• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

I lived on Upper Sutton street and I went to Upper Thomas school, my teacher was Mr Sears he was a lovely teacher, I remember a Mr Hoffman, Mrs Truman? childhood friend was Pat Quigley who lived on Upper Thomas street I think Pat had a sister called Josephine?, Carol Ali lived on Upper Sutton Street? Barbara Strachen? Barbara Babbington? Gail? Elaine?. Boys I remembered was Desmond Chambers, Barry Elliston, Curtis Stapleton, Paul Gaskin?

Hi Dot,
Paul gaskin was my best friends younger brother we was brought up together at Lichfield ,rd
And there mother was Sammy and ireneie gaskin my friend whom was is older brother was Colin we both joined the forces together
He followed his father into the tank company k was in the 1 st Battilion of the Royal Waricks

They moved out of Cromwell terrace up to tower road loved to know where they moved from tower rdhe had two sisters as well they both
Worked at HP Sauce In those Days IF anybody knows of there where about I would sincerely love to hear from them
Best wishes astonian,,,,,

3 photos of the kids of upper thomas st school...the football team is dated 1965/66 and i would think the other 2 are about the same date...wonder if any of our members are on them..thanks to gingerjon for sending them to me..

lyn

Attachments

• UTSS-class.jpg
    UTSS-class.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 107
  • UTSS-class-2.jpg
    UTSS-class-2.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 104
  • UTSS-football-team-1965-66-.jpg
    UTSS-football-team-1965-66-.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi this may be a long shot would one remember the Roberts family who lived at 64 Upper Thomas Street & 72 Tintern Road.

Hi All,

I never attended Upper Thomas Street School but I do remember that in the 60s it had a great reputation for boxing.

Old Boy

Last edited:
I attended UTSS from 1948 to 1958, Mr York was head then, I recall the school starting a house system Perry- Hill- Ogden- Holt. I think in memory of Mr Hill.
Mr Hurford, Gillard, Powel, Ellery, are a few teachers there then.
I remember the school preps for the Queens coronation, also us all sitting in the hall and watching a film about Hillary and Hunts success on Mount Everest, in later years I became a mountain guide/instructor running my own outdoor pursuits company, then working for University of Wales overseeing a degree course in outdoor ed, I'm sure that film sparked the interest that lead me to climb around the globe. Good old UTSS.

HI, I don,t think you have the right address in U.T.S, Starting at No. 74 Mullins, No. 72 (shop) Robinsons No.70 Shaws No.68 Freemans No. 66 Fords No.64 Phillips No 62? (SHOP) Boswells later Gardeners (Robert) No 62 Tamplins
These families lived at these addresses from early 40s until they the properties were demolished .
Perhaps the address was 64 Thomas St. Number 64 U.T.S would have been opposite U.T.S School.

found this one in our box of family photo's I am the guy front left the only one other I can name is the chap next to me Roy Haynes ? take at Upper Thomas St Senior School when Mr York was the Headmaster.
Anyone know others on here ?

Attachments

• The Upper Thomas St  M8 .jpg
    The Upper Thomas St M8 .jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 67
another great read viv...its amazing how many pupils from brum schools that went on to find fame..

lyn

My wife started her teaching career at Upper Thomas Street in 1958 she was Miss Hobbs then, but we married and she left in 1962 as Mrs Davis, she had some interesting times there with the girls swimming and the school outings.
Bob

Back