• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper, Middle And Lower Witton Reservoirs.

Yes, King’s Vale Pumping Station was just behind the TSB bank on Kingstanding Road. I think its gone now. There was another water works at the Top of Rough Road, I think it was Perry Wells (?).

Hawthotn Brook split in Kingstanding, one branch ended in Finchley Park and the other around Warren Farm Road by the old baths.

Yes Pedro, there's a rivulet which appears to flow into the small Baldmore Lake and then down parallel with Goosemoor Lane before joining the brook at Marsh Lane.

Morturn, the swimming bath belonged to the college and they had lots of sports facilities (to keep their young minds occupied I suppose.....). I was reading a history of the college the other day and apparently they played the very dangerous game of 'bandy' up in the woods in Kingstanding. Like hockey possibly but with trees in the way - hence Bandywoods.

Nice find Pedrocut. The Cornish engine at Plants Brook is most certianly a Jonah and George Davis engine of Tipton.

Here are some images of the Salford Bridge engine house. Again a Cornish engine, it look like its working in one image. I did go in this engine house in the 60's before the motorway was built.

You can see the pipleine across the river

Attachments

• Salford bridge pumping stationv2.jpg
    Salford bridge pumping stationv2.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Salford bridge pumping station.jpg
    Salford bridge pumping station.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Salford Bridge  Water Works.jpg
    Salford Bridge Water Works.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 23
In December 1857 there was concern over a breach in the embankment of the new reservoir Witton pool. Some personal danger and local flooding occurred, but fortunately without loss of life. Fears had been raised by the earlier disaster of 1852 at Holmfirth which caused 81 deaths.

E166F56D-79EF-4A0F-9AE6-B9AE70C67BE2.jpeg

BFDB0EB2-BB82-4A9B-86FD-72C74033AF51.jpeg

Last edited:
If you go to post 10, a map of the proposed formation of the reservoirs dated 1854 (enlarged section below for ease of view), then it can be seen that just at the top of what would be gypsy lane, was to be built an embankment, so this would be the bank referred to which was breached

P1010450. witton upper pool plans 1854A.jpg

So would Witton lakes have been the upper pools, Brookvale Park the middle pool and Salford Park the lower pool? The were all on the Hawthorn brook

Originally, Witton Lakes were the upper pools, what is now Brookvale park was referred to as the lower pool, and Salford Park was called Aston Reservoir

In the Bill seen above there is a good description of the old field names around Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park, for example Bleak Hills, Middle Slade and Lower Slade. Bleak Hill can still be seen, and maybe Slade gave its name to Slade Road. A good picture can be built up of the area around 1854.

Very interesting Pedro - wonder where Mr Dugard lived?

Here is a section of the modern OS Explorer Map. I have highlighted the 100m contour which seems to stretch from the embankment on Witton Lakes and around Brookvale Park. Also highlighted are the 105 and 110 m contours.

The distance from the embankment to Brookvale Park is roughly half a mile, being the distance that the Navvy wagons were swept. The valve was closed in the Lower Witton Pool which was under construction and the greater part of the water escaped into the pool.

Was the house of Mr. Dugard at Faulkner’s Farm on Gipsy Lane? And where were the Aston Schools that were flooded?
B20C578F-5BC0-4238-BDA6-C2AE2CBC297C.jpeg

Back