• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Typhoo Tea Factory plans

The link posted by Mike (post 32) shows a derelict, probably dangerous building. It looks a likely candidate for demolition.
The link - and probably others similar to it - only draw attention to it state. A Mail report of 2016 suggested a large grant had been made for its conversion to a campus. Redbrick Universities are finding life somewhat different these days so maybe the plans are on hold, that might give rise that the place could be considered for demolition.

If you've got access to post on the above site, the only access to the basement is via the lift at the front (bordesley st) side of the building. It did tend to flood in heavy rain and all that was down there was a strongroom with a fullsize vault door.
What you're likely to be seeing is only half of the old Typhoo Building. The other half has been in use more recently. It was supposedly London School of Science and Technology according to the signs but seems to have become Milson Holdings. I don't know whether either of these have done much with the building. Before that it was used as storage for Latif's warehouse on Meriden St. The dilapidated half was abandoned in 2001 and, as far as I know, no-one has been inside since.

Another recent visit to the factory:

I will mention this to my birth mother when we next speak. I think it was her first full time job. The loose tea came down a shoot and she pulled a lever which shot the required amount in to each packet which then went down the line to someone else. She was either chattering or away with the fairies, and lost concentration and the packets went one way, the tea the other and she was sacked.

Another recent visit to the factory:

One mistake in the text beneath the page. S Rose closed in April 2001 not the late 00s.

i sure do remember roses taking over the old place. i parked my truck in there car park,for a small fee off. One night i had a late call out. i opened the gates and was half way to my truck,when 2 dogs ran across one bit me breaking my elbow, i shouted more than oo.:mad: they belonged to the pub across the rd.

i sure do remember roses taking over the old place. i parked my truck in there car park,for a small fee off. One night i had a late call out. i opened the gates and was half way to my truck,when 2 dogs ran across one bit me breaking my elbow, i shouted more than oo.:mad: they belonged to the pub across the rd.
I don't remember Rose's charging for car parking although a lot of things went on with the new mangement at the end of the 90s that I didn't necessarily know about. I know that Latif's used to charge for parking when they took over the car park at the end (2001).

The BBC plans to move it's headquarters in Birmingham in 2026
https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2022/broadcast-centre-birmingham
They will only be using half of the building (the part that was formerly S Rose & Co) and the Business School in the other half will stay where it is.
That was the plan a couple of months ago and they held a consultation event out at the back. I went along and did leave some contact detail but I've heard nothing since. apparently I did tell the people something they didn't already know (there was a basement) but I don't know if that changed anything.
Someone seems to have added a lot of material to the car park at the back of the building. The ground floor at that end is all but buried and they were planning to use it as an underground car park.

“The Canal Wharf known as either Bangor Wharf or Bordesley Street Wharf had previously housed Knight and Gossling, timber merchants in the 1860s, ten coal merchants, as well as Robert Beddell, Agent and Machine Clerk to the Birmingham Canal Company until the late 1880s. His successor, Henry Hewlett, and four remaining coal merchants were there in 1924 when 'Typhoo' possessed the building vacated by Tailby & Co.”

(The Story of Typhoo)

oo that is good news. i hope they dont change the style too much with lots of glass that the beeb seem to like.
As I remember the plans, the shell of the building will stay as it is although I think the back of the building on the ground floor is currently under ground. The rest is likely to be demolished and rebuilt to create something more open plan. From the look of the pictures, they plan on putting windows in rather than walls at the front - the brick wall that covered most of the ground floor is now glass as are the old loading bay shutters.

IMG_2784.jpeg

In 1914 'Typhoo' put into their packets coloured cards of British birds and their eggs for customers to collect. There were twenty-four cards altogether, each card depicting a different bird. Cards for collecting in sets proved very popular and were included in the packets for many years.

(The story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Williams, Ken.)

IMG_2786.jpeg

“13 March 1924 shows that an order had been placed for 10½ million insert cards on the theme of Ancient & Annual Customs. Also printed in 1924 for insertion were Aesop's Fables cards - coloured picture cards in a series of twenty-five which were keenly collected by users of 'Typhoo' tea. The following years saw numerous series of cards produced and many promotions launched.”

S Rose's Lionel Street place was destroyed by the fire. It was arson. A disgruntled ex-employee had broken in inteding to steal stuff and had lit something to use as a torch for light. As it was a clothing warehouse that's probably an old jacket or something similar. You can guess the rest.
S Rose had other units around that area and managed to maintain the business there for a while as the old Typhoo place was being redone. I remember there were large holes in the floor on the first floor where some kind of hopper had fed into something on the lower floor. I don't think the whole building ever employed 300 staff.
I don't know who bought the place but I got the impression that at least part of the building is currently on a long lease rather than owned by any of the occupiers.

Back