• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union Street

Not really history, but this week Argos have opened a new store on Union Street (where Poundland was before they moved to the old H & M store at Martineau Place, Corporation Street). Looks like the previous Argos store next door has closed. It's the store where Dixons used to be ages ago.

For me only WH Smith, Boots and BHS are worth going to on Union Street. Also the Sainsbury's Local in Martineau Place (and Super Drug on the corner of Corporation Street). And Gap is the only Martineau Place retailer to still be on the Union Street / Corporation Street corner (never been in myself).

So good that the Union Street library is remembered Ell. Was also wondering if the clock on the other side of the entrance is significant. Does anyone know. Viv.

Union Street in the early 1960s with the Tax Office looming over it. Seeing that building reminds of an interview I had there with a tax inspector in 1968. They tried to hit me with capital gains tax on some employee shares I had sold. I had kept all my old tax records and proved that during previous years they had deducted too much tax and they owed me more than I owed them. I walked out of the building with a victory smile on my face.
Union Street early 1960s.jpg

Union Street in the 1970s. Looks like work was going on at the City Arcade (right). I felt sure that the C&A entrance (behind the workers lorry) was still in use at that time, but it looks all boarded up. There’s also a ‘To Let’ board on the building. Image must be about late1970s. Think W.H Smith took over the site. Used that entrance many, many times. In fact I rarely used the C&A main entrance on Corporation Street. Viv.

FC634575-5E14-466A-A4E7-AED8624122A6.jpeg

Just read OldMohawk's post from last year, I used to work for the Inland Revenue in City Centre House in Union Street :-D

Rupert
Have just realised I have a better copy of that picture (see below). It is 25 on the building after the library, not 20, and there is some text also, which confirms things (as long as it is cvorrect. Picture is c 1870. incidently the dorway on the far left of the picture , showing "Fire" is the Lancashire Fire & Life Insurrance Co. the directories of 1868 and 1872 do not list the building this side of the library as the Borough Treasurers Office, but the Birmingham Gas & Coke Co
Mike

union_st_c_1870.jpg
Morning Mike. Edgbaston Archery Society held its second meeting at the Old Library back in 1860 and I'm looking for a high resolution image to include in the history which I am producing. Woud you be able to provide or point me in the direction of where the above was published and I'll purchase a copy and work from there.

Good morning Robert
The photograph is used on the back cover of "Lost Buildings of Birmingham" by Roy Thornton. He states in his acknowledgments that all the photographs other than 5 of Sutton Coldfield, are held (with copyright) by the Central Library Archive and Heritage section . Do not know how long it will take for you to receive a reply though !

Good morning Robert
The photograph is used on the back cover of "Lost Buildings of Birmingham" by Roy Thornton. He states in his acknowledgments that all the photographs other than 5 of Sutton Coldfield, are held (with copyright) by the Central Library Archive and Heritage section . Do not know how long it will take for you to receive a reply though !
Many thanks Mike. I'm in touch with them on several maters including the history of Edgbaston Archery & LTS in particular and lawn tennis in general. I'll see what can be done. May have to wait until they reopen and I can visit in person.

I know I am very late but I just love this photo. Thank you. I remember it so well.
Is my memory playing tricks. I left Birmingham in 1973, but previously lived in Hodge Hill & I'm sure we caught the 56 bus to the Fox & Goose from outside Henry's in Union Street. Please would someone confirm or deny this.( Incidentally I remember the entrance to C&A in Union Passage.)

Is my memory playing tricks. I left Birmingham in 1973, but previously lived in Hodge Hill & I'm sure we caught the 56 bus to the Fox & Goose from outside Henry's in Union Street. Please would someone confirm or deny this.( Incidentally I remember the entrance to C&A in Union Passage.)
Hi Senoraruz, Yes, that is correct. You can see the 56 bus stop on the right there. It used to stop in Coleshill Street, which was just a little up the road from where I used to live in Gopsal Street. There was the 55 bus too but I don’t think that stopped in Union Street. That went to Shard End, not too far from the Fox and Goose.... the entrance to C&A was in Union Passage too. Sue

Hi Senoraruz, Yes, that is correct. You can see the 56 bus stop on the right there. It used to stop in Coleshill Street, which was just a little up the road from where I used to live in Gopsal Street. There was the 55 bus too but I don’t think that stopped in Union Street. That went to Shard End, not too far from the Fox and Goose.... the entrance to C&A was in Union Passage too. Sue
Pretty sure the 55 stopped in Old Square in my day. Used to catch it when going to my grandmother's house in Stechford lane.

I remember the C&A entrance in Union Passage. Always used that entrance (you had to go down a few steps inside the doorway to the sales floor). There were lots of those circular display carousels near the doorway in the 1970s. I rarely used the Corporation Street entrance as the Union Passage entrance always seemed to me much more central and easily accessible from the other main shops (M&S, Co-op, BHS etc) on High Street and New Street. Viv.

I remember the C&A entrance in Union Passage. Always used that entrance (you had to go down a few steps inside the doorway to the sales floor). There were lots of those circular display carousels near the doorway in the 1970s. I rarely used the Corporation Street entrance as the Union Passage entrance always seemed to me much more central and easily accessible from the other main shops (M&S, Co-op, BHS etc) on High Street and New Street. Viv.
Hi Viv, Just had a thought... Do you rememember the Post Office....Down the steps opposite C&A? Sue

Yes I remember the PO too. Went in there a few times. It was modern (1960s!), had a modern clock on the outside wall with posting boxes alongside. Not a particularly nice building as it was surrounded by tall buildings but it was much handier than the large GPO at Victoria Square. Viv.

Back