• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unknown casualties of War.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
My grandfather fought in WW1 in France ,he came home a broken man,gassed and in very delicate health.
My grandmother did her best to get him back to the strong healthy man he had been but he always had nightmares.
He was very unsettled when WW2 was declared and when the bombs began to fall on England he could not take any more ,his health deteriated and
he took his own life by cutting his throat.
There must have been many men who had fought in the trenches of France 1914-1918 who suffered so much in 1939-1945 by having the horrors all brought back to them.

How very sad Alberta we tend to forget the men who returned and many suffered terribly by being gassed and what they saw. I always think of not just the casualties but all the men who fought in that terrible war.

I have been heartened by a contact on this forum who posted asking for help. When I read the story I was quite amazed that someone relatively young would take on such a quest. https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37936&highlight=Clive

When we were kids in the 50s, there was an ex soldier who had served in WW1, his name was Mr Parkes, he was married and lived in one of the back houses in Hingeston Street (as it was then ). He had been the sole survivor of a battery of guns and had also been gassed. He could walk for about 30 metres and then had to stop to get his breath.

Back