• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unable to find

star43

master brummie
I have Thomas Philip Challinor born 1868 in Birmingham to Thomas Challinor and Mary Ann Jenkins. His mother died in 1870 and I have him in the 1871 census but then can't find him in either the 1881 or 1891 census. His father remarried in 1879 in Birmingham to Elizabeth Brown and he is not living with them in 1881. The next time he crops up is when he marries Emma/Emily Barker in 1895 in Birmingham. I am having the same problem with Emma/Emily Barker she seems to be missing from the same census'. Could anybody help me or make any suggestions as to where I might try next!!

Shera

true brummie
The nearest I can find for Thomas Challinor in 1891 is

Thomas Challoner b. 1871 in Birmingham. soldier at the Tower of London. Bit out on the year of birth though.

and a "possibility" for Emily/Emma Barker in 1881 is

Charles Barker 36, Emma Barker 37, GEORGE E. Barker 14, ELIZABETH Barker 9, EMMA Barker 5, William Barker 3, and Charles Barker.

The reason I thought this might be worth looking at is that the witnesses to the marriage of Thomas Challinor and Emily Barker, were George Edwin Barker and Elizabeth Barker and these could be wifes siblings. Fathers name was Charles on the certificate as well.

Last edited:

Ianmonger

master brummie
He is on the 1901 census married to EMILY with three children. Living in small Heath
Also on the 1911 Census married to EMMA with the same three children plus three more.
Living at 71 Dog Pool Lane Stirchley

Harry

star43

master brummie
Thank you for looking and for the information on Emma. It's difficult when they disappear off the radar for 30 years!!!