• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown locations

just to add to my post above post I have enlarged the picture just to the left of the high rise flats look at the top of the roofs of the houses it looks like the high rise block of flats on new town row so this would put the postion of the photo at unettet street eww town kind reguards sidwho

Post 1. Picture 2 10.jp looks like Newtown, Westhorpe Grove off Mossborough Crescent.
Picture 1 9.jpg and picture 3 10.jpg may be reversed if Newtown as the stair wells are towards the wrong end of the blocks. Were the photos off slides?
If reversed picture 3 looks like Newtown, Hadfield Croft off Unett Street. Rob

yes rob they were off slides and i also think that that photo could well be reversed which can confuse...i lived in mosborough crescent and i dont think you are far off...i will have to do a street view walk to try and confirm

thanks rob

lyn

11.jpg11a.jpg
Lyn. post 1 image 3 reversed and street view of Hadfield Croft. Not quite the same angle. Interesting to see all the changes to the maisonettes and flats.

rob i am just doing a bit more research as i am getting confused lol

lyn

Last edited:
hi rob pic 1 post 24 is showing the back of the maisonettes in mosborough crescent...count the french windows from the left i lived in the third one along although at good 35 years after the photo was taken and my maisonette is behind the maisonette you see in pic 2 which as you say is hadfield croft...the 2 tower blocks we see in pic 1 are from the left geach and scofield towers...thanks for your help rob as i also agree that post 1 pic 2 is of westhorpe grove..

lyn

Last edited:
hi rob pic 1 post 24 is showing the back of the maisonettes in mosborough crescent...count the french windows from the left i lived in the third one along although at good 35 years after the photo was taken and my maisonette is behind the maisonette you see in pic 2...the 2 tower blocks we see in pic 1 are from the left geach and scofield towers...

lyn
Yes, that makes sense. All the blocks are similar. Now for another puzzle.
Looking at the reversed version of post 1 picture 1, (09.jpg) 09.jpg
Assuming taken at the same time with the scaffolding on the same tower as 11.jpg , it would be looking west (to the left) somewhere on the right of this old map, but it is difficult to find the large buildings (factories or shops?) about to be demolished. One for Mike and our other experts, I think.
09a.jpg

rob i am going to take a stab at this one and say its possibly new john st west

lyn

Great photo's as usual Lyn, #4, photo 2, shows I believe a WW1 message (by the letter style), still on the house wall surviving all those years till the 60's, the photos remind me of a certain part of Brum at this time, namely "Balsall Heath", it is just as I remember the old city before the great change. Paul

astoness podt 28 you would be wright in saying new john street west, but need a more upto date map to pinpoint the postion of the picture. the map dose not show any factories as there are as you know lucas gks and others in the area . kind reguards sidwho

Great photo's as usual Lyn, #4, photo 2, shows I believe a WW1 message (by the letter style), still on the house wall surviving all those years till the 60's, the photos remind me of a certain part of Brum at this time, namely "Balsall Heath", it is just as I remember the old city before the great change. Paul

hi paul...the only reason that i knew the location of that photo was guildford st is because i have a similar shot in black and white taken a few years before the colour photo...here they are side by side and lets face it we cant forget a message like that on the wall of a house...i would agree it comes from ww1

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
  • guildford st 6.jpg
    guildford st 6.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55
paul i am hoping to get some more unknown locations sent to me...cant say when but as soon as i have them i will post them

lyn

Going back a few weeks now, it would be wonderful if it could be ascertained the location of photo No.3 in Post no.5 (Number 44 of whatever road-with the children by the gate). There seems to be a engraved stone top left hand corner. Maybe with a larger screen the name of the villa might be revealed on it?

Richie.

hi richie no chance of reading the stone....gut feeling on this one tells me it could be somewhere around the birchfield road area....would also love to identify the locations on post 2 but with no clues i am afraid unless folk come on here and say hey that me or thats my mom or dad then they will remain delightful and historical photos but always a mystery

lyn

another 3 unknown locations folks...3rd photo says on the back ? kinstanding depot..

img164.jpg img165.jpg img166.jpg

Lyn

The road roller depot was on Yardley Wood Road a Billesley, and I think the old Bundy clock may have been at the bottom of Albert Street in the City. The one that looks like a pub I'll have to do a bit of research.

Lyn. The first of the three.
Have not looked at every Kellys, but have looked in 1965 and 1975 and can find no Ackies or Alexander Bros, who are named on photo. Jubilee Stout was a product of the Hope & Anchor Breery in shweffield, though I think it was taken over later by Bass. Is there any chance it could be from further north than Birmingham

mike cant say for certain but i wouldnt think so...pic looks to be taken in maybe the late 50s..just a guess though..another long shot...could that be the tall times building in the distance..

Back