• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union Glassworks

bit off on the date but oh wow i was right...my 4x gt grandad john harrington b 1781 glos is on the 1841 census living in darmouth st with his 2 daughters aged 18 and 16 (wife had died) occupation glass blower...i know i cant prove it but i think its a good bet he worked at bacchus glass works although quickly reading this thread there was more than one glassworks in dartmouth st ?? :) well heres hoping but i will add it to his notes now.. on the 51 census he has moved to heneage st and is down as a glass maker also on the 51 and 61 i have 2 young harrington rellies at ashted row aged 15 and 13 down as glass blowers/makers..later on i will have a proper good read of this thread

lyn

Last edited:
thanks for that list mike...its worth saving it...as i can only see geo bacchus at dartmouth st i am leaning more to the fact that my 4x gt grandad worked there simply because at that time he lived in dartmouth st although this is not set in stone and cant be verified and looking at that list glassmaking was a booming trade so he could have worked for anyone......but for now i am happy to hope it was geo bacchus he worked at.as said earlier by 1851 he was at heanage st as glassmaker and there was chas wood glass works there so maybe he worked there as well

lyn

Last edited:
just picked up on this interesting thread...i think i had a rellie who was a glass blower living in dartmouth st.... it could have been around 1851/61...will have to check my notes on this but if he did it could be he worked at this glassworks

lyn
Hi Astoness,
Like you, I am picking up on an interesting (two-year-old) thread on glassmaking. As I think you know I researched glassmaking and published "Glassmakers of Stourbridge and Dudley 1612-2002" in 2002. I discovered significant movement of both proprietors and my own workmen ancestors between Stourbridge, Dudley and Birmingham in the Victorian era (some moved to and from Bristol and South Yorkshire as well). When I was researching for my book I had to resist being tempted into Birmingham because the scale of research in Stourbridge and Dudley alone was vast - I couldn't afford the distraction. But Birmingham has a huge glassmaking tradition of its own, "John Walsh Walsh" is recognised as being a manufacturer of the finest quality glassware. Also Baccus (although London-centric), Lloyd & Summerfield and many others had proud traditions. Chance Brothers at Smethwick may be regarded as on the periphery of Birmingham, but their contribution was immense.
As for Mayor Oppenheim, also mentioned in this thread. Yes, he was a glassmaker at Snow hill, but I suspect his output was largely glass buttons, much favoured by the Birmingham "toymakers" i.e. jewelry and trinket manufacturers in the 18th century.
If you would like to start a new thread on "Birmingham glassmakers" I think there remains a lot to be explored and there is not yet a definitive book on the subject, which it deserves.

hi jason yes please feel free to start a new thread i think we would find it very interesting...just as an aside my grandfather on moms side worked at chances glass...i had a tour of the building about 4 years ago as far as i know it is still undergoing restoration

lyn

As for Mayor Oppenheim, also mentioned in this thread. Yes, he was a glassmaker at Snow hill, but I suspect his output was largely glass buttons, much favoured by the Birmingham "toymakers" i.e. jewelry and trinket manufacturers in the 18th century.
Hello Jason,
I purchased your book when it was first released - essential reading for anyone with an interest in Stourbridge glass.
His name was actually Mayer Oppenheim (also noted as Opnaim) who was active from at least 1762, although I have seen an earlier mention of 1757. While we don't know for certain what he produced - toys are a very likely suggestion - his main claim to fame was reinventing a transparent red flint glass and by 1770 advertised as "a beautiful Opaque or transparent Garnet or red glass". Although he went bankrupt in 1777 and languished in a debtors' jail by 1780, he did eventually move to France.
David Encill
www.chanceglass.net

In addition to the trade directory excepts provided a couple of years ago I offer the following summary of glassworks in and around Birmingham. I have deliberately omitted the Stourbridge and Dudley glassworks because that's a completly different story and place. However, there was significant movement of proprietors and workmen between both locations. As there was to and from Bristol and South Yorkshire.

Snow Hill Glassworks
1656 Mayer Oppenheim obtains patent for red & ruby flint glass
1762 Mayer Oppenheim advertises glasshouse and dealing house for sale.
1775 Mayer Oppenheim became bankrupt.

Union Glassworks, Dartmouth Street
1818 Established Bacchus, Green & Green
1822 Bacchus and Green
1833 George Bacchus & Co.
1841 George Bacchus & Sons
1851 exhibited at Great Exhibition
1860 Bacchus family sold out to Stone, Fawdry & Stone
1860 Sir Ben Stone joins firm (friend of the Richardsons)
187? Closed

Etna Flint Glass Works, Birmingham
1851 July 24th press moulded and uranium coloured plate registered by George Joseph Green.

Bagot Street Glassworks
Made flat glass
1850 purchased by Chance Brothers
1876 closed by Chance Brothers

Victoria Glassworks, Dartmouth Street
Run by James Stevens senior & his son James junior until about 1880

Park Glass Works, Spring Hill
1788 founded by Isaac Hawker formerly a glasscutter of Spiceal Street, then a glassmaker of 14 Edgbaston Street.
1792 death of Isaac Hawker, business continued by his son John
1803 John Hawker still working the glasshouse
1808 or earlier passed to Biddle and Lloyd (John Biddle and David Lloyd)
1822 last known reference to Biddle & Lloyd
1833 reference to John Biddle alone.
1850 Lloyd & Summerfield made coloured vases shaped like the onion family
1861 Lloyd & Summerfield apply the Siemens’ patent furnace to glass melting

Islington Glass Works, Birmingham Heath.
1799 built by Owen Johnson after his glass toy manufactory in Birmingham was destroyed by fire in 1799 (see Aris Gazette of 4 Sep 1799)
1803 Owen Johnson alone mentioned in trade directory.
1805 established partnership of Shakespear & Johnson abandons the New Town Glasshouse, Walmer lane and joined by John Berry establish themselves here.
1815, December 20th partnership dissolved. Shakespear either founded or moved to the neighbouring Soho Glassworks. Johnson & Berry take Rice Harris into partnership.
1829, May 8th Owen Johnson retires
1832 Aug 9th, John Berry leaves partnership.
1833 firm run as Rice Harris & Co.
1849 employed 400 hands.
1878/9 closed

Belmont Row Glass Works, Great Brook Street, Ashted, Aston
Established some time after 1804 when Thomas Harris left the partnership of Hughes and Harris to take up glass making. Run by partnership of Harris, Smart and Co. Partners were Thomas Harris, T. L. Hawkes, Thomas Smart and Rice Harris.
1810 Hawkes and Smart leave the firm. Thomas Harris and Rice Harris continued until 1814.
1814, November 8th Rice Harris left and was replaced by John Harris.
1819, September 7th, John Harris retires and the firm becomes Harris, Gammon & Co. (probably Thomas Harris, William Gammon and Thomas Lowe).
T Harris eventually died or retired and the firm became William Gammon & Co.
1832 Thomas Lowe retired, business continued by William Gammon
1833 William Gammon & Co mentioned.

Broad Street Glasshouse
1832 Messrs A. F. Osler and T.C. Osler moves established family firm of glasscutters to Broad Street
1849 exhibited at Birmingham Exhibition

Icknield Glassworks, Freeth Street, Rotton Park
1850 F & C Osler take Edward Page as partner and move to purpose-built glasshouse on the bank of the old Birmingham Canal.
1851 produced glass fountain centrepiece for the great exhibition
1855 F & C Osler were sole owners
1882 F & C Osler made etagere now in Birmingham Museum
1922 closed.

Hands Glassworks, Lodge Road, Hockley
Crystal and coloured glass
1930 closed

Soho & Vesta Glass Works, Lodge Road, Hockley
1816 William Shakespear left the Islington glassworks and took into partnership Thomas Fletcher to build or buy the Soho works.
1822 Thomas Fletcher left the firm.
1833 run as Hannah Shakespear & Co.
1850 John Walsh Walsh purchased factory from Samuel Shakespear
1882 Lewis John Murray joins as manager
1951 closed

Isaac Barnes
1855-75 Cambridge Street, Broad Street, Summer Row

Barr Street, Great Hampton Row, Hockley
Francis Barnes
Coloured glass
1858 Closed

Warstone Lane, Hockley
G.H. Barnes
Closed 1890

Hampton Street Glassworks
1865 established by Thomas Lane

Great Brook Street, Glasshouse, Aston
1829-1887 W. Gammon & Son

Toledo Glassworks, Aston Brook Street, Aston
Parkes & Saunders

Spon Lane Glassworks, Smethwick
1814 British Crown Glass Company formed by Thomas and Philip Palmer, Nathaniel Chater and Samuel Brookes
1822 October 17th Thomas Shutt died.
1824 purchased by Lucas Chance
1832 sheet glass introduced by Lucas Chance.
1840 invented paper-thin glass for microscopy
1847 Chances adopt new method of making rolled plate-glass.
1851 shown on ordnance survey as British Glass Works
1851 built a lighthouse works in the site

Birmingham Plate Glass (Gibbins), Smethwick
1877 closed by Chance Brothers

Halesowen Street Glassworks, Oldbury
Manufactured antique-glass for most of 19th Century.

bit off on the date but oh wow i was right...my 4x gt grandad john harrington b 1781 glos is on the 1841 census living in darmouth st with his 2 daughters aged 18 and 16 (wife had died) occupation glass blower...i know i cant prove it but i think its a good bet he worked at bacchus glass works although quickly reading this thread there was more than one glassworks in dartmouth st ?? :) well heres hoping but i will add it to his notes now.. on the 51 census he has moved to heneage st and is down as a glass maker also on the 51 and 61 i have 2 young harrington rellies at ashted row aged 15 and 13 down as glass blowers/makers..later on i will have a proper good read of this thread

lyn
John Harrington is my 3rd gt grandfather so we must be related!

John Harrington was a glassmaker. His constantly changing abode reflects the tenuous employment situation of a Victorian glassmaker. Heneage Street, Aston, Dartmouth Street, Birmingham, Dudley, Oldswinford and later Wollaston. All of these areas had glassworks in the Victorian era.

His daughter Mary Ann married my great-great grandfather William Ellis who was also a glassmaker.

A word for the unwary. John Harrington was born at Winchcombe in Gloucestershire. The census enumerators sometime write this as Witcham (which is how it is pronounced). This tempts genealogy sites' algorithms to align records with Witcham in Cambridgeshire, which is not correct.

Also for the unwary, I doubt that he ever formally married his life-long partner Susanna. When they baptised Susannah and Mary Ann at St Phillips, Birmingham on 24 Dec 1832 the officiant marked the parish register as "single woman" with an exclamation mark. Which, sadly means we may never know her maiden name.

In addition to the trade directory excepts provided a couple of years ago I offer the following summary of glassworks in and around Birmingham. I have deliberately omitted the Stourbridge and Dudley glassworks because that's a completly different story and place. However, there was significant movement of proprietors and workmen between both locations. As there was to and from Bristol and South Yorkshire.

Snow Hill Glassworks
1656 Mayer Oppenheim obtains patent for red & ruby flint glass
1762 Mayer Oppenheim advertises glasshouse and dealing house for sale.
1775 Mayer Oppenheim became bankrupt.

Union Glassworks, Dartmouth Street
1818 Established Bacchus, Green & Green
1822 Bacchus and Green
1833 George Bacchus & Co.
1841 George Bacchus & Sons
1860 Bacchus family sold out to Stone, Fawdry & Stone
1860 Sir Ben Stone joins firm (friend of the Richardsons)
187? Closed

Etna Flint Glass Works, Birmingham
1851 July 24th press moulded and uranium coloured plate registered by George Joseph Green.

Bagot Street Glassworks
Made flat glass
1850 purchased by Chance Brothers
1876 closed by Chance Brothers

Victoria Glassworks, Dartmouth Street
Run by James Stevens senior & his son James junior until about 1880

Park Glass Works, Spring Hill
1788 founded by Isaac Hawker formerly a glasscutter of Spiceal Street, then a glassmaker of 14 Edgbaston Street.
1792 death of Isaac Hawker, business continued by his son John
1803 John Hawker still working the glasshouse
1808 or earlier passed to Biddle and Lloyd (John Biddle and David Lloyd)
1822 last known reference to Biddle & Lloyd
1833 reference to John Biddle alone.
1850 Lloyd & Summerfield made coloured vases shaped like the onion family
1861 Lloyd & Summerfield apply the Siemens’ patent furnace to glass melting

Islington Glass Works, Birmingham Heath.
1799 built by Owen Johnson after his glass toy manufactory in Birmingham was destroyed by fire in 1799 (see Aris Gazette of 4 Sep 1799)
1803 Owen Johnson alone mentioned in trade directory.
1805 established partnership of Shakespear & Johnson abandons the New Town Glasshouse, Walmer lane and joined by John Berry establish themselves here.
1815, December 20th partnership dissolved. Shakespear either founded or moved to the neighbouring Soho Glassworks. Johnson & Berry take Rice Harris into partnership.
1829, May 8th Owen Johnson retires
1832 Aug 9th, John Berry leaves partnership.
1833 firm run as Rice Harris & Co.
1849 employed 400 hands.
1878/9 closed

Belmont Row Glass Works, Great Brook Street, Ashted, Aston
Established some time after 1804 when Thomas Harris left the partnership of Hughes and Harris to take up glass making. Run by partnership of Harris, Smart and Co. Partners were Thomas Harris, T. L. Hawkes, Thomas Smart and Rice Harris.
1810 Hawkes and Smart leave the firm. Thomas Harris and Rice Harris continued until 1814.
1814, November 8th Rice Harris left and was replaced by John Harris.
1819, September 7th, John Harris retires and the firm becomes Harris, Gammon & Co. (probably Thomas Harris, William Gammon and Thomas Lowe).
T Harris eventually died or retired and the firm became William Gammon & Co.
1832 Thomas Lowe retired, business continued by William Gammon
1833 William Gammon & Co mentioned.

Broad Street Glasshouse
1832 Messrs A. F. Osler and T.C. Osler moves established family firm of glasscutters to Broad Street
1849 exhibited at Birmingham Exhibition

Icknield Glassworks, Freeth Street, Rotton Park
1850 F & C Osler take Edward Page as partner and move to purpose-built glasshouse on the bank of the old Birmingham Canal.
1851 produced glass fountain centrepiece for the great exhibition
1855 F & C Osler were sole owners
1882 F & C Osler made etagere now in Birmingham Museum
1922 closed.

Hands Glassworks, Lodge Road, Hockley
Crystal and coloured glass
1930 closed

Soho & Vesta Glass Works, Lodge Road, Hockley
1816 William Shakespear left the Islington glassworks and took into partnership Thomas Fletcher to build or buy the Soho works.
1822 Thomas Fletcher left the firm.
1833 run as Hannah Shakespear & Co.
1850 John Walsh Walsh purchased factory from Samuel Shakespear
1882 Lewis John Murray joins as manager
1951 closed

Isaac Barnes
1855-75 Cambridge Street, Broad Street, Summer Row

Barr Street, Great Hampton Row, Hockley
Francis Barnes
Coloured glass
1858 Closed

Warstone Lane, Hockley
G.H. Barnes
Closed 1890

Hampton Street Glassworks
1865 established by Thomas Lane

Great Brook Street, Glasshouse, Aston
1829-1887 W. Gammon & Son

Toledo Glassworks, Aston Brook Street, Aston
Parkes & Saunders

Spon Lane Glassworks, Smethwick
1814 British Crown Glass Company formed by Thomas and Philip Palmer, Nathaniel Chater and Samuel Brookes
1822 October 17th Thomas Shutt died.
1824 purchased by Lucas Chance
1832 sheet glass introduced by Lucas Chance.
1840 invented paper-thin glass for microscopy
1847 Chances adopt new method of making rolled plate-glass.
1851 shown on ordnance survey as British Glass Works
1851 built a lighthouse works in the site

Birmingham Plate Glass (Gibbins), Smethwick
1877 closed by Chance Brothers

Halesowen Street Glassworks, Oldbury
Manufactured antique-glass for most of 19th Century.
Can you possibly throw any further light on Isaac Hawker and his son John Alfred Hawker? Where they came from etc. please. Also, if you have the time, another of my husband's ancestors with the name Silvers, was supposed to be connected to glass manufacturing in Birmingham, but I can only find boot and shoe makers! My sister-in-law has inherited a pair of beautiful red glass swans which were made by a distant family ancestor! This thread makes very interesting reading. Thank you.

Isaac Hawker seems to have started his business in Edgbaston St in 1772 and seems to have concentrated on things such as scent bottles.

Aris Birm GAZ .8.10.1772.jpgAris Birm Gaz. 6.10.1788.jpg

Later there seems to have been a descendent Isaac Hawker Bedford who was into glassmaking

Birm,J. 3.1.1846.jpgAris.Birm Gaz. 29.5.1843.jpg

Hi, I’ve just found the Birmingham History Forum site and this thread because I discovered a 3rd great grandfather James Steven.
In the 1851 census he was shown residing on Aston Brook and his occupation was glass manufacturer. With some investigation I found the 1850 Post Office Directory published by W Kelly & Co. That directory, on page 157, lists Stevens James, flint and coloured glass manufacturer, Victoria glass works, Dartmouth Street. On page 38 he shown to be located at #183 Dartmouth, sharing it with Rubery and Evans a papier-mâché maker, seemingly a strange combination of manufacturing endeavours. Can anyone provide a description or picture of what that end of Dartmouth Street looked like?
I see from an earlier posting by Jason Ellis that James Stevens Sr and James Jr operated the firm until about 1880.
Does anyone know what his products were? Flint glass, I understand could either be used for optics or since it contains lead I’m guessing it could be used to make crystal glassware. The reference to coloured glass would imply stained glass and I’m wondering did he produce the stained glass used by artists for widows and other art work?
Any help would be appreciated and would help me learn about this 3rd great grandfather.

Back