• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uniform c1915

SandyBrook

knowlegable brummie
I'm trying to unravel a family wedding photo, from the guessed age of my dad in the little chair this would be about 1915/1916 or maybe a little earlier (he was born in 1910)Wedding query.jpg

There are two soldiers on the photo, I understand the one at the back in the flat hat may be Royal Garrison Artillery but I have no idea what regiment the soldier on the left in the slouch hat may have belonged to. Has anyone any ideas please?

The photo would have been taken in the back garden of my grandads house in Dymoke Street

Regards Clive Sanbrook

He was George Sanbrook and it was 60 Dymoke Street, he’s the seated gent to the right with the buttonhole flower, watch chain and moustache, I assume from his smart dress and the fact that it’s his back garden there was some family involvement. Grandads second wife by this time was Emmie Adams Pritchard (my dads mother) so there are likely to be a mix of families I think. First wife was a Lottie (maybe for Charlotte) Quiney I understand
i can remember visiting there in my own childhood when it was still gas lit.

I'm trying to unravel a family wedding photo, from the guessed age of my dad in the little chair this would be about 1915/1916 or maybe a little earlier (he was born in 1910)View attachment 147632

There are two soldiers on the photo, I understand the one at the back in the flat hat may be Royal Garrison Artillery but I have no idea what regiment the soldier on the left in the slouch hat may have belonged to. Has anyone any ideas please?

The photo would have been taken in the back garden of my grandads house in Dymoke Street

Regards Clive Sanbrook
The soldier on the left is wearing a slouch hat that troops wore in the Boer War.

Having had a closer look, I think like MWS, the man's uniform differs from the British Service Dress. I'm inclined to think it's Australian too. Looking at the soldier at the back, I don't think he's wearing an Artillery cap badge, it could even be Warwickshire Regiment. Just to make things even more complicated, the "Aussie" has a trade badge on his arm which looks suspiciously like a Layer's badge. An artillery qualification !

do you know the name of the bride and groom if so we could at least date the photo by looking at the marriages on ancestry?

lyn

I wonder if anybody can help me? My grandfather was born in Dymoke Street in 1883 and the address given on his birth certificate was Box Buildings, Dymoke Street. They moved to Birmingham from Bristol sometime after the 1881 census. I found an entry in the Trade directories for John Fox - also the name of my great grandfather - in 1892 at 49 Dymoke Street and am wondering if Box Buildings could also have a number 49 or would they be 2 totally different buildings and 2 totally different men. Somebody on another site said that Box Buildings could be underground but if that's the case would there be houses. In 1883 there were 2 adults and 4 children. I have them in Birmingham on the 1891 census but Grt Grandfather died in 1894 and I cannot find his sons or wife until 1911 when I can find only one of the boys. I have found all the daughters in 1901. I know the boys were in Birmingham whenWW1 broke out as I know 2 of the 3 sons were killed - my grandfather didn't serve as he was ill. Any help would be very much appreciated as I've hit brickwalls with this family. Many thanks

hi betty just what we like...members who have done their own research and hit a brick wall...i am sure myself and others members will try to help you..

lyn

hi betty just what we like...members who have done their own research and hit a brick wall...i am sure myself and others members will try to help you..

lyn
Thank you Lyn. They have been a nightmare trying to work out where they lived, when and even marriage and deaths as John Fox was born in Yorks, moved to Stafford, apparently widowed there before marring my grt grandmother, also widowed. Constantly moved between Staffs, Worcs and Birmingham and still haven't been able to find a 1st marriage nor the death certificate for John Fox! Still, keeps me busy!!!

oh the joys of tracking rellies down betty...some years ago i had the same problem with my gt gt grandad..married in ladywood then he goes missing leaving wife and 2 young sons...eventually tracked him down in yorkshire ..he married again so was a bigamist and had another 4 children..i have got both of his marriage certs all info indentical including his signature lol...

at least you now have a map showing box buildings and hopefully our members will help you unravel the other brick walls...never give up

lyn

This from the 1915 Kelly's shows that 60 Dymoke st was near Conybere st
Carlton Place is also shown on previous map

60 dymoke st 1915 kellys.png

Last edited:
oh the joys of tracking rellies down betty...some years ago i had the same problem with my gt gt grandad..married in ladywood then he goes missing leaving wife and 2 young sons...eventually tracked him down in yorkshire ..he married again so was a bigamist and had another 4 children..i have got both of his marriage certs all info indentical including his signature lol...

at least you now have a map showing box buildings and hopefully our members will help you unravel the other brick walls...never give up

lyn
I started researching our family history about 15-20 years ago and put it aside, pick it up again but have now got the bug again but, as I say, this side of the family are proving a real mystery. I know about them from 1911 or so onwards and through the war years and after but it is the early years proving hard. I am still trying to unravel where the 3 sons were after their fathers death in 1894 until 1911. Cannot find them nor their mother anywhere in Birmingham although I have the 4 sisters. The children were very young. The 3 older girls all in their teens but the other 4 were all under 10. My grandfather being the 10 year old. Hard going when there is nobody left to ask!!

There are a John & Clara Fox living at 49 Dymock St in 1891, so if you've found them somewhere else (Charles Henry St?) then it's somebody else.

You say your g grandfather was John Fox perhaps it might help if you could give the names of his wife and the children. The more you tell us the easier it is to help. Thanks.

Back