke out. My grandparents joined them a bit later and the family never went back to live in Birmingham. There was a tale that Walter, my granddad, took a sack of live chickens with him on the train! :D

hi pheobe double checked and its quite clear that he started the school in 1932 and his last date of attendance was in 1934 reason given gone to newbury...i cant scan the page as the register is way too bit but i maybe able to take a couple of photos of the 2 pages for you that show the relevant details and post them...let me know if you would like me to give it a go

lyn

No, thanks, Lyn, it isn't important, just a bit earlier than I expected. He must have gone back before the war though, because both children are in Birmingham with their parents in the 1939 register.

ok phoebe...yes it could be they only stayed a short while in newbury then came back to brum then back to newbury ...its even possible he went back to upper thomas st school..bit late now but tomorrow i will just take a look to see if he was admitted again...

lyn

Not sure exactly what the caption means on this 30 September 1939 clipping. Does it mean they were evacuated on their own ? Or does it mean they stayed behind ? Not sure. Viv.

C0A0BEB1-35B5-4332-AF4E-5E499D04F30A.jpeg

Post 134......They way I read it is ...they stayed behind and lived with theirs parents...they may have been an only child ...great photo....

My wife's first school as a teacher was Uper Thomas Street 1958 - 1962. She had not been there very long when they discovered that she was a swimmer and enjoyed swimming and they advised her that one of her jobs was a regular trip with the girls to Aston Baths. So she took them, 60 of them on her own from UTS to Aston Baths, did the swimming lesson and then marched them all back. Everyone enjoyed themselves and it became her regular job. It would not be allowed today and they would have all had to wear hi-vis vests.

Bob

The Ansell Shield used to hang on the wall facing the headmasters office, it was quite a large trophy ....I have always wondered what ever happen to that and the other cups etc which the school won ....

I was at UTS from 1957 till 1967 it was a great school , best teacher in the juniors was Miss Foulkes she was brill and Mr Evans Art Teacher in the seniors. I lived at 32 Clifton Road with my mom and dad and brothers and sisters, we were all poor in them days but we did alright Raz x

Last edited:
Back