• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unknown locations

Lyn

Looking at this photo of the Roller Depot that looks to have been taken around the same time as yours, I was wondering if the land behind the depot was still Colbath Farm which at that time had been greatly reduced in size by the sale of most of the farm for a golf course that opened in 1908. By the time of these photos the farm I believe was owned by Jack Morris who was a butcher who owned a shop on Ladypool Rd a mile or two away from the farm.

Attachments

• Billesley Yardley Wood Rd Roller Depot.jpg
    Billesley Yardley Wood Rd Roller Depot.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 25
It could have been - I am not sure of any dates except that gates to Moseley club say it was founded in 1892. What date did you put on the photo Phil? A quick search tells me the cricket club was founded in 1900. It is hard to see how far the golf course extends. Wonder what the building is behind the trees to the left? 1940 Kelly's lists Roller Depot and then Coldbath Farm.
Janice

Last edited:
Janice

I think the photo must have been taken in the late 50's or possibly the early 60's the depot was there until at least 1962 it has to have been because I can remember it, I remember passing by each week on the bus to my schools playing fields in Yardley Wood. I think that the roller depot was possibly in fact the garage that is shown on you map before the circle that you made.

Right - I ignored the garage as it is listed separately in the 1940 Kelly's - last one I can look at online. Oil Road Rollers are in the 1959 and 1960 phone book - SOUth 3811. Gone by 1962.

Janice

Attachments

• Kelly's 1940.JPG
    Kelly's 1940.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 7
Out of interest, as you seem to know the area, where was the driving test centre? As for coloured squiggles I use a programme called "paint" which is a microsoft programme - a bit of practice lets you add things to jpeg files - it also lets you crop bits out of large images and save them which is what I did to get the small section of map I included.
Janice
Screenshot (106).png
Red dot marks where I think driving test centre was. Took my test from there July 1960.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - I wonder when it went? There are modernish houses along that stretch of Yardley Wood Road now.
Janice

Your mention of Kingstanding Depot on one of the cards reminds me that there used to be such a depot in Sidcup Road Kingstanding during the war and post war period. In the war it was the base for the local Civil Defence group, my father used to attend there.

I just took a look on Google Earth, this depot is still there, at the end of Ealing Grove off Sidcup Road.

That first image in post#36 is certainly a puzzle ... the 'This is Mackies' sign is obviously pointing at the premises but searching the name 'Mackies' led me to an ice cream factory in Scotland and I was tempted to have a quick streetview round Aberdeen ...
That large high building which appears in the background (with photo editing) is intriguing. I suppose it has got to be a Birmingham scene because it was in a group of photos showing Birmingham.

Phil

I have to say that the image is very reminiscent of the type we have seen so many of on this forum, being the type issued by Birmingham Planning Office to demonstrate the location of newly applied for signage.

1952 Phone book lists Alexander Bros at 87 Dale End (textile manufacturers). Same directory lists Mackie and Gladstone also in Dale End - they were wine merchants.
Janice

Map shows 87 Dale End . Ackies must be the bottling factory

Attachments

• map c 1950  showing 87 Dale End.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 87 Dale End.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 15
Yes - it did say "bottlers" in brackets next to the entry. No idea how long they were there and it was definitely Mackies! So 87 was next door which fits as well for Alexander Bros.
Janice

1952 Phone book lists Alexander Bros at 87 Dale End (textile manufacturers). Same directory lists Mackie and Gladstone also in Dale End - they were wine merchants.
Janice
I think you have found it Janice. Looking at this 1948 pic of Dale End, the 'Mackies' building in the lower centre and the high building I can see in in the background of Lyn's pic is top right.
DaleEnd1948.JPG
Image is from 'britainfromabove' website.

Last edited:
great work folks...so the mackies photo is taken in dale end...great...just the 3rd pic to go now

lyn

Looking at the high building in the background of the image in post#36 and seeing it in the image in post#73 and it is marked as a printing works on the map in post#71 , I'm just wondering what it actually was but have not yet been successful in finding out. It shows well from another direction in the aerial view of Newton St below ...
NewtonStBuilding.JPG
Image is from 'britainfromabove' website.

Looking at a map of the time I wonder if it is the printing works? what do you think?

Attachments

• Dale End.JPG
    Dale End.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 10
Have looked in Kellys. On the opposite side of the street are the Birmingham News offices, but cannot find that building listed either in Newton St or Dalton St

Mike - if it helps the map was 1952 but the printing works are on the 1937 map as well. 1940 Kelly's lists Benyon and Ireland Ltd at 127 Dalton street under printers. Any use? I can't look later online.
Janice

Phil

I have to say that the image is very reminiscent of the type we have seen so many of on this forum, being the type issued by Birmingham Planning Office to demonstrate the location of newly applied for signage.
You could be spot on - 1953 Mackie's had a planning application for 2 neon signs approved for 3 years, this came 3 years after a sign was also approved for 3 years only!

Attachments

• Mackies sign.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Mackies sign 1950.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 3
I thought it did but hadn't walked down there. Now I don't need to !! Thanks -although I probably could do with the exercise:)
Janice

Trouble is Janice, no 127, with Benyon & Ireland , is, according to Kellys, between James Watt St & Silver St.the other side of Newton St. I suspect, because of the position, that it was where the presses of the Birmingham News were, and was not listed as they did not want people going there, rather than to their offices. Have come across large works which are not listed in Kellys before for the same reason

Thanks Mike
OK- just thought it worth a try. Did wonder if the newspaper would be listed. Birmingham News and Printing Co Ltd listed at 22 Newton Street in phone book of 1952 - would that be it?

Definately Dalton Street and i belive it was at a slightly different date later than 52
Because they used to bring the paper to brum by train at 12 Oclock midnight
It was never late Arriving and you could see the train workers unloading the bundles and stacking them high
And at the other end of the train they would be loading mail bags on the post office trainas they was unloading
The news paper there would be a news paper seller clutching the issues and shouting
The mail and there would be one charging around to colmore row out side there offices
And i can tell you there was a news paper seller whom sold them was there from the arch way
Of the siding and he also sold them at the top of hill street facing the town hall
And eventualy ended up out side the odean
And he lived up a terrace on long acre next to the old church on old long acre
Best wishes Astonian,,,

Following on from my photos in #54 someone gave me a photo pf the corner shop opposite the Oil Roller Depot. The first photo was dated 1967/8 (apologies for quality but photo was covered in sticky backed plastic and the scanner light reflected). The second is the same shop today. I was standing next to the pillar box to take the photos in #54.

Attachments

• Scan_20160922.jpg
    Scan_20160922.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P1000325.jpg
    P1000325.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Mike - much better. I must learn how to do that - with my old scanner and PC I had a programme I could use but it isn't on my new laptop.

Back