• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

under the counter

dennis

master brummie
With our great government talking about hiding cigarettes under the counter,reminds me of when I first started to work during WW2,one of my jobs!! was to go all around Perry Barr trying to buy "fags" for the workers,
I would go from tobacconist's shop to another,and the "war cry" would be "sorry only Pasha or Turf" which were really disgusting,but occasionly up would come ten "Player's" from under the counter,sound familiar????

hi dennis my dad used to send me for cigarettes during the war sometimes i got 5 woodbines in a paper pkt other times it was "passing cloud" cigs what my dad said translates roughly inyo

he couldnt understand with all the restrictions ie rationing,tearing down metal railings for the war effort how on earth churchill could import
CAMELS from eygypt to use some part or other to make em:hoteyes::hoteyes::hoteyes:

33bus:)
tom

Back