• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uploading Pictures

rowan

Born a Brummie
I want to and have tried to upload a few newspaper cutting from 1968 & 1992 that will be of interest to you all but it just keeps telling me that they are too big and I don't know how to make them smaller, any help would be appreciated :))

I want to and have tried to upload a few newspaper cutting from 1968 & 1992 that will be of interest to you all but it just keeps telling me that they are too big and I don't know how to make them smaller, any help would be appreciated :))

What program do you have for viewing photos? Have you Microsoft Office?

Hi Rowan,
I am assuming your images are either jpg or png files.
The forum works best with jpg files.

I have just tried Eric's 'step by step' instructions in his post#551 and they work for me.
I am using Windows 10 but they should work in Win 7 or Win 8.

You could however try the actual method I use. It works well after it is installed.
See post#552 in the Windows 10 thread.
The website I got it from is https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
Follow instructions to download and install it.
Some picture instructions on how to use it are in post#555

oldmohawk

I am tagging on the end of this thread rather than starting a new one as it concerns uploading pics. I take most of my photos on my phone as I always have it with me. Sometimes they're fine and at other times they come out on the forum sideways or upside down. I have just posted a few in the hope that someone will rectify them for me but it would make sense for me to be able to do them myself - and much less frustrating. I've tried changing them in the file and saving and they just flip back again when I upload them. Thank you.

Thought I'd better upload a couple so you can see what I'm facing. Interestingly the portrait pics only go a quarter turn whilst the landscape go half. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WP_20171126_13_03_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171126_13_03_54_Pro.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 18
  • WP_20171124_11_05_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171124_11_05_46_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
No knowledge of iphones I'm afraid Penny. Even if I take photos on my phone (not oftem(, I always download to computer before doing anything

I use an iPhone and have had the problem. With iPhones it is a problem with the 'exif' data stored with the pic. I usually find if I do a small edit of the pic in the phone such as slight brightening of the pic etc and then save it, the problem is solved. I notice the file size of the second pic uploaded in post#7 is 1.1Mb which is very large, and the first pic is 0.9Mb. You would find that an edit to reduce this would probably help.
If you have Windows 10 you can use a Microsoft app in your phone which automatically transfers the pics via the internet into the Microsoft OneDrive Camera Roll. They can then be posted from Windows after editing and file size reduction. With iPhones you may have noticed if you have 'location services' switched on the exact location of where you took the pic is recorded with the file.
Some scattered comments in 2014 about the problem can be found here.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/sunset.43809/

same as me mike...i know phones can be very handy for taking photos as most people always carry them but i think its a lot easier uploading and putting them on the forum via my little pocket camera and they dont upload upside down either.. 9 times out of ten my camera goes with me...never bothers me if i leave my phone at home for short trips out

Thank you all for the help. I'll get my technical adviser to have a look with me. It's frustrating as my phone invariably takes better pictures than my camera. Will keep trying

If the forum won't accept a photo because it is too large the 'built-in' Microsoft Windows 10 'Paint' program easily reduces it.

1) Click Windows search ... bottom left on task bar.
2) Type paint ... it will find Paint app
3) Then click on the Paint app ... the Paint app will appear.
4) Drag the image file into the Paint work area
5) Save the reduced file.
See below

Image1.jpg
To have 'Paint' immediately available when needed ...
Make a shortcut on the 'Desktop' screen
Or put it on the 'Task Bar'
Or on the Win 10 'Start' screen

Last edited:
some one will tell you on here they are very good at uploading from phones

Last edited:
On my phone I can open the picture from gallery. Then tap it and select the pencil (edit). The picure then has a grid on it. If I select the 3 dots (top right) I get the option to resize.
Never used it as I just link phone to laptop via charging cable and copy the images onto my external hard drive.

Use the same method as from an iphone
Beeches Rd  1941.jpg
the above pic was uploaded direct from my iphone
1) Type your message
2) Tap ‘Attach files’
3) Select the pic from where it is stored in your device
4) It will appear as an image file at the bottom of your post
5) You can post it in this form or
6) insert it either as a thumbnail or full size
7) Touch ‘Post reply’ button
Have a go and practice in this thread

Last edited: