• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

Looking at the c1889 map, what interests me are the train tracks marked, especially a small length right at the far end where there are a twin set of tracks marked for a short distance, isolated from the rest
map c1889 unused digbeth viaduct.jpg

I am attaching the official Network Rail track diagrams of the sidings that are now being advertised as mentioned in the posting by Alan (RadioRails). I have turned the copy upside down to bring the north round to the top of the page. The sidngs mentioned are the dotted lines to the left of the diagram.

EDIT sorry that does not appear to show. I attempted to upload it as a .docx file but that was refused so I have tried to upload it as a .pdf file but that does not seem to work

CORRECTION It has appeared as a download

Attachments

• Bordesley sidings.pdf
    255.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
With regards to the 1889 map, yes, this and earlier maps indicate there were various lengths of track, that may or may not have been associated with the GWR construction period.

It is a useful map as it shows the viaduct complete.

The Bordesley sidings refer to the extensive group of sidings and land that extends to Small Heath station. The GWR had a locomotive shed there before Tyseley was constructed.

A few photos taken around the 'arm' on Sunday. Some repairs to the brickwork have taken place on one of the arches. The original columns are still in place but the tie beams are showing signs of wear. When we were there a pigeon flew out of the hole.
Gentleman's facilities on the corner of Gt Barr St & Liverpool Street showing signs of wear. Can anyone tell me what the adjoining building was originally please?
These lights are outside Digbeth Dining Club - I haven't eaten there yet but my friends have. It was closed when we went past or we might have been tempted.

Attachments

• Cerros Yard.JPG
    Cerros Yard.JPG
    815.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Gt Barr St & Liverpool St.JPG
    Gt Barr St & Liverpool St.JPG
    725.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Lights.JPG
    Lights.JPG
    952.1 KB · Views: 32
Padstones on the viaduct. They look like window boxes don't they with the plants growing out of them!

Sorry, I meant to post this on the viaduct 'arm' thread. Could someone move it for me please?

Attachments

• Pad Stones.JPG
    Pad Stones.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Lady P
The whole building is 54-61Liverpool St. It is marked on maps as warehouse, and Kellys gives multiple occupants at the same time, none of which are accorded numbers, but if the order of the occupants listed is as position, then th enearest to the viaduct was lyons tea merchants in 1973

This is taken from RailMapOnline. It shows the viaduct as being completed only as far as Liverpool Street. If this is not correct I do not know the source of the website owners information but he has corrected errors in the past which I have pointed out to him.
Bordesley old rail mao.png

Interested to see that ASDA Smal Heat could have been railway connected.

A few photos taken around the 'arm' on Sunday. Some repairs to the brickwork have taken place on one of the arches. The original columns are still in place but the tie beams are showing signs of wear. When we were there a pigeon flew out of the hole.
Gentleman's facilities on the corner of Gt Barr St & Liverpool Street showing signs of wear. Can anyone tell me what the adjoining building was originally please?
These lights are outside Digbeth Dining Club - I haven't eaten there yet but my friends have. It was closed when we went past or we might have been tempted.
wonder if nationwide was told to remove billboard?

been following tracks on google the duddeston line went underground under moor st. and did connect to small heath line
at the freightliner depot landor st

Does anyone remember NEW ENGLAND which was just past Adderley Street coming from town.

Funnily enough I do remember the phrase New England and what comes to mind is a pub on a corner. I expect it was on the forum somewhere as I can't think where else it could be. I'm sure it was taken in Digbeth.

It was a small cul-de-sac just past Adderley street coming from town, had a few houses, it was where TESLA is now.

Last edited:
been following tracks on google the duddeston line went underground under moor st. and did connect to small heath line
at the freightliner depot landor st

Perhaps this diagram dated 1915 will help

Birmingham 1915 Railway diagram.jpg

To get from Duddeston top centre on the red (LNWR) line you would have to reverse somewhere between Proof House Junction and New Street Station then take the green (Midland) line at Grand Junction through St Andrews Junction and Bordesley Junction to get to bottom left at Small Heath on the yellow (GWR) line. Note this is a diagram not geographically accurate.

Noticed an abandoned overgrown platform near Bordesley Station. Trains stopping on a Saturday afternoon to let Birmingham City FC fans off for the walk to St Andrew's.

Back