• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Dean Street, Birmingham

One of my g-great uncles, Albert Hinks, used to run the Coach and Horses pub in Upper Dean Street in 1911. According to the 1911 summary, in addition to the pub there were shops, factories, warehouses and private dwellings along that street.

Albert Hinks is listed in the 1908-1913 editions of Kellys at the Coach & Horses , so he was there for at least 5 years (not there in 1905 or 1915 editions)

Thank you for the additional info, mikegee, it helps to paint a picture in my mind of how the family lived. He had a young family to bring up by himself after his wife, Ellen, died some time between 1901 and 1911 going on census entries where it said he was a widower in the 1911 census. Trying to find out more because I cannot find reliable marriage or death records for either of them! She was from Macclesfield, Lancashire, that's all I know.

I worked at 45 Upper Dean Street for 18 months in 1959 at Francis Nicholls (Wholesale Grocers) Ltd. This building amazingly is a heritage building and is still standing in an awful state.
It shows up in one of your Flickr photos horsencart. It was a great area to be working in back in the day.

Last edited:
October 2010 - when the Travelodge was being built next door

To date behind this building is still a temporary car park on the Pershore Street corner (not sure when it will get built on)

Bus view of St Martin's in the Bullring from Upper Dean Street - November 2014 - on the top deck of the no 35.

There's this mural near Upper Dean Street next to the outdoor markets - as seen in January 2011

HORSENCART
Your dates on flickre seem a bit off. It gives the phot as having been taken in 2013

I should say something about not believing all that you read that was the year (2013) I uploaded the photo I took the shot from the old Bull Ring Shopping Center and if my memory is correct it was a few months before they closed the place (whatever year that was? )

HORSENCART
Your dates on flickre seem a bit off. It gives the phot as having been taken in 2013

Horsencart you do know that you can edit the date of the photo! And if you don't know the exact date set it to something like "Circa 2000" (best done in the Organiser)

I realise that and guessed the reason . It was just that I had previously assumed that the "taken" date in Flickr was the actual taken date and not the loading date. that is a fault which they ought to rectify

Yeah lets go and get them I have got a big stick, I will hold your coat while you do the deed,

I realise that and guessed the reason . It was just that I had previously assumed that the "taken" date in Flickr was the actual taken date and not the loading date. that is a fault which they ought to rectify

It's interesting that these Francis Nicholls buildings are STILL there, even after Jennyann first raised this thread in 2009 !

Wonder why they're still there, even though the area has been totally redeveloped ? (Not saying they shouldn't still be there of course, just amazed that developers haven't brought the bulldozers in).

Are these 1930s buildings ? The patterns on the columns at the side of the two doorways suggests to me 1920s/30s but I'm not 100% sure. Viv.

Here are a couple of photo's, one of a lovely old building on Upper Dean St cnr Jamaica Row and the other a dwelling on Dean St just a few yards (metres?) from Sherlock St. Not the end of the road you're looking at but still a reminder of Council vandalism. J.Upper Dean St Nov 28th 1968.jpg Skinner Lne cnr Dean St 1968.jpg Upper Dean St Nov 28th 1968.jpg

Presumably Jonob's first photo in post #34 is also a Phyllis Nicklin image ? What a great photo it is too. She certainly captured the vibrancy of the market area in that one, as well as the wonderful details of the building.

Looks like some sort of blind/shade between the words "Fruit &" and "Vegetable". Seems to be in an odd place, obstructed by the wall lamp. Viv.

It's interesting that these Francis Nicholls buildings are STILL there, even after Jennyann first raised this thread in 2009 !

Wonder why they're still there, even though the area has been totally redeveloped ? (Not saying they shouldn't still be there of course, just amazed that developers haven't brought the bulldozers in).

Are these 1930s buildings ? The patterns on the columns at the side of the two doorways suggests to me 1920s/30s but I'm not 100% sure. Viv.
Hi Vivienne: As far as I can determine there have been several attempts to put forward a plan to renovate this building. Every time I have a look it still remains untouched. Skyscraper City site has mentioned it a lot of times over the years. It's an old Georgian building as far as I remember. The frontage has gradually changed. Ther were nice pillars over the left hand door at tone time. Being converted to a food distribution warehouse when I worked there didn't do a ting for it. The only thing apart from the back of the building that was quite nice was a staircase going up from the ground floor. That is where my office was.

My grans house upper Dean st with my uncles lorry parked outside #39 with Nichols premises above by the pub, not sure of pub name.

Last edited:
Back