• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uncle Norman Taplin.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
My uncle served in WW2 on a minesweeper and survived but he never talked about his experiences. My cousin has let me borrow a scrap book he kept of warships. The Navy was always in his blood and my nan kept his uniform for years in an old trunk that was almost as big as the box room it was in. Will put some of the scrapbook pictures on later. The picture on the left is Norman with my late cousin Arther and the other with my nan. Jean.

A couple of photo's from his scrap book. The first The Dreadnought class battleship HMS Warspite had a long career that took her from Jutland in 1916 to Salerno in 1943. She was badly damaged in both actions, in the latter by bombs. The other is the HMS Indomitable a battleship of the Invincible class. She fought in the Battle of the Dogger Bank and at Jutland. She also saw service in the Dardanelles. She was sold and broken up at Dover in 1921. If these are in the wrong place feel free to move them. Jean.

This is Norman after the birth of his first baby Jill with nan in their garden in Franchise street. Jean.

Back