• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unicorn Pub, Digbeth

KatieRex

Brummie babby
Hello everyone,
I am new to this and wonder if anyone can help me. I am researching family history and trying to find out about "The Unicorn pub" 447 High Street Deritend. My parents were the publicans for this pub (not sure for how long) but are on The Midlands electoral register 1950 at the Unicorn.
I would love to find a picture of the pub but any info would be appreciated
Katie

hello katie and welcome...cant say as i have heard of this pub...will have look for any photos of it and i am sure other members will also

lyn

Post 121 mentions the Unicorn.

Below a map shows the position of the Unicorn at 46 Digbeth in red. the 1949 &1950 Kellys (which would refer to 1948 and 1949) list landlord as William Thomas Sheppard. Although Digbeth, Bordesley High St and Deritend High St are listed separately, they are numbered together and often confused.

map c1950 showing position of unicorn pub.jpg

nice to have a map showing this pub mike but unfortunately i cant find any photos of it which is unusual considering it was still there in the 50s

lyn

Below a map shows the position of the Unicorn at 46 Digbeth in red. the 1949 &1950 Kellys (which would refer to 1948 and 1949) list landlord as William Thomas Sheppard. Although Digbeth, Bordesley High St and Deritend High St are listed separately, they are numbered together and often confused.

View attachment 138789
Thank you for the map and info. My father is William Thomas Shepherd and its great to see anything to do with him. Katie
nice to have a map showing this pub mike but unfortunately i cant find any photos of it which is unusual considering it was still there in the 50s

lyn
I have one photo showing the darts team inside the pub. It doesn't show a lot of the pubs detail, but a lovely thing to have.
If anyone is interested I will post it on the forum.
Katie

yes please katie would love to see that photo of darts team as it will add history to the pub and this thread..thanks

lyn

Katy to reduce pic size, right click on pic, select 'open with' select 'paint', press control and letter W together, you will see a box showing 100%, change to, say, 50% (its is trial and error). If I can do it anybody can. Eric

posting this lovely photo for katie of the darts team inside the unicorn pub...katie was this a ladies darts team..do you have a date for it and do you know any of the people in the photo...?

thanks katie a lovely addition to this thread

lyn
20191110_152108.jpg

Well, this thread is moving, slowly. We can all hope that a photo of the place will eventually be posted.
I notice the thread title mentions Deritend. But it appears to be more a Digbeth address. I know these two roads which are conjoined can often be confused.

Thank you for uploading the pic of the darts team Lyn.
The only date I have is 1950 when my parents were the publicans at the Unicorn pub. Unfortunately I dont know how long they were there so it could be a few years either way.
Yes I do recall my Mom saying it was the Ladies darts team. My Mom is Constance J Shepherd and can be seen in this picture, back row third from the Right and her Mother Nellie Luckett is back row fifth from the right. My Dad is not in this picture.
Thanks for sharing this little bit of Birmingham History special to me. Katie

its a pleasure to help katie...how lucky you are to have this photo showing your mom and your nan...now all we need is a photo of the pub....if you find anymore you want posting just send them to me...you have my email address now

lyn

its a pleasure to help katie...how lucky you are to have this photo showing your mom and your nan...now all we need is a photo of the pub....if you find anymore you want posting just send them to me...you have my email address now

lyn
Thank you Lyn

Back