• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unknown soldier.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
We found this photo years ago when my uncle Harry died and wondered who he was. We will never know that now but can anyone throw any light on his uniform etc?. Jean. Sorry can someone turn him the correct way up please.

A guess...no medals on show,so it would probably be 1914,a sad going away photo of a man on embarcation leave,with his wife.
The stripes on his lower left arm would be at least 9 years service.

Thanks for that Ray. The badge is not very clear is it. I have another one with just a soldier on [not this one] found in the same place. Jean.

Jayne I often look at this photo and look at the love there must have been between this couple. I would so much love to know if they were related to our family in any way. I have two more that I will take photo's off and put them on the forum. Bye. Jean.

hi all
from what I can make out of the cap badge, it looks very much like the devonshire regt, it could be suffolks, but no flashes, or collar ensignia its hard to tell, may be a regular but even milita had long service chevrons, first 3yrs ignored so maybe a 12yr man, lanyard on left shoulder, he's no spring chicken, so if it is 1914 as we suspect I am suprised he has no boer war medal ribbons, sorry can't be of more help.
regards
paul stacey

Thanks it was you who helped before Paul. I have another photo and will put it on sometime as that badge is very clear. Jean.

Hi Jean, glad I am not the only one who posts pics upside down, as me Dad used to say a e about face, even the regulars do it! They are lovely
photos, you can almost feel the love between them. I found an old pic of
Enid and I just before we were married at a dance, and the way we looked at each other, even on the photo was there for all to see, bye Bernard

Morning Bernard you will have to share the photo with us would love to see it. That is you would like to. Take care. Jean.

Jean, I am surprised that his boots are not polished and he is wearing puttees, servicemen in the photos i have seen always wore their best uniform looking as smart as they could, he looks as if he has been in the trench`s and come to the studio to have this photo with his Wife taken at short notice, maybe she went across to France? or did he come over to England?. Len.

Hi.

thought i would post this image of my mothers Cruxton family.

I know the service history of the gentleman sitting down, but it is the man standing (Thomas Smith born Walsall 1870?) I am interested in.

I did not know about the long service chevrons on the sleeve, so am I correct in thinking the man would be a private but with at least 15 years service behind him?

I have no idea as to his regiment but he was based in Wrexham on the 1911 census so would that be the Royal Welsh Fusiliers?

Kind regards

Dibs

Dibs what a lovely photo and Len I would love to know the names of the couple in my photo?. I must take a photo of the other guess I am getting lazy. Jean.

Thank you, and yes it is a wonderful image and it has only just been unearthed by my newly found 2nd cousin(thanks to GR) the gentleman sitting was killed in action just after this photograph was taken, the lady standing is his mother, the lady seated his sister and the man standing far left is Thomas James Smith born Walsall, Staffs circa 1869 (according to the 1911 census)

Back