• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unusual Name on Marriage Certificate

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I wonder if anyone can help me with the groom's father's forename please? It looks like Cowdell/Cordell but I haven't been able to find anyone with this name. Thanks.Mary Ann Blount 2nd copy marriage.png

Sorry, I thought I'd uploaded the whole of the marriage certificate. It's the marriage of John Jones and Mary Ann Blount at St George's Church, Shrewsbury and it took place in 1878.

I thought at first it was Cowdell, then Cordell then even Courdell. I hadn't heard of any of them for first names before. Looking for John Jones has proved a challenge especially this close to Wales.

This is in connection with Rose Vernon who you all helped me with on another thread and I believe they are the family of James Charles Jones her husband.

Thank you all for your input - I'll have a look at the 1911 census Mike and see if any of the Cowdell's fit.

I think that John Jones is on the 1861 and 1871 census living with his Grandparents (David and Mary in 1861) and Mary in 1871 - address in 1871 is Water Lane. Road looks like Frankwell in 1851 which is his address with Mary Ann in 1881.
Frankwell seems to be an area of Shrewsbury where Water Lane is. So they could all refer to the same address.

Last edited:
Thank you Janice & Ken. I'd found John with his grandfather but had spent time looking for his father. I don't think I would have found this so I'm really grateful. So Cowdrell may have been the errant father's surname as Eliza is a Jones? Mind you, there's a lot of them about in Shrewsbury. This is the last piece of the family history jigsaw I was trying to put together for Rose Vernon's side of the family. Nothing was known about the Joneses as Rose and James Charles were only married for 3 years before he died.

Frankwell is over the Welsh Bridge and is in the Welsh ward. I always lose my sense of direction in Shrewsbury as the river goes round in a big loop. Now that you've found this information for me I can concentrate on addresses, locations, etc. Again, thanks.

On the marriage certificate it says fathers occupation Printer, whilst there don't appear to be any Cowdell printers there is a John Francis Cowdell b 1835 , living 1861 in New street , Frankwell occupation Compositor.

Back