• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

Perhaps this diagram dated 1915 will help

View attachment 130441

To get from Duddeston top centre on the red (LNWR) line you would have to reverse somewhere between Proof House Junction and New Street Station then take the green (Midland) line at Grand Junction through St Andrews Junction and Bordesley Junction to get to bottom left at Small Heath on the yellow (GWR) line. Note this is a diagram not geographically accurate.
sorted now thanks for diagram.

pete

Last edited:
Bordesley station has one train per week on Saturdays to Malvern departing 13.36. This is known as the Parliamentary train although some people would say that it is not the correct description. This train is a legal requirement to prove that service is still running as there is a lengthy procedure to close a service.

Then when there is a home match at St Andrews the station does get busy with people going to the match. One evening last year I happened to be on Kidderminster station waiting for a train home and it was a surprise to hear Bordesley listed as one of the stops so I realised there was an evening match on that day.

The GWR line used to be four track and Small Heath and Tyseley still have four platforms even if they are not all used. Solihull still has signs of the disused platforms if you look carefully. Dorridge still has three platforms in use. I have not studied the other stations on the line.

The trains from the Black Country were full of Blues fans. One Dorridge train I didn't get from Rowley Regis looked full (only two carriages instead of three).

The GWR widened the railway through Acocks Green to Olton first and then onto Lapworth adding an additional set of tracks. The contractor for the second section was Cleveland Bridge & Engineering, which is still in business.

I am researching the Duddeston Viaduct. I cannot establish whether it was the intention of the Birmingham & Oxford Junction line to cross over the existing L&BR lines from London, assuming they were at a lower level than there are now, to connect with the GJR towards Vauxhall, or whether some form of junction was to be created (the levels make this look difficult) linking directly into Curzon station. The extension to the proposed New Street had not yet commenced c 1846. so no suggestion of joining the L&BR main line. Anybody have any info on this? Thanks.

Hi Mike, on this map I can see court 8 Adderley Street I think, I wonder if you happen to know where number 158 Adderley Street was located? My ancestors lived there and I have previously been led to believe it was in front of court 8. Any ideas?

Debbie
I cannot be absolutely certain which house is no 158, but, from the directories, it certainly seems to be one of the row of houses in front of Court 8

Was walking up Upper Trinity Street and got these views of the Duddeston Viaduct joining onto the Bordesley Viaduct in Digbeth.

So many cars parked around the streets of Digbeth, including partly on pavements.

I've edited these March 2013 photos to fix the lighting.

Those viaducts may become useful if we ever get HS2 as a link to Proof House Junction. Hope so.

I don't think that will happen. There is already a link, because in spite of Andrew Adonis, Transport Secretary in the Gordon Brown government, naming the station Curzon Street, the front entrance to the HS2 station will be next to Moor Street station and the two concourses will be connected by a foot bridge. Also the West Midlands Metro is being built from Curzon Street, the back entrance to the station, to Digbeth. The rail link, if we ever get it, will be from the Camp Hill Line into Moor Street, giving rail access to the south west from Birmingham and to the East Midlands via St Andrew's Junction

Back