• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Umbrella makers - Factory Locations?

debbieironmonger

master brummie
Anyone heard of the umbrella manufacturers called Wright, Brindley & Gill? Ive just discovered on 1911 census that my ancestor was employed there as a Plater there. Any ideas where abouts this factory was? He lived in Golden Hillock Road at the time.

From Kellys

1882 -1884 Bindley&Gell Ltd, Umbella furniture manufs, Newhall Hill & Scotland St

1888 - 1899 Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & stretcher manufs, Chester St

1900 - 1903 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St

1904 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St; Allison St; 35 Corporation St & Salop Works, Salop St, Highgate Park

1908 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St; Allison St & Percy Road

1910 - 1921 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St; Allison St.

1932 Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib, tube rib, bottle screwed metal top manufs, Chester St and Percy Road

They later went on to manufacture many other metal items in Percy Road

From Kellys

1882 -1884 Bindley&Gell Ltd, Umbella furniture manufs, Newhall Hill & Scotland St

1888 - 1899 Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & stretcher manufs, Chester St

1900 - 1903 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St

1904 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St; Allison St; 35 Corporation St & Salop Works, Salop St, Highgate Park

1908 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St; Allison St & Percy Road

1910 - 1921 Wright Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib & furniture manufs, Chester St; Allison St.

1932 Bindley & Gell Ltd, Umbella rib, tube rib, bottle screwed metal top manufs, Chester St and Percy Road

They later went on to manufacture many other metal items in Percy Road
Wow mike this is useful information for my family tree, my great grandfathers aunt Mary Clarke was an umbrella riveter in 1891 according to the census

Mary Clarke lived on Mill Street at the time a short walk from Chester Street so my assumption is she worked for Wright Bindley and Gell. Thank you so much mike information much appreciated.

Hi, my grandmother Elizabeth Roberts worked at an umbrella factory in central Birmingham during the Second World War and mentioned stories of the workers coming home every time a bomb warning sounded during 1940, I believe. She would have been 18 years old at the time. I don't recall the name of it, but wonder if this one still existed at that time although I assume there were more than one in Birmingham at the time. Anyone have any info on umbrella factories during the late 1930s / early 1940s? Thanks.

The number had reduced by the time of the 1940 Kelklys, which probably referred to 1939

umrella manufacturers 1940 Kellys.jpg

Back