• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Thomas Street 1949-50

Ray Barrett

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Another momento of U.T.S.Any one recognise themselves,I knew almost everyone on there,even the St.Mary's boy's.

Jean,
Are you kidding me,this was the boxing team,there were no girls boxing them days.And a boy named Joan would not have gone down very well at our school...

Ray,
I see Ken Williams on the fight card just before your bout. That makes 3 sports he was active in namely, Swimming, Football and now Boxing. Do you remember if Ken won his bout or not?

Dave,
It's a different Ken Williams,although they both lived in Victoria Rd.
This Ken was probably the best boxer in the school,he did have a mention in the Boxing year book.
He had a call,to join the England Olympics in Helsinki 1952,at the same time he had his call up papers,and had to do his national service instead.

I was going to get together with Ken Hillier who kindly lent me the photo of Bill Eggison a couple of years ago but due to events beyond my control I never did get to see him again. What with me breaking my arm and the weather turning awful we put it off and put it off. I was informed last week that Ken passed away just before Christmas and had brought several more photo's to the New Inn and was asking after us. Maybe some of you will remember him from Park Lane?. Jean.

I am Maurice Cook's Granddaughter. If anybody has any photos from his school days, he would love to see them. I see there is an athletics team picture above posted by John Houghton, but they cannot be viewed. If anybody can help, please let me know. Thank you

That would be him. :) if you have any photos he would love to see them: there is a link above for the athletics squad that he was in but the link won't work

Hi Sara,
Some lost photos below are in the forum image host. I could try to identify which posts they were in if you want me to.
Upper Thomas St 1947
1_UPPER_THOMAS_ST__F5B15D5B15D_C__1947.JPG

Upper Thomas St 1954
1_UPPER_THOMAS_ST_JUNIOR_SCHOOL_FOOTBALL_TEAM-_1954-55~0.JPG

Upper Thomas Cricket 1954-1955
2_UPPER_THOMAS_ST_JUNIOR_SCHOOL_CRICKET_TEAM-1954-55.JPG

Fancy Dress 1950s
3_UPPER_THOMAS_STREET_JUNIOR_SCHOOL_FANCY_DRESS_1950s.JPG

Hello Sara,
I've had a go but unfortunately can't seem to place the images. As you are probably aware all the forum images were lost in the 2011 'hack attack' but one member had saved over 2000 various images and posted them in the Coppermine Image Host from where I found the 4 images I posted.

Sarah,
I have a boxing bill from 1949,Maurice would know some of those on it,but for some reason I am unable to post it.Also have you looked in the Astonbrook through Astonmanor site there are some photo's of U.T.S.on there,also my boxing bill.

Mohawk,the teachers on your photo's are, from the top left to right Mr.Hill and Mr.Tomlinson,then Mr.Gill,don't know the middle one and "killer" Cooper.then,Reg Milner and Mr.Tomlinson again.

2nd photo my cousin Malcolm Duddell on left next one to teacher and same row next to teacher in middle to his right David Jennings Malcs best friend.3rd pic back row 2nd in from left Malcolm David was on the end blonde hair. They lived in Tower rd. just round the corner my nan had the outdoor Mrs Rudge.The last photo at the top left David's mom she had a small white pill box hat on and Malcs mom my aunt Elsie was just below her 1 down. I was second row from the bottom behind the boy with the balloon and Malcolm was on the top row next to a boy with a looks like black peaked hat of some sort

Back