• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uncle Wal in the Bren Carrier

doug1944

master brummie
View attachment 66141 Hi. This photo was amongst some family things that were passed on to me. The back of the photo is marked `Egypt 1946` and my Uncle Wal is the person on the right. What I don`t understand is that Uncle Wal was captured during the Korean War, so is it possible to be in Egypt in 1946, or is the back of the photo wrong ? There don`t seem to be any markings on the Bren Carrier. Please help.

View attachment 66141 Hi. This photo was amongst some family things that were passed on to me. The back of the photo is marked `Egypt 1946` and my Uncle Wal is the person on the right. What I don`t understand is that Uncle Wal was captured during the Korean War, so is it possible to be in Egypt in 1946, or is the back of the photo wrong ? There don`t seem to be any markings on the Bren Carrier. Please help.

Probably made in Argyle street Nechells https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences38staffshg.htm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISQa-Ok6FdM

Last edited:
I might be wrong but is uncle wal and mate looking out the back of that Bren gun carrier?

Last edited:
doug1944, The Korean war circa 1951 resulted in many WW2 Veteran Tradesmen being called up because they were on the Z Reserve which meant you could be called up in a time of National Security, although i was not Royal Artillery during WW2 i served 1947 to 1949, and was put on the Z Reserve as RA Gunfitter and completed an upgrading course at Weybourn Firing Camp, Norfolk, there were Sgt/Major & all Ranks Gunfitters. Len.

View attachment 66149Hi. I`m now very confused as Uncle Wal`s Bren Carrier is in fact a WWII Lloyd Universal Carrier (see photo from Google). Bren carriers seem to have a front mounted gun, and a different shape to the upper bodywork. I don`t know if this was left in Egypt in 1945, or whether it was American or British as there are no Regimental markings. Over to you please !

The photo is Lloyd Carrier, simpler form, although most versions have been known as Bren Gun carriers in generic terms.
The Lloyd Carriers were often used as Artillery towing vehicles for small Anti tank guns like the 6pdr, I believe.
Other versions were Scout carriers, with sloping rears.

Do you know Regiment Wal was in?

Back