• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unitarian Brotherhood

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
I am probably posting this in the wrong place but.....

Great Uncle Harry Woodyatt of 27 Bishop Street, Birmingham, has written on his medical discharge form from WW1 that his National health Approved Society is the Unitarian Brotherhood, Birmingham.

Can anyone tell me anything about this organisation? Do any of their records survive and if so where are they stored?

I'll try posting this request around the site and see if anyone can up with something

Thanks for reading this
Helen

Unitarians are Christians, there is no strict dogma they need adhere to as far as I know, they can pretty well believe what they like. . .

Yes but what I am really after is info about their role as a National Health Approved Society.

Before the welfare state came into being after WW2, workers used to pay into "clubs" so that they could be paid "benefit" in times of hardship such as illness.

Harry appears to have offered the Unitarian Brotherhood as his "club" when he enlisted in 1914. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about their role in that type of work?

Helen

Back