• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uniform c1915

Looks like William Rainsford & Emma E Nation. John's father's occupation looks to be Farmer not Labourer. Not much help unfortunately.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the address, couples often used an address of convenience so they could marry in the parish.

Looking at Ardsley, there's an Ardsley in Barnsley district and East & West Ardsley to the south of Leeds which come under Wakefield district. Again not much help.

Yes, William Faulks, Labourer. Both John and Emma are living at Marston Road, Stafford and they were married at Stafford Register Office. I have tried to find out what might have been in Marston Road as John is showing as a Male Nurse so thought perhaps some sort of hospital. However have come up with nothing but by 1881 he is describing himself as a tailor and living in Tenbury
In 1877 the Stafford Union Workhouse was on Marston Road so perhaps he worked there, Other than that there seem to be quite a few boot and shoe factories.

Looks like William Rainsford & Emma E Nation. John's father's occupation looks to be Farmer not Labourer. Not much help unfortunately.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the address, couples often used an address of convenience so they could marry in the parish.

Looking at Ardsley, there's an Ardsley in Barnsley district and East & West Ardsley to the south of Leeds which come under Wakefield district. Again not much help.
Sorry, Yes it is farmer not labourer. I have had no luck finding them on earlier census's although did find a William Fox on the 1841 census born 1806/7 living in Ardsley Town, Darfield which I think is the Barnsley one. There are 2 sons and I know that John had at least one brother so that is a possibility but nothing much to go on really. I've had no luck finding a birth or baptism for John but will persevere!! Many thanks for your help

In 1877 the Stafford Union Workhouse was on Marston Road so perhaps he worked there, Other than that there seem to be quite a few boot and shoe factories.
As he has himself as a male nurse I would go with the Union workhouse although the boot and shoe factories sound promising as he is a tailor on the 2 census I've found for him. More puzzles still to solve!!

I found a William Fox in Ardsley on the 1871 census but he was a carter not a farmer. Wife Sarah.
Also there in 1861 and in 1851 two sons at home Thomas and John (born abt 1839). That William is a linen weaver.
No idea how we can see if these are right.

Last edited:
I found a William Fox in Ardsley on the 1871 census but he was a carter not a farmer. Wife Sarah.
Also there in 1861 and in 1851 two sons at home Thomas and John (born abt 1839). That William is a linen weaver.
Yes I've come across this before but not too sure as on both 1881 and 1891 census and his marriage cert he is consistent with being born in 1842. However I've never managed to find him on anything with that year and Ardsley so the mystery continues!!

I never worry too much as long as the date is close and try to rely on other info. My own Gran (born 1891) informed the family that "we did it by guesswork back then" - her age on her tombstone is wrong as she and her daughters thought she was born earlier than I now know was the case.

John is a complete mystery to us! Nobody knew that he had been married previous to Emma. If I could find a marriage for that first wife and maybe a birth or baptism I would have a bit more confidence that I am looking at the right person but have found very little concrete about him. I am beginning to think that both John and Emma were a bit Walter Mitty! My aunt told me that Emma always said she was one of 'The Worthingtons' as in the brewers but when her first husband died their child was being brought up by first husbands brother or sister and as far as I am aware once she married John that child stayed with her aunt and uncle. I can find no death cert for John. I am pretty sure he died in Birmingham but it could equally have been in the Ardsley area. One day I will hopefully find out a bit more but at the moment I am baffled by him!! x

The John son of William brother of Thomas is possibly William John. He marries an Emma Jackson in 1863, registered Barnsley.

She is with him in 1871 but interestingly in 1881 & 1891 she is living with family. She is listed as married but there's no sign of her husband.

The John son of William brother of Thomas is possibly William John. He marries an Emma Jackson in 1863, registered Barnsley.

She is with him in 1871 but interestingly in 1881 & 1891 she is living with family. She is listed as married but there's no sign of her husband.
That’s really interesting. I know that 'John' had at least one brother but you have now set me thinking if he was actually William John but went by the name of John. God, I'm now more confused than ever, but that would make a bit of sense if he had married but then went away and married again but said he was a widower. As I said, he was a man of mystery!!

I am on Ancestry.co.uk but cannot find the marriage or the 2 census you refer to. Are you able to point me in the right direction please? x

1881 Emma Fox b1837 in Barnsley district with father, listed as William Senr Jackson.

1891 Emma Fox b1837 in Barnsley district listed as boarder of Eliza Dignum (her sister).

Marriage for William John Fox & Emma Jackson, Dec qtr 1863 Barnsley.

1881 Emma Fox b1837 in Barnsley district with father, listed as William Senr Jackson.

1891 Emma Fox b1837 in Barnsley district listed as boarder of Eliza Dignum (her sister).

Marriage for William John Fox & Emma Jackson, Dec qtr 1863 Barnsley.
Thank you. I found an 1871 census with a William J Fox living with brother Thomas and his family, together with his wife all living in I think it was Wortley. Is this the same as you found?

Back