• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unknown locations

Great photo's as usual Lyn, #4, photo 2, shows I believe a WW1 message (by the letter style), still on the house wall surviving all those years till the 60's, the photos remind me of a certain part of Brum at this time, namely "Balsall Heath", it is just as I remember the old city before the great change. Paul

hi paul...the only reason that i knew the location of that photo was guildford st is because i have a similar shot in black and white taken a few years before the colour photo...here they are side by side and lets face it we cant forget a message like that on the wall of a house...i would agree it comes from ww1

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
  • guildford st 6.jpg
    guildford st 6.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55
paul i am hoping to get some more unknown locations sent to me...cant say when but as soon as i have them i will post them

lyn

Going back a few weeks now, it would be wonderful if it could be ascertained the location of photo No.3 in Post no.5 (Number 44 of whatever road-with the children by the gate). There seems to be a engraved stone top left hand corner. Maybe with a larger screen the name of the villa might be revealed on it?

Richie.

hi richie no chance of reading the stone....gut feeling on this one tells me it could be somewhere around the birchfield road area....would also love to identify the locations on post 2 but with no clues i am afraid unless folk come on here and say hey that me or thats my mom or dad then they will remain delightful and historical photos but always a mystery

lyn

another 3 unknown locations folks...3rd photo says on the back ? kinstanding depot..

img164.jpg img165.jpg img166.jpg

Lyn

The road roller depot was on Yardley Wood Road a Billesley, and I think the old Bundy clock may have been at the bottom of Albert Street in the City. The one that looks like a pub I'll have to do a bit of research.

Lyn. The first of the three.
Have not looked at every Kellys, but have looked in 1965 and 1975 and can find no Ackies or Alexander Bros, who are named on photo. Jubilee Stout was a product of the Hope & Anchor Breery in shweffield, though I think it was taken over later by Bass. Is there any chance it could be from further north than Birmingham

mike cant say for certain but i wouldnt think so...pic looks to be taken in maybe the late 50s..just a guess though..another long shot...could that be the tall times building in the distance..

Lyn. The first of the three.
Have not looked at every Kellys, but have looked in 1965 and 1975 and can find no Ackies or Alexander Bros, who are named on photo. Jubilee Stout was a product of the Hope & Anchor Breery in shweffield, though I think it was taken over later by Bass. Is there any chance it could be from further north than Birmingham

Mike that's about the same conclusion that I arrived at, though I went a little further back than 1965.

could be one that got mixed in with brum photos then phil...any ideas on the other 2 i posted

I thought it said Mackies as well. The steam roller depot was, I think, opposite the road I live in but will check with my husband later as he knew the area well before me. It is listed between St Agnes Road and Coldbath Road therefore it is where I thought it was.
Janice

Last edited:
A search seems to indicate Mackies were a wine merchants with branches all over the country. Not sure if this is the firm in photo number 1.
Janice

There is the premises 'Alexander Bros' and darkening the top right corner shows a large high building and some overhead cables looking like tram cables held up by the support cable from the post on the left. So it looks like it is on a tram or trolleybus route.

Phil

Both Mike and I have searched on Kelly's for both Alexander Brothers and Mackies to no avail.

Will photo the "Oil Roller Depot" or rather what is there now in the morning when I go for the paper! I think some of the trees are still there!
Janice

Last edited:
I thought it said Mackies as well. The steam roller depot was, I think, opposite the road I live in but will check with my husband later as he knew the area well before me. It is listed between St Agnes Road and Coldbath Road therefore it is where I thought it was.
Janice

thats great thanks janice i can now write the location on it...almost looks as though there is a park behind it....what area does it come under..

lyn

Will photo the "Oil Roller Depot" or rather what is there now in the morning when I go for the paper! I think some of the trees are still there!
Janice
So is that by Windermere Rd. Not so far from where the Wake Green driving test centre was(is?) located

Jim - yes to first - have no idea about the second.
Lyn - it is Moseley Ashfield cricket club (these days anyway) and also backs onto Moseley Golf Club. I will include a map when I put the pics on. Postal address is Moseley, council ward is Springfield.
Janice

thanks janice i will write location on back of photo now...out all morning back later

lyn

Morning Lyn (or afternoon if later on!). The map is marked as follows: red cross is where I stood by the pillar box to take the photos; the red line is the site of the road in the photo; the green line is the line of trees seen behind the Road Roller depot on your photo; blue circle is the depot site. I have reposted your photo so people can easily see both. On the last photo the trees are roughly where the trees were in the left of your photo and could well be the same ones!
Janice

Attachments

• road rollers.jpg
    road rollers.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 43
  • 1952 map marked.jpg
    1952 map marked.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Road rollers 1.jpg
    Road rollers 1.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Road rollers 2.jpg
    Road rollers 2.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 41
Great photographs and have to say there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.

Would have made great detectives..

I didn't identify the original photo of the roller depot as I have not lived in the area long enough but once the location was identified it was easy. I see that view every day - love the greenery and we are still quite close to city centre (3 and a bit miles). Moseley Bog over the road , Sarehole Mill just up the road and 3 cricket pitches within walking distance!

Janice

Last edited:
Your mention of Kingstanding Depot on one of the cards reminds me that there used to be such a depot in Sidcup Road Kingstanding during the war and post war period. In the war it was the base for the local Civil Defence group, my father used to attend there.

I didn't identify the original photo of the roller depot as I have not lived in the area long enough but once the location was identified it was easy. I see that view every day - love the greenery and we are still quite close to city centre (3 and a bit miles). Moseley Bog over the road , Sarehole Mill just up the road and 3 cricket pitches within walking distance!

Janice
You didn't mention pitch and putt in Swanshurst Park! I shall have to learn how to do coloured squiggles on maps. Do your neighbours not wonder why you were out taking pictures of their washing?

I am not sure the pitch and putt is still there - the tennis courts went a long time ago. I did wonder about the washing but wanted the photo and the only person watching was the lady working in the corner shop! Possible the people in the cars but no one seemed to bother.
Out of interest, as you seem to know the area, where was the driving test centre? As for coloured squiggles I use a programme called "paint" which is a microsoft programme - a bit of practice lets you add things to jpeg files - it also lets you crop bits out of large images and save them which is what I did to get the small section of map I included.
Janice

thanks janic thats great...i agree that those trees could very well be same ones...if i worried about what folk thought when i take photos i would never take them...i just take them and run lol

lyn

Back