• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Roundabout House

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This old (draper’s ?) shop with a unique name sounds like the sort of shop I’d have loved to visit, although it’s difficult to work out exactly where it was located in Birmingham. The notice was placed in 1755 but it was printed again for historical interest in the Birmingham Daily Gazette in January 1955. Viv.

E89EBB39-7E41-46DD-A563-BD27249C43DB.jpeg

1755, just five years after Britain caught up with Europe and adopted the Gregorian Calendar. That accounts for the reference to old Christmas Day which would now be eleven days earlier than the new Christmas Day.
Noteable are the former? spellings of Colmer (Colmore?) Row and linnen (linen). I wonder why the time of exactly 12 o'clock was mentioned. Presumably it was one sitting only

thats very interesting viv...i too would like to know where the upper round about house was

In the 1777 directory John Evans is listed as at 3 Colmore row. Assuming that the numbering was the same then as in 1845, this would have been approximately where the arrow point son the c1839 map below

map c1839 showing approximate position of 3 Colmore row in 1835.jpg

Back