• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unknown pub ????

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
looks like this cafe used to be a pub..if someone could look in the kellys please to find out...

corner of rea st/moseley st

lyn

Attachments

• 232 moseley st.jpg
    232 moseley st.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 5
It does look very pub like Lyn, asked Dad but he doesn't remember a pub being there, hope someone can help.
Sue

I wasn't old enough to go in pubs but I think there may have been, there was another one at the other end of Rea ST, well, it would have been Macdonald St corner, The Towns Arms, now I think The Town Crier

https://www.anchorinndigbeth.co.uk/history.htm

Pubs of Bradford Street in Digbeth and Deritend Birmingham ...

- 13:56There were now many more public houses in Bradford Street and there were .... on the corner of Moseley Street and Rea Street at the end of the 19th century. ...
www.midlandspubs.co.ukWarwickshireBirmingham - Cached - Similar

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks sue and liz...im too tired now but if its not solved by someone else i will sort of my kellys tomorrow and have look....

lyn

Remember some years ago getting a book out the library, it was one of those ones that look like they were home made, old style type font, yellow paperback covered in sticky back plastic, sure most Birmingham libraries have them in the local history section, well it was called old pubs of Digbeth, or something like that, it may well feature in there if you have no joy try asking someone to have a look for you

Hi Lyn

The pub in question was the Plough & Harrow a long time ago. At the time of that photo it was my Aunts Café, but she died last year and my niece who worked with her closed it down.

Phil

DigbethMoseleyStCafe.jpg

Hi Lyn

The pub in question was the Plough & Harrow a long time ago. At the time if that photo it was my Aunts Café, but she died last year and my niece who worked with her closed it down.

Phil

thanks phil...thought it look pub like....

cheers...

lyn

I'm surprised that Frothy didn't recognise it as being pub like ( mind you the photo was from the outside ).:D .

Yes just of bobs cafe he had quite afew aroundin thous days in the seventys
one around camden st and albion st and on pershore rd selly park and another one some where else

Phil and jean
may i just add that this bob whom owned the coffee shops eventualy started to rent them out and after a couple of years he decided to sell them off to the people whom rented them he had them al over the place that one of phls aunt we used to go in there and it was is auntie whom did tell us about bob
another one of bobs shops was on the peshore rd selly park which was run by olive and may and there husband john whom lived in selly park
also told us the story about this bob whom owned them they done a roaring trade until the yellow lines was put down the pershore rd
and like all other shop keepers down there they killed the bussiness so they retired may and olive was a good team they openend 6 days aweek and you had to fight your way in because the food was ace no 1 alan astonian

Back