• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyn y Coed Convalescent Home

craiguito

master brummie
I know my great great grandfather John Price Litherland was in the Tyn y Coed convalescent home in Wales when the 1901 census was taken. Does anyone know if it would be possible to find out the nature and duration of his stay? Are archives of residents kept?

Craig

Tyn-y Coed in LLandudno, was the first convalescent home of the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund (BHSF), although the home has closed the BHSF still continues today, not sure how much information you may be able to get from them, but it may be worth contacting them.

Colin

Hi - I'm also looking for information on Tyn-y-Coed. My great-grandfather was there in 1908 - possibly with TB? - and I have a similar postcard to the one above, that he sent to his fiancee. I was just wondering if Craig had managed to find anything out?
Kate

hi malcenny
please for give me for butting in on this one but correctly i will stand if i have got it wrong
but breifly to me i think you can find out about this place on the internet and if i have not got it confused with another place my great grand father
george william jelf was head of this convelessant or the founder of that resort
its either the named place you tap in or his name and you will learn more about it the converslessant
i will try and do a quick research myself as he was the top man of the unions in those days i dont really want to go on about him of whom and what he stood for
but i am sure its the home you mentioned
best wishes astonion

Hello everyone. i have not been on site for a year but some how I found this discusion. The name rang a bell. Tyn-y-Coed. being involved with my families history 'tree', i recalled that my dad had stayed in a large 'house' in wales when i was a kid just after ww2. Then i found the photograph--a group shot ( including my dad) taken in front of the main entrance, everyone smartly dressed-( all male of course). with the name -Tyn-y-Coed stamped on the top. I've just clicked on the link provided, and read up the whole history--excellent. What publicly minded philanthropists those guys were, the beginnings of the welfare state in fact. Well thats a bit more for my family archive--thanks. Just one small prob, i can't get the adobe printer to issue selected print pages , its all random. never mind. golightly.

High Pastures.jpg

Was this, High Pastures Convalescent Home, Deganwy, one of the BHSF places?
A great-aunt was there in the late 1940s, and this post card was among her things. Somewhere there's a photo of the staff as well. The place is now a residential home for 'the elderly.'
I'll look at the company history.

maria

Hi maria
Just picked up on your thread about convalesenting in wales the place is you are on bout is tynycoed
Was the first home ever made and the founder member and head of that place was my uncle and my grand fathers son George held
Whom sadly died about 12 months ago aged 99 years old and just two weeks away from is 100 the birthday
There is a lot to be said about him good and bad by people whom remember him
If you tapp into George held on Google you would be amazed what you read about him
Not just about the convalesce ts home but a lot more on him what he stood for and also what he done for certain people in brum
You can get is life story on there and the history of convakences and a picture of him in his younger days
Press cutting and from my other cousin Jane whom furbished the extract of him and his life some years ago I put an input as well
You will get the whole Hogg of him from hopis early days on how and Stevenson set up the book shop in mosekly village in the very early days
And how they got involved within the council of yesteryears
He comes from a line of the coffee kings of Birmingham but sadly georgebroke away and went to Canada and came back as a commieyou may not know the line of generations of the blood line of the jelfs but they was of making in Birmingham from the pure war years up until about the fifty
They was of the society people ivy and George was the last remainders of the held empire to survive
George did start off in engineering in his young days a tool maker and went through the ranks to power house
Well I will not bore you further on this but I felt I had to impose in your thread as I am proud of another held doing good in this country
We have one remaking held whom is of age and he his a big noise in oxford council in London he started is life at the king Edwards school in Birmingham
He is getting on now I have s
Token to him by phone and he his intrestrd in joint this forum best wishes astonian,,,,name Raymond held of oxford counciill

Just got this reply from the Llandudno and Conway Facebook group about Edwin Artiss of 4 Raddlebarn Rd's death, might be of interest.
Adrian Hughes Admin
I did a guided walk around that area a couple of years ago and told this story. The shaft doesn’t seem to be marked on the map but it is close to the water tower behind Gloddaeth Hall (now known as St David’s College). The school uses the shaft for potholing practice. This was the story as I researched it:
“When Llandudno got mains water in the 1870s, the well was no longer used and covered over but not sealed. In 1922, 6 boys were playing in the old well and had descended down it on ropes. In the water they came across a floating object that turned out to be the badly decomposing body of a man. Naturally, the kids hastened out of the well as quickly as they could and alerted the police who removed the body. His clothes had disintegrated to pulp and he was beyond all recognition.
The police had a real mystery on their hands and at first thought it might be that of a Welsh minister who disappeared and was last seen in Gloddaeth Woods. However, the body was later identified as that of Edwin Artiss of Birmingham who disappeared in 1917 while staying at the Tyn y Coed convalescent home. Although how he ended up down the well was never established.”

1685114897972.png
Built in 1878 for Mr Davis, a Liverpool timber merchant. It was purchased in 1891 by the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund and opened as a male convalescent home in 1892, in which form it is shown on the 1900 Ordnance Survey. Extensions were made in 1899 and 1927. Early photographs indicate that in 1899 the building was extended on the L side of the front, followed in 1927 by further extension to the L end as well as additions to the R end. In 1971 the building opened as the Harriet Robertson Research Institute, housing offices, laboratories and library, subsequent to which further additions were made to the rear.

An Edwin Artiss aged 52 death was registered 2nd quarter 1922, Conway (vol 11b page 637a). The 1911 census shows him at 4 Raddlebarn Road with wife Annie (or Ann in the Dec 1886 marriage record) with nine of their ten children. He had been a Foreman Copper & Brass Caster, perhaps he had been worried that whatever injury he was recovering from would prevent him from proving for the large family, although some of his children worked at either the copper works or a chocolate factory (doubtless Cadbury's). The family were still at the address in 1930.

Just got this reply from the Llandudno and Conway Facebook group about Edwin Artiss of 4 Raddlebarn Rd's death, might be of interest.
Adrian Hughes Admin
I did a guided walk around that area a couple of years ago and told this story. The shaft doesn’t seem to be marked on the map but it is close to the water tower behind Gloddaeth Hall (now known as St David’s College). The school uses the shaft for potholing practice. This was the story as I researched it:
“When Llandudno got mains water in the 1870s, the well was no longer used and covered over but not sealed. In 1922, 6 boys were playing in the old well and had descended down it on ropes. In the water they came across a floating object that turned out to be the badly decomposing body of a man. Naturally, the kids hastened out of the well as quickly as they could and alerted the police who removed the body. His clothes had disintegrated to pulp and he was beyond all recognition.
The police had a real mystery on their hands and at first thought it might be that of a Welsh minister who disappeared and was last seen in Gloddaeth Woods. However, the body was later identified as that of Edwin Artiss of Birmingham who disappeared in 1917 while staying at the Tyn y Coed convalescent home. Although how he ended up down the well was never established.”

A puzzle.

In Mike's post it refers to Edwin Artisss of 4 Raddlebarn Road. In the Hull Daily Post of 1922 it gives the address as Paddleham Road, but probably a mistake.

However in the 1911 Census Edwin appears at 71 Lottie Rd. Selly Oak aged 31. In the census of 1901 he was at 62 Lottie Road.

Now from the Warwickshire Herald in 1895 there is a report on a suicice of an Edwin Artiss (62) of Lottie Road.

Back