• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyseley

Tyseley Post Office c1903. Seen many photos of post offices which were part of a shop (Wm C M Cheane).This one has a good sized clock and post box as part of the building. I expect the original shop was adapted to accommodate a Post Office. Viv.

8A150DE7-E506-41F4-A014-AE1773B4269B.jpeg

Viv.
Cannot find a William Cheane in Kellys. Tried Ancestry for the name in 1900 and the site must be playing up, as I could not find any William Cheane anywhere in the county and only 7 Cheanes, all in Londin

The only ones on FMP are an 1621 Marriage in Radley, Berkshire, and a William McCheane, who was surgeon on the 1881 Census in Everton (Liverpool), born 1821, living with his sister and two female servants.

Maurice :cool:

if you look to the side of the large letter M can just see the bottom of small letter C so i think this is william c mc cheane as in the rates book for birmingham 1886 owner of house shop...unusual middle name of croywin...pity the rate books do not give addresses but i think this could be him..looks like by 1891 he is living in derbyshire with wife and children and living on his own account

40460_b0146213-00106.jpg

Last edited:
if you look to the side of the large letter M can just see the bottom of small letter C so i think this is william c mc cheane as in the rates book for birmingham 1886 owner of house shop...unusual middle name of croywin...pity the rate books do not give addresses but i think this could be him..looks like by 1891 he is living in derbyshire with wife and children and living on his own account

View attachment 150998

In June 1901 there are premises sold in Matlock occupied by a Wm McCheane. A double fronted Copyhold shop.

Selly Oak, King’s Heath and Tyseley, close to each other...

Last edited:
That’s great thanks all. Good investigative work ! Would never have guessed there was a ‘Mc’ in the name, but it makes complete sense. The postcard is date stamped 1903, but of course this can, by no means, be an accurate date for the photo.

Looks like a very well organised shop. I like the three gas light fittings, presumably sitting on the gas pipe which supplies them.

Pity we can’t pinpoint where in Tyseley. Could it be the Coventry Road ? Or Warwick Road ? Imagine it was probably on a main road. Viv.

Probably born in Scotland then, as that would account for no birth or marriage showing in FMP or Ancestry. Well spotted, Lyn.

maurice if the one in derby on the 1891 is our man and with a middle name of croywin i think he has to be then he was born in birmingham 1841..i also have his bapt record at st philips.. here is the 1891 for him in derby and his bapt

DBYRG12_2744_2747-0454 (1).jpg40458_316900-00151.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn,

Possibly an anomaly in the FMP search engine - I didn't allow variants as that produced 2,400 entries. Possibly the same with Mike's search on Ancestry too. Yet it threw up a William McCheane on the 1881 Census, but not on any subequent ones. But it was a quick search! :)

View attachment 150998
Very Well spotted. In the 1903 Kellys there is the following item (no numbering):

McCheane William Cronyn, grocer, Warwick road, Tyseley, Acock's Green.
The street listing is as follows:

ScreenHunter 2183.jpg
However , comparing the position it must be one of the buildings in red on the c1903 map (position of Tyseley hill house added from c1890 map)

map c1903 wrwick road around tyseley hill road.jpg

Unless numbering has altered, this corresponds to one of 752-756

map c1950 wrwick road around tyseley hill road.jpg

It is possible thta post office moved to no 795 later

In addition, in the 1904 Kellys (probably referring to 1903), the shop is listed as Arthur John Smith,. grocer and post office. McCheane is not listed in the 1899 or 1900 Kellys, and there is no grocers listed in the street listing at that position. So it looks as if he was not there very long

Is it pure coincidence that he's next door to a clock case maker ?

Next door (to the right) looks like it might be residential property - it has a bay window. I realise this doesn’t rule out retail of course. I can’t be sure. There’s an Edwardian post box in the wall. The post box may have been there before the Post Office. The shop was more likely to have been a grocery provisions shop before it was a combined Post Office.

To the left looks possibly residential too - you can see a low wall with a wrought iron fence on top, the sort of boundary to a garden. So the shop looks set back from this. Maybe it (the PO/grocery store) was originally residential.

There is no matching cornice with that shown on top of the pillar (left) with nothing on the other side (right). So there’s have possibly been adaptations to the frontage.

There are a few McCheanes around the Kings Heath, Selly Oak area. There’s W C McCheane who was in business (bakers and grocers) with D Ray (as Daniel Ray & Co) in Northfield (Jan 1900). There’s also an N.C McChean selling chicory coffee in Kings Heath in 1880. All in a similar line of business. Quite possibly the same family. Viv.

Last edited:
I think I might have found it at 744 Warwick Road. Streetview shows a Citizens Advice Bureau there (744 - 746). There’s some cornicing just visible. Same as in the PO photo. It seems to fit the footprint of Mikes second map in post #14. Our PO has no fence (dotted boundary line on map) whereas the others in that row have a defined boundary. Still the same today !

703469FE-F00B-4243-B7B4-DB87A6251F8B.jpeg
C1E4357B-A9A1-4A06-8E04-576CF5CA9E43.jpeg
CF236074-43A7-452F-B92F-01C091B2EC9A.jpeg

Viv.

Last edited:
thanks mike looking at the original photo i think the shop could still be there...note the ornate scrolling on the top left in original photo and todays street view...as we would expect and if it is the same building there are lots of changes...edit post..... never noticed your post viv but it seems we both agree the building is still there

Last edited:
Back