• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

unknown places

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. i came across these photos a few days ago and cant stop looking at them. they seem to say such a lot but i have not the faintest idea where the first four are. maybe some of you have heard of these places. all i know is that they are somewhere in birmingham. i just find them fascinating.

wales. pic 1 baxters yard

back to backs nelson street. hope you find them as interesting as i do
wales.

Thanks for these magical pictures, the best "courtyard" pics I've seen to date. I've downloaded them and, like you, I'll enjoy looking at them even if i don't know the locations

Cheers
jerry

Hi Wales , Wonderful picture's , who called it the good old days ? looks like the poor old day's to me. Thanks for showing them to us. Mike

thanks jerrry. i have many photos in my collection but i must admit there is something about these and i cant put me finger on it. i think i may have them copied and framed.
wales.

Hi Wales, I am sure with the names of the street; and yards some one will come up with the location of the area . The poster on the street scene reads HULL. I have tried to zoom into them but the picture breaks up. Mike

mike. i think there was a nelson st in brum. to be honest i have not looked. as far as i know they are brum pics but will try to remember where i found them and have another look.

wales.

thanks dibb i should have remembered that. was researching ladywood ages ago.

wales.

Lynn
I can definitely state that the nelson st one is leeds. The same picture is on leodis at https://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=20021217_28281802&DISPLAY=FULL The Leylands were a well known jewish area (or ghetto as it has been described ) near the centre of leeds at the end of the 19th century. The Bell st one is also on there at https://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002109_25552004. I expect the others are as well. That doesn't alter the fact that they are very good pictures, and if you want pictures of general 19th century life in the back streets, Leodis is a good place to look
Mike

hi mike. thanks very much for sorting that one out. yes i agree it dosnt matter where they were taken really as to me a yard...court or back to back pic gives us the same feeling of days gone by. i just love them. cheers

lyn

Hi,

There was, probably still is a Nelson Street near The Sandpits. Used to go for 5th year Physics and Chemistry there.

Hello Wales, in 1952 there was a Bell St In West Bromwich in the Spon Lane Hight St area. Another Bell St. existed near Edgbaston St in The City. I have no idea if these two are still there.
Trevor.

hi all. thanks for the info but post 19 confirms that they all the pics were taken in leeds. mikejee has been doing some digging for us. i still think they are brillient pictures even if they are not of brum.

lyn

GER22VAN, You bet me to it.
THIS IS BELL ST (just off the Bull Ring & Worcester St)
NELSON ST(just off King Edwards Rd & Baker St)
THE BARON(ASTON)

Hi I lived at the top of irving street just off the queens way (before the qeeunsway was built) it was a back st house with 1 bedroom but i cant remember what the yard was called . irving st was the road that runs up by the dome night club has any one got any old photos of this steet.

Hi Colin

These are the only two I can put my hands on.

Phil

LeeBankIrvingSt1961.jpg

LeeBankIrvingStDolphin.jpg

Back