• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ub40

Brummygirl66

master brummie
I know I'm younger than some of you, but couldn't find a thread on this brilliant band.

I've been a fan since "Food for Thought" came out in 1980, and first saw them in concert in 1981, my first ever concert!

I remember having some money for Christmas off a relative in 1980 and racing down to the record shop on Sandon Road in Bearwood ( does anyone else who lived in Bearwood remember it?) and buying the cassette tape of Signing Off their first album and playing it until it wore out! I now have it on CD and love to play it loud when I am at home alone!
I even managed to get my husband to like them! (He prefers heavy rock and likes Black Sabbath!)

I worked for Dep there record label in the 80s it was in Digbeth
later I was working at there club UBS ex Fannys
it was my first job I had after leaving Army and last job in Brum
Happy days

UB40 members Ali Campbell, Earl Falconer & Jimmy Brown, all went to my school, Moseley School of Art. But not at the same time...I really like their music, at least their earlier stuff.

Dave A

I know I'm younger than some of you, but couldn't find a thread on this brilliant band.

I've been a fan since "Food for Thought" came out in 1980, and first saw them in concert in 1981, my first ever concert!

I remember having some money for Christmas off a relative in 1980 and racing down to the record shop on Sandon Road in Bearwood ( does anyone else who lived in Bearwood remember it?) and buying the cassette tape of Signing Off their first album and playing it until it wore out! I now have it on CD and love to play it loud when I am at home alone!
I even managed to get my husband to like them! (He prefers heavy rock and likes Black Sabbath!)

Yea. I remember the shop but can't remember it's nam, can you? If I remember correctly it was close to the crossroads a few shops along on the right.

In the early 80s I worked for the Post Office on Parcel sorting.While doing the sorting I on overtime at Curzon we saw big bright lights under the arches through the windows and could hear music.In our lunch hour we went round and it was UB40 making a Video.Ally Cambell came over to us to say hello and asked if we would like a coffee and got one of the assistants to make us a mug each.We stood for an hour and watched them sing and make the video and get their autographs.Good times

My only claim to fame about UB40 was being in a shop in the jewellry quarter , when Robin Campbell came in , he was after a gold toothpick for Astro , talking of Astro I worked in Henrietta St Astro back in the 80/90's happened by accident to drive his car into the corner of the building we occupied

Back