• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

When I attend the school 1964 to 1968, (the senior boys) the annex was part of the Aston Hall Road School, which was a mile or two away, not sure about the junior and infants cannot remember an annex or a school in Tower Road ....not in my time .....

hi ray barratt
you say you lived around the corner from the school which corner was you speaking off ;
because up the rd yards from the school there was a fruit and veg shop and another little shop half way up and that rd was clifton rd
i walked up and down that street for years back and forth as i lived down on the lichfield rd and i knew some familys there one was the ward family down the back of the houses by the shop ;
butwhat springs into my mind the houss half way up on the right hand side of the rd was a big painted old signage it was abit old by the ware and tear of the weather conditions in a white distemper paint ; quite large in size ; and its said barratts tea chests bussiness ; was that any part of your family ancesters
bussiness or what ; incidently my sister inlaw married a barratt many years ago s she is a barratt ;
and at the top of that rd passing thoses houses right on the corner of clifton rd and park rd there was a leather inporter of leathe bags and etc selling crocidile bags and etc do you remember that aor th churc at the top of park rd and it took the corner of upperportlad rd and around back onto the park rd where the front entrance of the church was and along there was buckinghams the chemist with all is blue bottles
this is the fortys i am recalling best wishes astonian ;

Hi just checked back on this forum and a " baron" mentioned back in June 2006 that he lived in tower rd where ther was a Mission hall ,and was used as an annex for upper Thomas street.

HI TWYNING
Cor -blimey you are going back abit aint ya;
yes its true ; but they was removed in the very early years of the fifties-1 or 2 as i recall
you would not know the place now the main gates at the front of the aston parish church went many decades ago along with all the railing
the views have gone the parkie went many moons ago along with the swings and all the gear
i do not know whether perter pan asgone or not [ the fountain as you recall; ] to be honest i am hoping to make a trip there shorly ; and to be honest i am dreading it ; to see the state of my beloved park that i grew up with in ;
i will keep you posted astonian;

Yes I can go back a bit.To 1938 when Birmingham had a pageant in the park I made a gowee out of some of the seating boards and pram wheels.My mom worked on bottle viewing at Ansells in the war.She was entitled and family to use the basement of the brewery as an air raid shelter.It was equipted as an emergency hospital.One night after a raid the General Hospital was evacuated and some patients were brought down.I spent lots nights there.I think it was Birmingham one night then retaliate to Hamburg next night over four night period.I
Was evacuated in 1939-1942.Then home at fourteen to work at Tube investments.
Thats another story they say.
TWYNING

upper thomas street sec mod boys school.

has anybody got fotos or memories of upper thomas street sec mod boys school during the mr reeves b f jones harry hurford era, I met mr gillard the technical drawing teacher in northfield many years ago he was in his eighties but still active and compos mentes,I was caned a few times with the cane he had with a knob on the end, I have a photo of him that I will try to post taken in his home in 1996, I remember the school hall being used by trevor burton and the everglades, later trevor burton of the move for band practice on thursday nights.

hi everyone I was at uts 1935-1939 then evacuated started at aston station to cheltenham.Loved going to Victoria baths 1/2 penny for a cossy.What happened to all the swimming trophies and shields?.
twyning

Hi Twyning I wonder whether you remember my brother Ted Wallace, he is 86 now and has lived in Australia for over 60 years, he went to UTS mad on football, and he evacuated to Cheltenham too, he hated it and didn't stay there very long. A long shot I know.

Hi twyning I have photo's of those trophies with the late Bill Eggison who was once my swimming coach and then my boss when I first started swimming instructing myself. I will try to put one on later.

Hi Twyning I wonder whether you remember my brother Ted Wallace, he is 86 now and has lived in Australia for over 60 years, he went to UTS mad on football, and he evacuated to Cheltenham too, he hated it and didn't stay there very long. A long shot I know.
certainly a long shot name doesnt ring a bell.Lots kids went home early1940 then rest of us rounded up and sent to Shooting Butts camp at Rugeley 240 bots there at any one time.
I was there two years and loved it.
Twyning.

UpperThonas St had a playground netting around it on the roof.It overlooked Park Rd Terrace houses.
Twyning

I was a prefect but probably around 1936-38. I remember reporting the lates but it was Mr Sam Ogden as Head Master then. Got any photos of this era? Love to hear from you!

Re: upper thomas street sec mod boys school.

Hi Rank!
I have just come across this web site and found it quite fascinating...I too was at UpperThomas Street boys school and I certainly remember Messers Reeves (The Head) Bert Hurford and Mr Gillard, yes, he was into Technical Drawing. He was my form tutor if I remember rightly. I have no pictures at all of my school days, I was at UTS from 1956 (Summer) until I left at Christmas 1960
My name is David Williams by the way and some of my classmates were..Alan Pugh,Leslie Scrivens, John Taylor, Roy Holder, for the life of me I cannot think of any other names right now.
I see the school has been demolished and indeed the whole area has changed. I live in East Yorkshire and get to Birmingham about once a month to visit my remaining parent. I was born in Whitehouse Street just off Aston Road. If you have any photographs on line here or if you could direct me to an appropriate site I would be extremely grateful if you would let me know.

my dad went to upper Thomas street school in about 1957, he remember roy holder, his name was Arthur moss.
can anyone remember him.

Re: upper thomas street sec mod boys school.

Hi David, the only photo I have of upper thomas street school is one of mister gillard taken years ago when he was in his eighties, I can let you have a copy if you send me your e. mail address.
Hi Rank!
I have just come across this web site and found it quite fascinating...I too was at UpperThomas Street boys school and I certainly remember Messers Reeves (The Head) Bert Hurford and Mr Gillard, yes, he was into Technical Drawing. He was my form tutor if I remember rightly. I have no pictures at all of my school days, I was at UTS from 1956 (Summer) until I left at Christmas 1960
My name is David Williams by the way and some of my classmates were..Alan Pugh,Leslie Scrivens, John Taylor, Roy Holder, for the life of me I cannot think of any other names right now.
I see the school has been demolished and indeed the whole area has changed. I live in East Yorkshire and get to Birmingham about once a month to visit my remaining parent. I was born in Whitehouse Street just off Aston Road. If you have any photographs on line here or if you could direct me to an appropriate site I would be extremely grateful if you would let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peter: It's best to private message David Williams through the site. If we leave personal e-mails on the site they can be picked up
and used by outsiders.

Last edited:
Back