• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Under Fire by John Leete

Radiorails

master brummie
I am not aware of firefighters, or retired firefighters, that subscribe to BHF but I know many here are interested in books and facts appertaining to WW2.

I happened to be browsing in a local towns library, whilst awaiting a family member arriving from abroad by train I saw this interesting book: with particular reference to Canadian firefighters who came to Britain to help during the Blitz.

It deals mainly with some of our large port and naval towns but Coventry and other Midland towns are mentioned. I can recommend it as a great book and don't think the ladies are excluded - there were many ladies in the Fire Services during the war period. In fact I know of two, now well into their late 80's, who served in the NFS. One was in Taunton, Somerset, and the other in South Devon. I guess many other Forum Members may know of these good people who served their country often in quite dangerous situations.

Back