• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Corporation Street

Nice one Stitcher, always glad to see Corporation Street which to me always felt like the essence of Brum. There was always something going on. My Dad was the head waiter at the New Victoria Hotel for some years from 1946 and I seem to have spent hours looking down on the passing parade of life from the Dining room window.
Thanks for the memories from tuther side of the globe. Tim

Really alan. It was like that when you last went in? - In flames?
Yes it was, but that is why I was there, I never shopped there living some distance from Plymouth. In the link there is some info about the fire.
However, it seems like the HofF Plymouth store could well be reprieved. I could not see any reference in the Birmingham Mail to the reprieve of the Birmingham store but as the Oxford Street, London one will not be closing there should be every hope for the city one.
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/house-of-fraser-saved-flagship-1920988

This part of Corporation Street is the less photographed end. It once had many more buildings (left side of photo). Very surprised to discover the building to the right was once the Labour Exchange. This was later moved to its 1930s home near the Fire Station. Viv.
BB4747D8-28EE-42C3-AD21-43F1DC899A31.jpegC55B6AE1-249D-4358-8E6F-9C44373AAAD7.jpeg

Its amazing what interesting and beautiful architecture you will find if you just lift your vision above eye level. Thanks Rosary Boy

Top two photos are of Caxton House. This is the view on Cannon Street, it is also on Fore Street.

Pevsner on Cannon Street:

The rear of Martin & Chamberlain's building of 1880-1 for Marris & Norton.

Pevsner on Corporation Street:

Nos. 19-21 by Martin & Chamberlain of 1880-1 for Marris and Norton, a furniture shop; their only surviving building on the street they planned. Flemish style in red terracotta, with some brick on the upper storeys. Five bays to Corporation Street with a big central gable, the symmetry carefully broken by the off-centre entrance and first-floor windows. The two floors of display windows reflect the original retail use. Octagonal corner turret with a short spirelet, the only complete survivor of many in the street. Iron frame structure concealed inside.

Hi ,
I am looking for premises from the 1970's corner of Corporation Street and Union Street the shop was England Shoes I would like to know what was next door to it please ,all i can remember was a doorway and stairs and when you climbed them it was like a clothes warehouse, I have asked a few people they all remember it but can't think of the name, it was nearly opposite Cherry Street. Somebody said it will be listed in Kellys directories but i don't know if that is correct. Hope someone can help. Sandra

Hello Sandra... I confirm that it WAS the ABC Warehouse as previous to that it was Pitman's College (previously Lawrence's College where my mother went to school) I went to Pitmans in 1959 and when the College moved to Norfolk House in the Bull Ring around 1961'ish I think the building was empty for a while . My friend and I went for a look around in the warehouse and it brought back wonderful memories of when we went to school there. Pitmans class rooms were over where England Shoe shop was and went up to the top of the building. Next to us on the right was an Hotel... Happy days. GeorgieG.

Buses, of that style, were introduced during the years 1925 - 1927, some lasting until 1935 - 1937. However, as there are no new type buses I suggest mid to late 1920's

Buses, of that style, were introduced during the years 1925 - 1927, some lasting until 1935 - 1937. However, as there are no new type buses I suggest mid to late 1920's
I agree, the Midland Red is definitely 1920s and all the BCT are open staircase 1920s buses. One or two of the cars could be very early thirties, but again what a super picture. Old postcards certainly reflect fashions and development (technical).
Bob

Looking again at post 70, I cannot see the Nathan (jeweller) clock. I am surprised as I have read that the clock came with their move from Union Passage in 1887. Looking through this thread most of the pre WW2 photos do show the clock, it is just that the photo in post 70 is not that focused.
The clock, particularly for women shoppers who had to get home to prepare meals must have been most welcome.
There were three pawnbroker balls beneath the clock signifying that the bought old gold.
1566820282397.png
courtesy of Vivienne in the Clocks thread.

Last edited:
Well it is an unidentified photo, but this doesn't seem to be the right place for it. Can't be Then and Now as I don't have a now,'though I believe someone will quickly supply one.
Screenshot (185).png

Thanks! With a little help from Google Map here is the "Now" picture. Martineau Street has long gone, and doesn't the Poundland building looks so bland in comparison with Fifty Shilling building.
Screenshot (191).png

be the right place for it. Can't be Then and Now as I don't have a now, 'though I believe someone will quickly supply one.

View attachment 138302
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I agree, with #24, what ever have the Birmingham City planners done in the last 50 years,? they have torn down some of the most beautiful and historic, iconic buildings, in Western Europe, and replaced them with totally bland unsympathetic and unsightly monstrosity.s, the new library is an exception, shame. Purely a personal opinion you understand. Paul

There used to be much more to Corporation Street beyond the Methodist Central Hall. This image c1903/4 shows buildings stretching much further down Corporation Street - now its an empty space. A pity. Viv.

7039B5B8-AC11-4B33-9502-2EB4DCA06C58.jpeg
806EE7F2-2F07-46DD-99DF-ACA0F326ED86.jpeg

First time I’ve noticed the unusual building (centre) in this 1939 photo. The building is round or hexagonal (?) next to the ‘Fashion Making Shoe Makers’ premises. Anyone know what it was ? Viv.

5CE37C9F-E2ED-4C8C-A1C1-08F16B9EFE73.jpeg

good question viv...it does not seem to be part of the shoe building...seems to sit on its own bit of rounded pavement...trying to work out what st or passage its near to ...

lyn

Interesting picture Mike. Would the driver be a police officer perhaps coming from Steelhouse Lane or Victoria Law courts do you think?

Back