• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

upper grove street smethwick

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi mike
Please excuse me but would you have a map of 61 upper grove street. Smethwick in the year of 1891
Or even tell me where about in Smethwick it was as it was my grt grand fathers house and my grand mothers house
My mothers mother house any idea if it may have been close to piddock street Smethwick
And could s body tell me where adelea street Birmingham was in the early years I hope this is not asdking to much
I really would appreciate either one of these streets info if its possible if one cannot be found which is ever found
One again I thank every body for reading this thread best wishes Alan ,, Astonian,''''

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alan
Upper Grove St ran off St Matthews Road, which is still there. as shown on the map no 61 is in pink. The house must have been quite new in 1891, as the OS map published c1889 does not show it, and you will note that it is et back from the road unlike the next house, which is shown on the c1889 map. the map here is c 1904.
Don't know where you got the other name from but could your adelea st be a miss-spelling of Adderley St?

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Good morning mikeje
Many thanks for your reply and for taking the your valuable time inn looking up for me
As it was the house my grand father moved into when he moved from Gloucestershire to Birmingham
On a transfers as he was a police constable in those days and he went to piddock street
On the subject of aderlea street I will recheck the name spelling which I think I have spelt it wrong as you have said
Which you are correct indeed and the reason I am asking you for the where about is one of my relatives was charged for
Making forge half crowns and three penny bits along with the metal which was a fair amount in weight
Which they got from Samuel heath which was brass and copper with chemicals this was 1925
And it was in the Birmingham post and I am curious to read all of the story when I get it from the archives
He was sent to prison for 6 months, after whatching a documentary film not so long ago on the television
About prison life in the dark ages where they was locked in dark dingy cells and having to wear a mask to cover there faces
I can only presume that's how he got the very bad squinted eyes
I hope you do not mind me asking you again when I get the spelling correctly
Thanks again mike best wishes have a nice day , Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi mike
Just come back on and looked at your reply regarding upper grove but also you said I may have spelt Adelaine street Birmingham
And there was appeared tone a large dwelling used for lodging house I have now copied the correct spelling
Holding ypou could track down and tell me what part of brum it is in please mike
I really appreciate your time on this as its part of my family tree and I would like to find the culprit of the family
Once again thank you Alan,,Astonian,,,,

rosie

brummie
Hi Alan, did you mean Piddock Road Smethwick? that's where the Police Station used to be. The building is still there but it's not used a Police station any more. It's not too far from Upper Grove Street.
My Mother was born in Grove Lane just opposite London Road on Mike's map....Thanks Mike!!
rosie.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Rosie
How are you fine I hope , yes I did mean piddock road but as in our younger days we knew it as pidock nick,( meaning the police station,)
I am surprised to hear that its no longer the police station where would the nearest one be now then,it was a fine building
Yes grand father was transferred from the Gloucestershire constabley to Smethwick piddock rd
Then to digbeth and central they bought the house in that rd then I think later he bought one in high park road
I know the area very well ,but I can say now I thought I knew the area but as you say its all changed new houses now as well
I see on mikes map London red was around the corner from your moms then nice to know its really is a small world roseie ain't it
Do you know whether west Bromwich as a new police station then being they closed it down after all it was a huge police station
A. Bit like steel house lane police station or is it the case of keeping thorn hill rd hands worth and using that station
Do you know what they have changed it to roseie,
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi mike
Sorry to be a big pain in the butt , but where is Darwin street what area is it in brum I presume
For the love nor money I cannot place Darwin street into my head I am trying to find out if it really the member of my tree
That carried out such a forgerie please ,please, mike put me out of my misery I really have to find the answer to this one
As I was told there was a death include and two children as well for the crime they committed the children was saved but one person
A lady I will not name did die ,and this nasty bit of crap got six months for the forgery and no think for the loss of life and destruction
Caused by the fire many thanks mikefor responding to my plight of request Alan,, Astonian,,,,,,

perry commoner

master brummie
I was so delighted to see upper grove street mentioned. My great great grandmother, Mrs Theresa Pike (nee Selby) lived there for most of her married life. I well remember being taken to see her by my parents in the late 40s-early 50s. I have several photos of her but sadly not at upper grove street.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi. Perry
Nice to hear that you can remember upper grove street can you recall what the type houses was like and I hope it gave you wonderful memory
Of all those years ago so she was a Selby that's interesting name best wishes Astonian,,,,,

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alan
Adelaide and Darwin Sts are in Highgate. Adelaide st is coloured in on the map

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi mike many thanks for that info and for the map showing of the street you are a genius
Have a nice day Alan,,Astonian,,,

rosie

brummie
Hi Alan, I'm sorry I don't know about the other Police Stations, except Dudley Rd. next to Summerfield Park, I think that one is still empty as they built the big new one.
rosie.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi roseie
Nice to hear from you hope you are having a nice day,yes the summer field station next to the park as been empty for a very long time
And the new so called one around the corner of icknelid port rd ,,
Looks lost and empty as well ( I say that but ( obvisiouly its being used ) I cannot see the purpose of building that building
Emedciatly around the corner still I expect crime is just as bad ASD when I was around the area
I know piddock was always busy they covered some parts of the dudley road boundrey in there time
I think it only came down to the grove picture house and the pub of cape of god hope public house and around soon lane
Summer field was mainly a booking office was not really an holding station just for area hours then they was transported to the Steele house lane
Thorn hill was the power house of the stations that was C Diversion along with Kenyon street and lady wood diversion
Thanks again about the I to of upper grove and piddock red best wishes Rosie , Alan ,,,,Astonian,,,,,

DavidGrain

master brummie
Hi Alan, did you mean Piddock Road Smethwick? that's where the Police Station used to be. The building is still there but it's not used a Police station any more. It's not too far from Upper Grove Street.
My Mother was born in Grove Lane just opposite London Road on Mike's map....Thanks Mike!!
rosie.
Not sure that Piddock Road Police Station is closed. It might be that the front desk is closed as I see police cars driving in and out of the back gate in Crockets Lane.

My mother was also born in Grove Lane. She passed away a year ago at.the age of 92.

Alan, your ggf certainly moved around Gloucestershire Police to Staffordshire Police to Birmingham Police.

rosie

brummie
Yes you are correct David, my apologies, it's only the front desk which is closed.

My Mother and Aunt would have been in their early 90's too!
rosie.