• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tyers

theodore

master brummie
Looking for the name Tyers , Alfred living at 76 Benacre Street, Birmingham (late 1919 early 1920's). Married and child/children but believe child/children sent to Canada (1921?). Any help would most appreciated. Electoral register info or any other help would be most appreciated.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Theodore,

The last Alfred Tyers to appear on the Birmingham Electoral Rolls was in 1931. In the 1911 Census there is one in Witton Street, Aston and two in Smethwick. Have you got an approximate date of birth or any other info that would enable to narrow it down?

Maurice :cool:

There's an Alfred Tyers who marries a Lucy Piper, registered Bromsgrove 1906. He was possibly born 1882 in Bromsgove, she 1887 in Worcester.

In 1911 they appear to be in Dublin.

Children Mary Elizabeth (b1906 Bromsgrove), Emily/Beatrice (b1909 Dublin), Henry (b1914 Birmingham), Violet Rose (b & d 1916 Droitwich & Worcester)

There are 2 boys (all I have spotted so far) both from Fr Hudson's homes in Coleshill listed as going to Canada:
In 1921 Henry aged abt 8 and in 1922 Alfred aged abt 12

Thanks to info from MWS also found an Emily sent from same Homes in 1924.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There is an Alfred born in Dublin 1912.

Mary Elizabeth appears to remain in Bham. In 1939 she is living at 21 Woodhouse Road, marries an Alfons Persoons in 1956, dying in 2000.

The dates might fit with the Alfred at Rowton House. Explains children in Fr Hudson's Homes. Question is what about Lucy?

There's an Alfred Tyers still at Rowton House (145) on 1939 ER but not one on 1939 Register. There is however a Joseph A Tyers listed at 145 12 Alcester Street which is the same place but not one on 1939 ER.

Age on 1939 Registers is 57.

He is registered as Alfred Joseph on his marriage to Lucy.

Last edited:
The dates might fit with the Alfred at Rowton House. Explains children in Fr Hudson's Homes. Question is what about Lucy?

I thought she might have died in Ireland but can't see anything. Perhaps she went off with someone else.

Alfred James Tyers, son of Alfred & Lucy was killed in Italy in WW2. He was a Trooper in the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards.

Thank you both for this info. I believe the Rowton House Alfred to be the right man. I had found the marriage to Lucy in 1906 and the info regards Henry being sent to Canada but I'm trying to tie up all these loose ends so this posting. All the other info regards the children is new to me so again thanks. Information I do have would confirm the Alfred at Rowton House (address and year of birth). But I also have the 67 Benacre street address I was hoping an electoral register could confirm. I found no record for Alfred and Lucy on the 1911 census on Ancestry. Still searching.

Regards

Peter

[QUOTE="theodore, post: 693755,
But I also have the 67 Benacre street address I was hoping an electoral register could confirm.

Regards

Peter
[/QUOTE]
In post #1 you put 76 and I checked that on the e roll. Is it 67 or 76?

I have checked again:
1918 absent voters reg Frank Poole at 76
1920 Robert Adkins and his wife at 76
There is a gap as there were no e rolls during the war and the register before (1912) does not seem to include a voter at 76 - he could have been living there without a vote of course.

Back