• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown locations

Phil

I have to say that the image is very reminiscent of the type we have seen so many of on this forum, being the type issued by Birmingham Planning Office to demonstrate the location of newly applied for signage.
You could be spot on - 1953 Mackie's had a planning application for 2 neon signs approved for 3 years, this came 3 years after a sign was also approved for 3 years only!

Attachments

• Mackies sign.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Mackies sign 1950.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 3
I thought it did but hadn't walked down there. Now I don't need to !! Thanks -although I probably could do with the exercise:)
Janice

Trouble is Janice, no 127, with Benyon & Ireland , is, according to Kellys, between James Watt St & Silver St.the other side of Newton St. I suspect, because of the position, that it was where the presses of the Birmingham News were, and was not listed as they did not want people going there, rather than to their offices. Have come across large works which are not listed in Kellys before for the same reason

Thanks Mike
OK- just thought it worth a try. Did wonder if the newspaper would be listed. Birmingham News and Printing Co Ltd listed at 22 Newton Street in phone book of 1952 - would that be it?

Definately Dalton Street and i belive it was at a slightly different date later than 52
Because they used to bring the paper to brum by train at 12 Oclock midnight
It was never late Arriving and you could see the train workers unloading the bundles and stacking them high
And at the other end of the train they would be loading mail bags on the post office trainas they was unloading
The news paper there would be a news paper seller clutching the issues and shouting
The mail and there would be one charging around to colmore row out side there offices
And i can tell you there was a news paper seller whom sold them was there from the arch way
Of the siding and he also sold them at the top of hill street facing the town hall
And eventualy ended up out side the odean
And he lived up a terrace on long acre next to the old church on old long acre
Best wishes Astonian,,,

Following on from my photos in #54 someone gave me a photo pf the corner shop opposite the Oil Roller Depot. The first photo was dated 1967/8 (apologies for quality but photo was covered in sticky backed plastic and the scanner light reflected). The second is the same shop today. I was standing next to the pillar box to take the photos in #54.

Attachments

• Scan_20160922.jpg
    Scan_20160922.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P1000325.jpg
    P1000325.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Mike - much better. I must learn how to do that - with my old scanner and PC I had a programme I could use but it isn't on my new laptop.

I thought it did but hadn't walked down there. Now I don't need to !! Thanks -although I probably could do with the exercise:)
Janice
I remember there was a layby(where the new buildings now are ie. to the right of Phil's picture /on the corner of Hayfield Rd.) where the candidates awaited their fates.

If we are looking at windmere road and the shop it must be the one next to the old Altlas picture house
And later became the Atlas Bingo hall stechford flaxley road changes into windmere road
And the other one she shows is a little further up on the next corner on the right hand on the oppersite
Side of the road

I remember there was a layby(where the new buildings now are ie. to the right of Phil's picture /on the corner of Hayfield Rd.) where the candidates awaited their fates.
I assume that is why those houses actually lie back in what I always call a "service road". Trees separate them from the main Yardley Wood Road. My husband spoke to someone yesterday about the test centre and he told him exactly where it was situated and we were bang on.

Wasn't there a pub near there, could have been "The Pen and Wig" or maybe the other way around. Acknowledging the lawyers and journalists.

I don't think the Pen & Wig appeared until they built the new Law Courts in the 70's or 80's and I think it's now called scruffy Murphy's.

Attachments

• City Dale End - Newton St Pen & Wig.jpg
    City Dale End - Newton St Pen & Wig.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
I visit the scout shop a few times in the 50's when I spent about 6 months in the scouts. The scout shop was in Dale End and it was as near as I can make out the shop on the left hand side of this photo with the window shade open.
I was looking at a forum photo and noticed that Lyn's unknown building in the first pic post#36 can just be seen in this view of Dale End in 1958 and also the high Print Works building behind. I had a look on 'streetview' at today's Dale End and I suppose it had to change, but I like this 1958 view better even though it is a bit dark and misty.
index.php

Back