• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cecil Walker Hampshire Regiment

valbern1

proper brummie kid
Hi all,in possestion of a photo ,of a Cecil H Walker,occupation Watch&Clock maker,he is in ww1 uniform(?) as a corporal ,and he is holding a bugle,he was known to be a military/brass band lover. can anyone help??

1911 at 48 Electric Avenue Witton
Cecil Hugh Walker, aged 30 born 1881 Shrewsbury, Clock Maker; Auto Lighters
Florence Emily Walker, Wife aged 31 born 1880 Birmingham
Henry Cecil Walker, Son aged 5 1906 born Birmingham
Married 6 years
Marriages Dec 1904
Cecil Hugh Walker married Florence Emily Haycock Aston 6d 572

Listed at 29 Wyrley Road 1912-1960

Valbern1, does the photo show any cap badge or other insignia that might help identify him? If it does, are you able to add the image to this page?

Hi Chris,the photo does show a cap badge Just, but for sending photo ,to me stretches my brain capacity, can help??have scanner etc?

Hi, the way I do it is
scan photo and save to desktop (I save there because I'd never find it again!!)
Then go to thread you want to reply to and click on "go advanced.
Scroll down to manage attachments and click on that.
Click on "add files", then on select files
Then a box will pop up with all your files. Select "look in xxx"(wherever you saved it)
Click on the file you want.........click on open,
You should then see it listed in the white box.
Click upload files
Click on "insert inline" then done.adv.JPGatt.JPGadd.JPGdone.JPG

Hi Terry, thanks for your interest.After enlarging this Photo ,and scrutinising,it looks to me to be the Warwicks badge with the number 5 underneath,this I can understand ,BUT the surrounding "Wreath"??What is your opinion ??? regards Valbern1.

Hi Terry, thanks for your interest.After enlarging this Photo ,and scrutinising,it looks to me to be the Warwicks badge with the number 5 underneath,this I can understand ,BUT the surrounding "Wreath"??What is your opinion ??? regards Valbern1.

I agree with Terry, a better scan would be a big help.
My first reaction, seeing how large the badge appears to be, was something like the Manchester Regt.
I can't find a badge with a "5" at the bottom but if it appears to be an animal of some sort, surrounded by a wreath and (something) underneath, I would be tempted to think of something like the badge of the Hampshires.
Baz.

Hi Baz,on reflection you may be right i.e. Hampshire Reg.!! The "5" would be reflextion from the Rosette.The question now would be,what was he doing in the Hampshires? he was Witton thro*thro. Member of the Barn workingmans club(Now closed I believe.) regards valbern1.

I have checked Ancestry and cannot find a Hugh Cecil Walker serving in WW1. There are quite a few Hugh Walker's in the Medal Card Index. But until we can establish what the cap badge is we are clutching at straws, so to speak.

It was not uncommon for Birmingham men to serve in various regiments all round the country. Born in 1881 he would have been 33/34 when WW1 started. So he may have been conscripted during later half of war when married men under a certain age were called up. And if that happened you had little choice of what regiment. You were sent were you where needed most.

If you know where he lived, howabout, checking the Absent Voters Book, for 1918. I am sure a forum member can do that

Terry

I have checked Ancestry and cannot find a Hugh Cecil Walker serving in WW1. There are quite a few Hugh Walker's in the Medal Card Index. But until we can establish what the cap badge is we are clutching at straws, so to speak.

It was not uncommon for Birmingham men to serve in various regiments all round the country. Born in 1881 he would have been 33/34 when WW1 started. So he may have been conscripted during later half of war when married men under a certain age were called up. And if that happened you had little choice of what regiment. You were sent were you where needed most.

If you know where he lived, howabout, checking the Absent Voters Book, for 1918. I am sure a forum member can do that

Terry
A lot of men were so keen to "get at the Hun" that they took any regiment that had spaces in their ranks.
My Great Uncle was in the DCLI when he died of wounds in France-and he was from Smethwick !

His brother,Ernest E Walker, living at 299 Summer Lane,with parents, was on absent voters list 1919
46485, CpL, 493 Field Co., R.E.
Marriages Jun 1915
Ernest E Walker married Edith S Dale Birmingham 6d 768

Lived at 178 Wilton Street Lozells in 1920
Applied for 1914-1915 Star 26/9/19

I have flipped the picture round, mirror image, type of thing, and it looks correct that way and zooming into the badge I would definitely say Hampshire Regiment. (the "Royal" title was not given until after WW1).

Terry

If it's any help my great uncle, born in Birmingham, started off in the 17th Btn Royal Warwickshire Regiment and transferred to the 1st garrison btn of the Hampshire Regiment. a friend who has a great interest in the Pals regiments thought the reason could have been that the 17th R Warks weren't seeing much action so he volunteered with the Hampshires. Just a thought of how Cecil came to be in the Hampshire Regiment. Gt Uncle George trained as an officer and moved on the 5th Btn South Staffs.

Hi Tery ,once again thanks for your efforts,I am convinced that the badge in Question is the Hampshires. As the photo shows there is no doubt that he was a serving soldier,more than likely a bandsman,His name by the way Was Cecil.Hugh.Walker. and acording to the photo,was a corporal.Both his G/children knew absolutely nothing about him Being in th army,and no idea where he had served,(This maybe ominous!!),it was never ever mentioned. My thanks too ,to Lady Linda,for putting me on the right track concerning the Photo.regards valbern1
P.S. the crickets on Telly.!!!

Hi Terry, found a little something on Ancestry,.C.Walker.Pte.no 10240 l.g.s.21-7-17 Vol30196 Page 7452. its all Gibberish to me you might make something of it,regards Valbern1

It is the "The Hampshires" cap badge definatly not "Royal Warwicks", leather waist belt would denote 1914 or 15, as the early pattern webbing belt came out in 1915.
paul

Back