• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyseley War damage.

robert

master brummie
Cromwell could you give me any information on the damage inflicted by air raids on Tyesely during WW2

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tyesely damage.

Robert I cannot as all the info I have ends from Olton Boulevard East then straight up North (on a map)
Thats were my research stops

tyseley

where i used to work in tyseley lane had huge cellar which i believe was used as a shelter ww2

Re: Tyesely damage.

WE lived in Blytheswood Road in Tyseley. On the night of the raid (cannot remember the dates) my mother, sister and I were visiting my auntie in Yardley Wood. As we were about to leave at about 5pm, the air raid sirens sounded, so my Auntie suggested that we stay there for the night. We moved in under the stairs. No air raid shelter. The night was pretty horrendous. We heard the whistling of the bombs, the explosions, ack ack gunfire etc, but we safely saw the night out. The next morning we caught the 13a bus back to Stoney Lane, then the 44 bus to Tyseley. Fantastic that the bus services were still operating. Walking down Blytheswood Road, the first few houses were OK, but as we walked further down, there were people with broken windows, then broken windows and doors, the further damage, and it got worse until we reached our home at 123. The roof was missing, and you could see the sky through the sitting room ceiling> almost everything else had been blown into the garden. It was a land mine, and our end of the road caught the real blast

That must have been very scary to come home to find your house in that state.In the late 40s i lived in arthur terrace off arthur road Hay Mills which is just down the road from Tyseley. There was a bomb site in the road i think three or four houses had been hit and i wonder if this happened in the same raid? I remember when i was very young that we used the bomb site as a play ground.

We lived in Allcroft Rd and on the night of the raid we were in the shelter under The Midland Gearcase when the bombs came and the factory gas and water pipes were fractured and we had to leave the shelter. I was taken by the teenage daughter of a neighbour and we ran along the gully at the back of Allcroft Rd to escape- my mother got left behind for several hours and our family came to the Midland Gear when it became light looking for us and thinking we had been killed. Our house was next to the factory and was badly damaged. I was evacuated to Burford shortly after that awful night. I can still remember that night vividly with bombs dropping - fires lighting up the sky and planes overhead. My father lay under his lorry outside Cox's shop with another man who lost his arm in an explosion that night.

Welcome to the Forum, PatHayward, and thanks for an excellent first contribution describing events now almost impossible to imagine.

Chris

Hello Pat. Very interested to read your story of bomb damage to your house in Allcroft Road. Did the house get repaired and did you manage to go back and live there? I went to York Road infant/junior school on the corner of York Road and Russell Road, which was quite near to Allcroft Road. Dave.

I lived in Cranmore Boulevard in Shirley during the war, so suffered little from the bombing, but in November 1940 a stray bomb landed opposite us in Clinton road completely destroying that house, our house and others was damaged by blast and unfit to live in , roof tiles missing and most windows gone and other minor damage. I was 10 at the time and was crouched under our Morrison shelter (a large steel table which replaced your normal dining table) with my Mom, Dad and 2 sisters and Spot the dog. Because of a shortage of both man power and materials it took 4 weeks to make the house habitable, those 4 weeks were spent in a Romany caravan in a farm in Earlswood. Incidently we never missed one days school. Eric

farmer
save - I'm very new to this and I've only just picked up your comments about Allcroft Rd. Although I was then evacuated to Burford the house did get repaired and we moved back the following year - strangely enough a German plane crashed
into the field opposite where we stayed and the pilot was killed so we never got away from the bombing. My nans house in
Percy Road was badly damaged and I remember looking up the stairs and saw the sky - the roof had gone and on the corner of Percy Rd and Formans Road there wad a huge bomb crater.
Pat Hayward

I lived in Tyseley 1940-1948, a bit too young to have war time memories, but with it being 70 years since VE day I have been looking through the old photo box. Did other families have evacuees from the London area towards the end of the war? We had a girl, Jean Baker from Essex, live with us in 1945, and the family next door, the Robson's had a couple of brothers. I found this picture of a street party, clearly in Linton Road off Tyseley Lane, but can't recognise anyone, not even myself. Could be VE day of even VJ day, not sure. Signs of a potential bonfire in the back ground, wonder what it did to the tarmac? The other picture is of Jean and myself obviously dressed for some event probably VE day.3b pictures037.jpgStreet Party 2034.jpg

Great images, Devonjim. Look at the table decorations. And the lad correctly dressed in a tie!

When do lupins bloom in Tyseley? Is the second half of August more likely than early May?

Chris

Back