• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Uniform Identification Request

MWS

from Bham
This is supposedly a picture my grandfather, who served in WW1 but he looks too young in this photo for it to be of that period. Can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks.

P1070500a.jpg

thats a lovely photo MWS and i must say he does look at least 18 to me...there was a lot of under ages signing up though...do you have his army records...our experts on here maybe able to identify his cap badge...

lyn

This is supposedly a picture my grandfather, who served in WW1 but he looks too young in this photo for it to be of that period. Can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks.

View attachment 96425

Yes he looks young WMS but even so, he is a soldier in WW1 !
His cap badge looks like The Royal Welsh Fusiliers but I'll have another search, just to make sure.

Thank you for your replies.

That throws a bit of a spanner in the work.

My grandfather was definitely in the Labour Corps and was 37 when the war started. When I said too young I meant for the year not his age. Unfortunately I don't have his army records and I'm not sure if he was in the army before hand, he appears on both the 1901 and 1911 census as a civilian.

However, I know his younger brother was definitely in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers from 1898 to 1914. He was born in 1880.

Back