• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Highgate School for Girls

I

irishbrummie2

My mom went to this school & left in 1961, her name was Dorothy Welch!
She said "that the headmistress was a miss Robertshaw, did anybody else attend this school?

did anyone attend upper highgate school for girls .highgate birmingham .i left in 1961.our headmistress was miss robertshaw VERY strict disciplinarian .then mrs bamfield ...mrs clelford ..mrs d jones and miss c.jones .mrs blythe ..miss lewis ..what a dedicated lot they were ...anyone remember the old gymnasium across the road ..freezing cold showers ...scottish dancing and national dancing ..and god help you if you didnt have your uniform correct .it was out the front in assembly.love to hear from any old school mates ..diane whitehouse ....janet wigley ..leslie hands ...to name a few..linda smith ..where are you all now..most of us in our sixties ..

i attended this school with my sisters wendy lorna and jennifer .wendy left in 1959 ...i left in 1961 and the other two sisters left a few years after us..i remember miss robertshaw well .i was scared stiff of her .she often dragged me into her office .because my skirt was too tight or i had heels on my shoes ..she called you GIRL very strict ....remember the old gymnasium over the road trooping over in all weathers in your navy blue nicks and white blouse .snow or rain ...freezing cold showers ..but fond memories of the scottish and national dancing ...i even made prefect ..lol my maiden name was leake ..my mom used to be a school cleaner .with hilda lock..hard work those days ..i remember all the teachers and actualy wrote to miss robertshaw every xmas until she died aged 98 yrs old ....

did anyone attend mary street infants school in the 50s in balsall heath birmingham the headmaster was mister mundy..teachers included mr purdon...mr smith mrs black miss laycock.the old caretaker was called may..

Hi everyone, I am looking for anyone that used to attend this school and also St Patricks C of E School Highgate Street. My cousins Margaret, Shirley and Graham Preston used to attend them when they lived in Belgrave road.

Upper Highgate School for Girls,
Moseley Road,
Balsall Heath.

11-15 year old girls school. I attended from 1954- 1956 Then moved house, due to the slum clearances of the 50's.

A good school. One of the first to teach French to non Grammer school pupils.

I am looking for a photo of this School for my brother-in-law as his mum left there in 1935. I have searched and searched but had no luck. Can anyone help?
Thanks

My wife went to this school, she left in 1958. Her maiden name was Lilian Gabbett, she lived in Leapold Street.

It's good to know a few of us are still standing.
I went to Upper Highgate Street from 1951 to August 1953 and I loved it. Miss Robertshaw was the head and was the Queen Bee (In the nicest possible way)
My name then was Barbara Kimberley, and I lived in Balsall Heath.
Best wishes, Bea

I went to this school from 1955 to 1958. I remember Miss Gwilt who could be very strict, Miss Robertshaw, who I found to be very cold hearted and strict. Miss Simpson who was easy going but in her own world. My friends were Betty Ishmael, and Winifred Bryant. I remember going on holiday with the school to a 'camp' in Oxford which was actually old army barracks. We went on excursions every day round the colleges, it was really memorable.

I wonder if anyone remembers Highgate Sec Mod? I went there at 11 yrs in 1952. Miss Robertshaw was Headmistress and my form teacher Miss Smith. She was lovely and haf a wonderful sense of humour.
We lived in Darwin Street for a couple of years, where my parents ran the corner shop.

Welcome E AA. Hopefully former girls will see your post. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

A bit of background history is here from British History online

HIGHGATE GIRLS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Moseley Road.(27) Upper Highgate St. Bd. Sch. opened 1888 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 1,116 M, I, (1) with one of first two cookery centres in Birm. bd. schs. (the other was at Summer Lane Bd. Sch.).(23) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) New cookery centre provided 1910. Altered and reorganized 1931 for SG, I. I dept. closed 1933, reopened 1937 and became part of Moseley Road Council Sch. 1938; this accom. given up 1955.(28) Became a secondary modern sch. 1945. Name changed 1954.(28) N.o.b. 1961: 400.(27)

i attended this school with my sisters wendy lorna and jennifer .wendy left in 1959 ...i left in 1961 and the other two sisters left a few years after us..i remember miss robertshaw well .i was scared stiff of her .she often dragged me into her office .because my skirt was too tight or i had heels on my shoes ..she called you GIRL very strict ....remember the old gymnasium over the road trooping over in all weathers in your navy blue nicks and white blouse .snow or rain ...freezing cold showers ..but fond memories of the scottish and national dancing ...i even made prefect ..lol my maiden name was leake ..my mom used to be a school cleaner .with hilda lock..hard work those days ..i remember all the teachers and actualy wrote to miss robertshaw every xmas until she died aged 98 yrs old ....
It's good to know a few of us are still standing.
I went to Upper Highgate Street from 1951 to August 1953 and I loved it. Miss Robertshaw was the head and was the Queen Bee (In the nicest possible way)
My name then was Barbara Kimberley, and I lived in Balsall Heath.
Best wishes, Bea

I went there from 1952-1956 and remember Miss Robertshaw so well...spent several occasions at a desk outside her office !!! She was very strict but fair. Miss Smith was our form tutor and was lovely and had a great sense of humour. Used to love playing Pirates in that old gym across the road at the end of term as a special treat. Also going to play hockey in a playing field at Moseley and being thrown in the swimming pool when I was too scared to jump in !
My best friend was a girl called Lilly Locke...I wonder if she' s related to Hilda?? So good to know that you are still going strong though I don't remember you. My name was Ann Ashbourne.

I went to primary school, Main Street annexe (part of Chandos Road school) with your sisters Lorna and Jennifer. Lorna was a friend if mine, we were in the same class and played together after school. I have a photo of our class taken when we were about seven or eight I think. I was Susan Hutton then. My two older sisters, Diane and Annette went to Upper Highgate Street but probably left before you started. They both came home with a few tales about Miss Robertshaw!

I went to Highgate girls school from 1961 till 1965 I have lots of great memories from there, The Birmingham school choir, Dancing at the Town hall, cookery classes and Oh that freezing cold gym and those wall bars :eek: Lots of friends, Christine satterthwaite, Susan Seager whose family owned the tailor shop at the bottom of leopold street and many more happy days ,

I went to this school from1959 until1963. I remember Miss Jones (I may be cabbage looking, but I’m not green) was her favourite saying. Hymn practice with Miss Robertshaw was painfull! Loved cookery on Friday mornings. I was at school with Barbara Mclaren, Pat Gill, Bera Kaur and Susan Price, can’t remember anymore of my classmates. Some of the girls in my class I am not one of them!

Attachments

• 3236EAA9-C5B2-4F29-9911-C6E6FC96111F.jpeg
    3236EAA9-C5B2-4F29-9911-C6E6FC96111F.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
i left mary street at 11yrs old and went to upperhighgate school for girls and left there at 15 ..
I went to Highgate school 1958 left 1962 miss Robertson's scared me I remember her shouting at me cause I was eating sweet on the hall way stood and wet myself

did anyone attend mary street infants school in the 50s in balsall heath birmingham the headmaster was mister mundy..teachers included mr purdon...mr smith mrs black miss laycock.the old caretaker was called may..
yes I left 1958 went to Highgate girls school

yes I remember miss black had us all lines up to miss us goodnight

Back