• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Typhoo Tea Factory plans

How weird - this us what I'm getting. Maybe I've got a setting that blocks it. Not very good with this techie stuff. But the main thing is others can read it as I can do a search again to go back to the page I originally looked at. Viv..

View attachment 93483

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aha, Geronimo! After twiddling (a scientific term!) with a few buttons I then decided to open BHF in Safari and now I can read it. Must remember to do that as I've had this problem with B'Ham City Council pages before. Viv.

The 2008 Warwick Bar Plan tells us that the Typhoo Building is a locally listed grade 'C' building. It's not protected to the extent of a statutory listing, but the council gives guidance on any changes to locally listed buildings. It doesn't offer much protection, but at least it's recognised as a valuable piece of industrial archaeology. Viv.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/locallist

Hi Mike and viv
Many thanks for putting the maps on for us what year was that map printed ,can you say
Also viv,lam trying to find the lard producers on there postion on the map as you know hide and skin was on the new canal street
Area yards from the coffee shop on the very corner of new canal street which is listed as number 1 , new annal street ,
And on the very corner of bordesly street ,well coming out of the hide and skinn yard gates turn left and walk towards. Bordesly street
And out side by the way there was a red fire stand right against the house front door which was just before the corner shop doors
Where you smashed the glass and use that little hammer inside the fire stand to central fire station as it was then
This was very early 1952.3 on the opersite side of the corners was a very small garage with two little old fashioned pumps
I do not whom the fa oily whom owned it as I say its on the opersite the coffee house on bordesly rd. Corner
Walk down bordesly rd. From the garage there was another busskness right next door to it which later in hears after my grand father left the shop this one open end up ASD a coffee shop but a couple of does from that that's where the lard factory was
On the first map you have shown on the bordesly rd there is a little white patch I presume that could have been the little garage then
And a couple of those grey patches would have been this building the lard producers I wonder if mike can get an election roll
For the names of that top end of bordesly street as I said it was facing typhoon if it was barn street facing then it was also on that corner around the block as well
I know typhoon did a big square went down the street and around the corner as well
Many thanks to you both Alan,, astonian,,,,

Alan
looking at the 1950 Kellys , on the south side of Bordesley St was Shrebe Lts, suet manufacturers. The only garage listed that wasn.t a firm's garage for its vehicles seems to be The Bordesley St Garage.

Hi mike good morning to you
Once again I have to say thank you to you for looking up my request I asked for, and regarding the garage I never thought it was a
Company more than a private enterprise because it was only a small little fore court consisting of a little wooden hut
And two very old and original rounded petrol pumps one for petrol the other pump was for paraffin and there used to a little old man
And a young boy always serving and they had one of those city vans to come in and go home in
Thanks again mike have a nice day best wishes as always ,Alan,,astonian,,,,,,,,

Hi viv
Hope you are having a wonderful day and many thanks for sending thou,s picture of the. Typhoo
I just cannot believe how its all change it terrible can you tell me are the railway bridges along the rd of new canal street and meridian
Street its where they kept the pigs and cattle in those arches over night before walking down to the Nide and skin
The transport drivers would drop off the cattle there and come and stay over night at the b,and b,at the coffee shop
Every Sunday I would.d get the 39 bus to dale end get off at Henrys and skip down the alley and ghetto name and grand dads
And I would take the dog for a walk all around the streets and fazely street and look into the canal and the bond ware house storage area
Of the canal old Higgins cafe was on the other corner but always closed on Sundays grand dads was the only one open around there
When they brought the cattle down at different times in the day some times they would comes a.ki gcown twice a day
They was spread all over the rd and strolling along the pavement is the spotted dog still there on the corner
There used to be a pub on the corner called the ship I think it was it closed down in the fifty and. Ever open end up again
And it became a shoe warehouse right up today's and a.ongvrom the traffic .light of fazely street there used to Bea boxers club
Upstairs called the cauliflower club it belong to the board of boxers association
And many time from marks and spencers we would was.k through an alley way which we would walk down the old crooked lane
Then there was a little hut with a steel gate on which was used for toilets but way back in time it was used by the police
In the 1800 early 1900 as a police cell we used to pass this and walk down back to there home and the coffee shop
Where her parents still lived there u til she died in 1953 and nestzyed there until 69 they wasthdfe from 1930; s
And in thlkse days you would see a soul on a y of them streets around new canal streetnlr the xurrlu ding street and no traffic
Not like today best wishes viv and once again thank you for the pictures. Alan,,,,astonian,,,,,,

Hi Alan. Don't know about the pub but the railway bridge arches all look pretty well intact. View attachment 93504 Interesting that the animals were kept there overnight.

Makes you realise what an excellent position the Typhoo factory was in, between the canal and two railway links. No wonder the factory was hit in WW2. I expect the Luftwaffe were aiming for the tracks (but maybe they also knew how much the British love their tea. - unknowingly they must have caused big dent in morale!!!) Here's a nice link to Hilda Day's wartime memories of working at Typhoo. If you haven't already seen it you might enjoy reading. Viv.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/40/a5257640.shtml

Hi viv,
Many thanks for down loading carols story I enjoyed reading that as I have never seen that before
And yes the arches look good nick yes the cattle drovers would come to Birmingham market and sell there cattle of pigs
For the slaughter for the hide and skinns they was pongie archives when you walked under the bridge
And some time late in the day on Saturdays or late on Sunday afternoons you strolled under the bridges you would smell the stench
But they always brought them down from there on a Sunday morning or lunch time latest but I will say I have seen them walking down about 2/3 in
The afternnons I think now they have devided these,s. Arches into seperate sections now as before there was only to sets
Of big high gates fixed to the walls as gates I have passed them in time gone bye when the cattle have been
They was white spacious and go right back easily held a couple of hundred cows, or pigs in there and it was dark no lights
And dirty mud and muck just .like a farm yard many thanks again viv. Alan,,,,,,,,astonian,,,,,,

The link posted by Mike (post 32) shows a derelict, probably dangerous building. It looks a likely candidate for demolition.
The link - and probably others similar to it - only draw attention to it state. A Mail report of 2016 suggested a large grant had been made for its conversion to a campus. Redbrick Universities are finding life somewhat different these days so maybe the plans are on hold, that might give rise that the place could be considered for demolition.

If you've got access to post on the above site, the only access to the basement is via the lift at the front (bordesley st) side of the building. It did tend to flood in heavy rain and all that was down there was a strongroom with a fullsize vault door.
What you're likely to be seeing is only half of the old Typhoo Building. The other half has been in use more recently. It was supposedly London School of Science and Technology according to the signs but seems to have become Milson Holdings. I don't know whether either of these have done much with the building. Before that it was used as storage for Latif's warehouse on Meriden St. The dilapidated half was abandoned in 2001 and, as far as I know, no-one has been inside since.

Another recent visit to the factory:

I will mention this to my birth mother when we next speak. I think it was her first full time job. The loose tea came down a shoot and she pulled a lever which shot the required amount in to each packet which then went down the line to someone else. She was either chattering or away with the fairies, and lost concentration and the packets went one way, the tea the other and she was sacked.

Another recent visit to the factory:

One mistake in the text beneath the page. S Rose closed in April 2001 not the late 00s.

i sure do remember roses taking over the old place. i parked my truck in there car park,for a small fee off. One night i had a late call out. i opened the gates and was half way to my truck,when 2 dogs ran across one bit me breaking my elbow, i shouted more than oo.:mad: they belonged to the pub across the rd.

i sure do remember roses taking over the old place. i parked my truck in there car park,for a small fee off. One night i had a late call out. i opened the gates and was half way to my truck,when 2 dogs ran across one bit me breaking my elbow, i shouted more than oo.:mad: they belonged to the pub across the rd.
I don't remember Rose's charging for car parking although a lot of things went on with the new mangement at the end of the 90s that I didn't necessarily know about. I know that Latif's used to charge for parking when they took over the car park at the end (2001).

The BBC plans to move it's headquarters in Birmingham in 2026
https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2022/broadcast-centre-birmingham
They will only be using half of the building (the part that was formerly S Rose & Co) and the Business School in the other half will stay where it is.
That was the plan a couple of months ago and they held a consultation event out at the back. I went along and did leave some contact detail but I've heard nothing since. apparently I did tell the people something they didn't already know (there was a basement) but I don't know if that changed anything.
Someone seems to have added a lot of material to the car park at the back of the building. The ground floor at that end is all but buried and they were planning to use it as an underground car park.

Back