• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Dean Street, Birmingham

I realise that and guessed the reason . It was just that I had previously assumed that the "taken" date in Flickr was the actual taken date and not the loading date. that is a fault which they ought to rectify

Yeah lets go and get them I have got a big stick, I will hold your coat while you do the deed,

I realise that and guessed the reason . It was just that I had previously assumed that the "taken" date in Flickr was the actual taken date and not the loading date. that is a fault which they ought to rectify

It's interesting that these Francis Nicholls buildings are STILL there, even after Jennyann first raised this thread in 2009 !

Wonder why they're still there, even though the area has been totally redeveloped ? (Not saying they shouldn't still be there of course, just amazed that developers haven't brought the bulldozers in).

Are these 1930s buildings ? The patterns on the columns at the side of the two doorways suggests to me 1920s/30s but I'm not 100% sure. Viv.

Here are a couple of photo's, one of a lovely old building on Upper Dean St cnr Jamaica Row and the other a dwelling on Dean St just a few yards (metres?) from Sherlock St. Not the end of the road you're looking at but still a reminder of Council vandalism. J.Upper Dean St Nov 28th 1968.jpg Skinner Lne cnr Dean St 1968.jpg Upper Dean St Nov 28th 1968.jpg

Presumably Jonob's first photo in post #34 is also a Phyllis Nicklin image ? What a great photo it is too. She certainly captured the vibrancy of the market area in that one, as well as the wonderful details of the building.

Looks like some sort of blind/shade between the words "Fruit &" and "Vegetable". Seems to be in an odd place, obstructed by the wall lamp. Viv.

It's interesting that these Francis Nicholls buildings are STILL there, even after Jennyann first raised this thread in 2009 !

Wonder why they're still there, even though the area has been totally redeveloped ? (Not saying they shouldn't still be there of course, just amazed that developers haven't brought the bulldozers in).

Are these 1930s buildings ? The patterns on the columns at the side of the two doorways suggests to me 1920s/30s but I'm not 100% sure. Viv.
Hi Vivienne: As far as I can determine there have been several attempts to put forward a plan to renovate this building. Every time I have a look it still remains untouched. Skyscraper City site has mentioned it a lot of times over the years. It's an old Georgian building as far as I remember. The frontage has gradually changed. Ther were nice pillars over the left hand door at tone time. Being converted to a food distribution warehouse when I worked there didn't do a ting for it. The only thing apart from the back of the building that was quite nice was a staircase going up from the ground floor. That is where my office was.

My grans house upper Dean st with my uncles lorry parked outside #39 with Nichols premises above by the pub, not sure of pub name.

Last edited:
thats a brilliant photo grea..i was going to say does it say nicholls on the white building but i see you have answered that one..extra special to you i bet as your rellies were living there when the photo was taken...i bet someone will know the name of the pub

lyn

Just read an earlier post where the pub was named the Coach and Horses. My gran was a regular there. Opposite the pub I recall a building owned by Ffyfes bananas. In the window was a massive model of one of their ships which I always stopped and admired on my regular visit to my grans

To the right of the handcart the opening, with pillars either side, seems to have a downwards slope. I am curious where that went and for what purpose?
I think it used to be an underground warehouse or storage site of somekind

Noticed that the old Grade II listed building at 42 - 45 Upper Dean Street is fully restored. For some new student accommodation called True Birmingham.

The bricks look red.

When Travelodge was built a decade ago they didn't really finish it off. Maybe waited for a development on the other side.

This is the new building opposite the Bullring Indoor Market from Pershore Street.

That grim cream and white building seems to be the 'bog standard' for overnight/short stay. They threw a similar Premier Inn up on the outskirts of Paignton a few years ago. It reminds me a floating prison.

There is a car park above the Indoor Market built in about 2001 (on the left). Travelodge opened on Upper Dean Street in 2011 (I think). Looks like they are using red brick on the new student accommodation block.

Got this update in the morning of 42-45 Upper Dean Street, while it was raining. Travelodge has been open for almost a decade. But the True Birmingham student accommodation might open in September 2020.

In late July 2020, got this photo down Dudley Street past the Indoor Market.

Back